Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
How about this little cottage? Is the rent reasonable?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29129851.html
Deleted by me - double post
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

How about this little cottage? Is the rent reasonable?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29129851.html
Cheers - That's adorable!

I can't comment on the rent really but from what I have seen of other properties on RightMove, it looks good to me.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

E hum is there an error here? Did you mean to say UK and not USA???
Ahh so right, Cheers!! Thank you. I went and changed it
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

This is less money and I'm sure they allow pets.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32967128.html

Now I could bring the back garden around. Now could you girls do something with the inside the house.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong like what said that you look at move "as not going BACK home" I'll have to think of that.. I leave in a few weeks for a 5 to 6 week trip to UK. Taking advantage as not sure when will be able to do again as Americans don't get any decent vacation time unless say with same company for many years..
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Windsong like what said that you look at move "as not going BACK home" I'll have to think of that.. I leave in a few weeks for a 5 to 6 week trip to UK. Taking advantage as not sure when will be able to do again as Americans don't get any decent vacation time unless say with same company for many years..
Ain't that the truth.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
DDL thanks so much for posting this and in this way letting us join in as well! A wonderful thing that so much money has been raised.

I too love the way the whole country unites over things like that--also the 2 minute silence on Armistice Day and other such things like after 9/11--I guess because, unlike in big sprawling USA, it is small enough geographically, everyone reads the same newspapers etc. (I'm not trying to start another US v UK comparisons conversation here, though!).

Thanks,

Tina
That's grounds for a war lol!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
I did it.....went back to the dealer after my cousin had spoken to them and took it for test drive. I warned him he could be in for a rough ride but said he did not scare easily. He said would you like to try the dual carriageway and "I said sure but I'm not ready for the Motorway". We ended up driving back through Newton Abbott which was quite busy but went surprisingly well. The car drove beautifully so I put down a deposit and will now get insurance and pick it up on Wednesday. Perfect timing as we can use it next week for the move. Very impressed with the salesman Ross ........not at all pushy .
Thanks Grandma for the encouragement and Happy & Safe Driving.
David, so glad you are settling in well - and quickly. I never thought to ask until now but do you have a job over there? That's half the battle, I think.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
Great. Glad someone else wants to talk cars. I was just on the autotrader for the Uk to see what's around. I think I need a consumer reports book for used cars. What's a good one? By the way, I started up a car thread.
Look on here, they have reviews:

http://www.whatcar.com/
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Have a look at this site before you put your foot in your mouth any more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-4-review.html

The UK kids are a mixed bunch - they are not all Public School kids, and even some of those leave a lot to be desired. The bad language emanating from many of their mouths can be quite shocking - life has changed here in the UK. Regional variations allowed (my disclaimer).
I have had quite enough of your rudeness. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I picked this one.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31818551.html

New and had a nice view.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
First let me say thankyou all for your words of encouragement. I think I was a little jealous of those of you back home and how each one of you is so darned resolute. Each one of you has got the best attitude. The car and driving difficulties you just move right around it. Me I am such a weak willed person I gave up driving 10years ago when we moved to NH so now I am at the mercy of family to get me were I want to go. So again a big to each one of you for your determination. You do us women proud.

I have watched each one of you leave over the past 2 years and its been almost 3 years since we put our house up for sale. So here comes envy its like I have been standing on the pier waving goodbye to you all and waiting for my ticket and it never came.

HighSpeedGrandma... Thankyou for you words of comfort when i think of how you have coped with the changes in your life I should be ashamed of myself. I have to admit I see a different you since you have been back home more determined more sure of yourself. I am so glad.

Beedubya......Thankyou for the link to the cottage it is really very nice. I have alot to think about over the next few months as to were I want to settle when we eventually get back home.

Derrygirl......Family can be a help or they can be a hinderance. I have been going through some problems with my family back in the UK and its made me have second thoughts as to how near to them do I really want to live. I am torn between Lancashire and Cheshire but Chester would be my ideal place but I am considering down South or further up north. It gives me a headache just thinking about it. But one step at a time. Get the house sold first. When you have been away for so long you are afraid that you wont fit in and its sad because I really dont fit in here. My family in the UK just depressed the hell out of me this week.

Easterndawn...No update on wee mack.

Betweentwoworlds....Thankyou. I had always wanted to live in a small village because i thought it would be easier. A retirement complex is not my favourite place. I like to see children and just life in general you dont really see that in those places and you can get some very grumply old folk But on the other hand if you are close to town you can mix with other people. I just tend to feel when you are around alot of older folk you begin to think like them and they all tend to discuss their ailments and health problems.

Islandwoman120....Loved your pictures and from the look of your kitchen your little home must be lovely. Is that a fire alarm in that picture

Jasper123.....Your comment about your Mum was the best. It was as if the picture was finally finished when she said she was glad you were home. Must have done your heart good.

Thankyou Rodney for your encouragement I do have my moments of doubt and the next couple of months are going to be very stressful. Getting the house back in order for sale, not that its not already in shape but Spring Cleaning. I look at the windows and see the dirt, the fans are thick with dust the garden what I can see is full of downed branches and needs alot doing to it. The snow is still on the ground. We have to decided whether to stay with the same realter or get a new one. Looking at who has the lesser commision that might save a few dollars. But you are right there are ways around everything I was saying. But when we wait for a long time to do something you can think of lots of reasons why you shouldnt be doing it. I just need a kick in the pants now and again.
Trotty, I can relate somewhat. I have wanted to go back for so long and I am always overjoyed when someone here finally lands on British soil. I have a shed many a tear to think they are now back home. Often, like you, I wish it was me - and it will be when one day - when the time is right
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Huhhh here you are discussing cars and I'm miles/pages behind, Agree about the leaf, Insrastructure, electric cars are OK but I think the price of electricity will soar once we have lots of them... not sure if they are cleaner in the long run...
I think CNG is the best route but we aren't set up for that, CNG is plentiful and clean to burn, easy on the internal parts, again Infrastucture isnt handy... Honda's Hydrogen car looks promising long term too.

Jag XF a piece of Art, beautiful...

Nissan are Great cars, the Japanesse know how to design reliable cars... no question in my opinon... Love um...
Honda, Toyota fan here...

Toyotas here, too, FnC - for the last 25 years!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Great. Glad someone else wants to talk cars. I was just on the autotrader for the Uk to see what's around. I think I need a consumer reports book for used cars. What's a good one? By the way, I started up a car thread.
Good idea, Bandrui
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
To those of you who have been back in the USA now for, say, under a year, how are you "feeling" about living there now? You've been kind enough to tell us about what is new and different and how it compares to the "other" country you lived in, but how are you "feeling" about the move now that you have been back there a while?

Are you filled with enthusiasm for your future because you made the move? Are you feeling a sadness that you left your expat country? Are you feeling just all-round relieved? Do you feel as if you made the right decision for you? Are you feeling at peace? . . .
Windsong, I think you mean those who have been back in the UK not the USA???

It's only been 3 weeks for me but I tell you what I am CONSTANTLY amazed at how good the welfare system is in the UK.

Not for myself obviously but I hear little "stories" here and there.......and honestly my jaw drops at times.........

Today my mum was telling me about her brother (who recently died) his wife was classed as disabled as she is partially blind. This meant she was allowed some kind of allowance in order for them to buy a new car every few years. So even though she is disabled they were given (??) money to buy a car so he could drive her around, plus I think they didn't have to pay MOT or road tax?? My mum was a bit vague about this as she is not a driver.

http://www.financingretirement.co.uk...isability.html

She of course has her free bus pass which is eligible at off peak times anywhere in the UK I believe.

She doesn't pay rent on her council bungalow or council tax as she is over 80. She gets free prescriptions, eye tests, £300 a year heating allowance, doesn't pay for her TV licence. Last week the council put all new radiators in her bungalow, when they did the radiator in the bedroom was shorter than the old one, which meant that one part of the wall behind the new radiator was not wallpapered where the old one had been, so today she got a letter from the council asking would she accept a cheque for £50 for her to re-decorate the bedroom!!

Around these parts there are lots of people living the life of Riley, believe me!! Cars, overseas holidays, big tellies, bags of shopping delivered from Asda. Some of these people are younger than me, classed as "disabled," so don't have to work and their council rent is paid for them. I believe you also get all kinds of rent assistance if you are unemployed but I don't know much about that. I am not saying these people aren't disabled but a lot of them look pretty able bodied. I have said previously that my friend is a psychologist in Manchested employed to get these people off the disability pension and back into the work place, so I am not being horrible here just stating facts.

My sister in law is obese, she had the gastric bypass on the NHS, she has to walk with a stick because her knees have gone because of the weight, my brother doesn't work, they have all of the above, car, holidays, big telly, shopping delivered etc., yet neither of them work nor have done for some years.

I am amazed at the very large, soft, comfy, safety net here, so whereas in Australia I was pretty scared of growing old there ESPECIALLY regarding housing, here I know I will be looked after when retirement comes or if I take ill and can't work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.