Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

HighSpeedGrandma.......so good to hear from you. Kept wondering what was happening to you. I cannot believe how well you are doing. You might be nervous but good heavens you know how to overcome it. Love the update and just waiting to see which job you get. You Anna and ED and Rodney have all come so far in the last year. Its wonderful to hear how well you are doing. Look forward eagerly to the next post.

Rodney....two cigs are fine then you will get it down to one

Charleygirl....Thankyou for coffee it was so nice to see you. Will miss you when you leave. Just under two weeks for you.

Fulwood.....I have been thinking hard about going home. I dont have any friends here in the US. The one friend I did have moved back to the UK and another is about to move back. I am constantly worried about how I will cope going back home and England will always be home to me. My worry is I am not getting any younger. I have many friends and family in the UK but my brothers are both sick so I will be left with nephews and nieces and that worries me. What happens if I get sick I have left my family back in the US what do I do. Move into a old folks home then whats the difference between an old folks home in the US or the UK. I've worked in them both and theres not much difference. Buses are fine but when we get older are legs dont work the same. Last week I was carrying a bag into the house from the car and it hurt my hand, I have arthritis in two of my fingers. Am I going to find it difficult to do my shopping . I am going to have to find somewhere in a small village but is that going to be like in the US were your not one of them till you have lived there for 20years. No good saying it doesnt happen because it does happen in the UK. People can be cool with you. I envy those of you in your 50's you still have time to make a new life but when you are nearing 70 it is alot different. I hope my rambling makes sense to some of you.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Let's face it, we all have very different circumstances, even though we all apparently fit into the 50's to 60's at least looking to move back.

Some of us are going back to continue working while others will be retired. Some have significant family waiting for us while others have none or next to none. Some may have a stash while others will be looking to live of a State Pension, maybe coupled with SS. Some have been away far longer than others and the change and possible culture shock would be much greater. Some have health issues that they are looking forward to having addressed in the less expensive environment of the NHS.

Your individual circumstances will govern the predicament that you would find yourself in when you return and the reasonable chances that you would have of making it work. The very fact that we are all looking to return to the UK says that there is something that we are missing in one way or another or something we no longer want to deal with where we are right now, that either way, returning home, we think, will address for us.

The more you are unsure about the move the more you might want to ease into the move slowly by testing things out and acting as though you have moved. Spend time over there and go through the motions and maybe don't burn any bridges. Check out posters with what you perceive as being similar circumstances to your own and see how they are addressing the issue. We Brits are cagey so we can't really get into the skin of other posters without some effort. Some posters are extremely self-reliant and others less so. I for one cannot afford another expensive relocation in terms of cost and emotional stress if it is going to turn out abortive. That is why some of the reading on the boards is so interesting and helpful. My usual two cents or less.
Hi Fulwood,
Further to what PistolPete2 has said above, I would add that based upon what you (Fulwood) have written, it doesn't have a high probability of working out for you, at this time. i.e. if you feel that it won't work,
"I am not sure if I will ever move back but know will give it a shot but have a feeling that been gone too long and not sure can turn back the clock.", then this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I have been in this frame of mind myself and the situation you describe, which is probably why I have not moved back before.
What I am trying to say is that, if you move back with the expectation that it will not work, it likely won't. Perhaps it is not the right time. Only you can answer that. I say this because it has changed for me. For the first time in 40 years I know it is the right thing for me to do... to move back to the UK. I know it is not all going to be easy but I am going to do everything in my power to make it work.
Perhaps the first and most important question to ask yourself is "What do I really want?" If it is to move back to the UK, then I think you can make it work. If you are unsure, perhaps wait until you have more certainty.
I wish you the very best with your decision.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
HSG,

Some of us are car enthusiasts on here so you have to tell us what kind of car you got.

Cheers
Hi Cheers and anyone else who would like to give me some car advice:
I have been thinking a lot about what kind of car I should get when I move back to the UK.
Right now I have a Nissan 240SX which I adore... sporty, lots of power, 4 cyl, good on gas, low maintenance, great handling, not for snow and ice,
and I have a Toyota 4 x 4 pick-up truck... very useful, great on gas, good on snow, works for my gardening jobs, etc.
I love cars, always have, and do not want a boring run-of-the-mill car. Ideally I would like something that has the benefits of both of these since I certainly do not want to be running 2 vehicles in the UK.
I was talking to the owner of the local garage today and he said I should take a look at the Nissan Skyline. (I am a big Nissan fan.) Not available here but made for the European market. I checked online and yes, I would definitely like that but not very useful if I end up gardening there and probably not good on ice and snow either. It's a dilemma because I want a car that is sporty and fun with great handling but also practical and economical to run and able to be used for gardening (though the gardening is perhaps just a maybe).
I do not like squared-off designs. I like something smooth and sleek, low maintenance, good acceleration and good mileage. I think perhaps what I am looking for doesn't exist but any ideas?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hello, hello, hello.
Again, it's been ages since I have had a chance to get on here. But I did say I would give an update when I had actually moved to England, well, I think I said that.

So for interested parties, after spending 7 months with daughter number one in Hong Kong I returned for a five week visit to the US before leaving for England.
As it happened, US hubby lost his job in January which meant both of us were unemployed, which is not good. No money coming in and me about to leave for England, not conducive to peace of mind.

However, the flight was already scheduled and paid for so on March 8th 2011 hubby took me to the airport and we said our goodbyes. Of course I will be going back for visits and he can come here any time he chooses, so we aren't saying goodbye forever...not at this point anyway. Who knows what will happen down the road.

I arrived at London Heathrow on March 9th, with trepidation and excitement that my actual return to living in the UK was finally right now. I had been dreaming of this for years.

I am staying at daughter number two's house. I already had an appointment set up with a job agency for Thursday 10th March at 10am. I had barely given myself chance to think about jet lag. So I arrived back at my daughters place about just after noon.

The next day I had to drive her car! I was terrified. I am the type of person who just gets so nervous I feel nauseous when I have to do anything out of my normal daily organized routine! Creature of habit is the definition of me. Take me out of my comfort zone and I melt into a heap of uselessness!

Daughter drove me to the job agency to show me where it was, then I dropped her off at work and drove back to her place. I have to add that as soon as I arrived in the UK back at my daughters place the first thing I did was download UK maps onto my Garmin navigator. I knew I had the job agency interview the very next morning and didn't have a clue where it was when I set it up.

On the way back from dropping my daughter off at work, which is about 8 minutes from where she lives, my garmin said the battery was low. No problem I thought, I will just put the charger on when I drive to the interview.
I got back to my daughters to find that I had not brought the garmin car charger with me from America. I completely panicked! Ridiculous, but I did.
It's like everything hit me all of a sudden.

Here I was in the UK after 20 years of living out of it. I had an agency interview set up for job searching and I was still jet lagged and totally fuzzy.

I decided there was no way on earth I was capable of driving to the agency and I phoned my daughter in a panic, basically blathering about "I can't use my GPS! There is no way I can drive your car! I don't know where I am going. I want to go back to America right now". And I was only half kidding.

I decided I would get a taxi to the agency! And before I left I went online and ordered a charger for my garmin and asked for fast delivery!!!

Once the fear of driving and getting lost had been put off I calmed down and caught the taxi. It must have taken her five minutes to drive me there. She was a lovely lady and we had a good old chat.
She asked me what sort of work I wanted and I said I didn't want any if I had the choice but seeing as I was unemployed for the last seven months and I was now returning to the UK after 20 years in the US, I would take pretty much whatever I could get.

She told me to not just take any old job and to use this time as a chance to do something I really want to do. She said there were all sorts of training schemes you could go on and get grants for (not exactly true I found later) and she wished me luck.

The agency person I met with was absolutely lovely. Very friendly. She made me a cup of coffee and also got me a glass of water and we just chatted for a while. She reviewed my CV and we talked about what kind of salary I was looking for.
She asked if I would do temp work until full time work came along and I said I would.

She then said after chatting to me for a while that she had a position that she thought I would be good for and she gave me the job specs to see what I thought. Still not really realizing that I am back here for good, and THIS IS IT, I said yep, send me wherever you like, it sounds fine, blah, blah, blah.

After leaving her I went for a walk around the area. This is Bournemouth, I am not too familiar with it, but I am learning. I was now feeling quite energized and optimistic after my agency meeting. They hadn't done any nasty tests, like I had to do in the US. Just asked questions and reviewed the CV.

I caught a cab back to my daughters. The total cost of the trip to the agency and home again cost me 16 pounds.

The rest of the day was spent job searching online and sending out my CV.

I got up the next morning about 8.30am. Just after 9.15am I got a phone call from the agency to say they had got an interview for me if I was interested, at the job she had mentioned and could I be there for 10.15am.

I was in my pyjamas, drinking tea and relaxing thinking I didn't have to stress myself out today. Then this! Panic mode again. I am useless, what can I say, I DO panic. I actually feel fine in my head, but my stomach churns, I feel nauseous and I get the collywobbles!

The place where I was to be interviewed was half an hours drive away. Luckily my daughter had not already taken her car to work so I was still able to borrow it. She called her boss and got a lift in!.

I dived in the shower and when I came out the full address for the interview was in my email. I put it in the garmin and it didn't come up! An address close by came up so I went with that.

I barely had time to think about being nervous when I was driving over to the interview. I found the nearby address and then couldn't find the actual place. I was trying all these locked doors on this industrial estate and none of them appeared to be open.

A delivery driver was making his rounds and I knew he was watching me as I went from door to door trying them all to see if I could find someone to ask directions from.
In the end he took pity on me and yelled from his cab "Hey love! You need to open the LEFT side of the door". I had been yanking on the right side. It never even entered my skull to try the other side!!!

I told him it was ok, I was just testing doors to see which way they opened (not really) and I asked him if he knew where the address I wanted was. He did. I got there 10 minutes late.

So, after being back in the UK I had my first interview on day 2!

I have sent my CV out to every single job that is even remotely possible. I have signed up with agencies. Signed up online and went to the UK jobcentre site where you can get info on jobs.

I signed on for jobseekers allowance. I have no idea whether I will qualify, but I have to go and sign on every 2 weeks They have lists of jobs they will go over with you. But you have to take ANY job that you can get and it has to be up to 60 minutes travel time from where you live.

I am now in the process of updating my driving licence, I changed name and address since I got it thirty years ago so I am basically having to send off my passport and old driving licence to get one of the new digital card licences. I posted the passport and application off the morning special delivery.

I got a call from the agency yesterday to say that the job I interviewed for was still interviewing this week but she wanted me to know that the other people they had interviewed were not being brought back for a second interview, but at this point I was still in the running!
I was amazed, because I 100% thought I had not got the job. I just FELT like it.
So I was very surprised to hear that I was still in the running.

The agency lady said she was really pushing me for the job as the hirer had a few concerns about whether I would be able to pick up the English payroll system. She said she told her that that would not be an issue as I had been able to pick up the American system quickly enough.

I have a couple of concerns about the job, which is the pay and the parking or lack of parking thereof. There is talk of having to get buses or trains into the office, because they are moving to central Poole.
But just the fact they are even considering me has been a huge boost of confidence.

There is so much more I could write about. Like another online agency wanting to charge me 179 pounds to do my CV. I can't afford that.

I have a second hand car! I am now mobile.

And for those with any concerns about buying second hand cars from dealers, so far this dealer has been fantastic. They put a new radio/cd player in, come to pick me up when the car was ready for me to collect and (I collected it just yesterday) and were very nice when I called this morning to say the electrical warning light had come on and that the interior lights do not come on the panels at night.
He said they hadn't checked that because they hadn't driven it in the dark and he laughed. And regarding the electrical light he said they would hook it up to a machine tomorrow and check everything was ok.
So, very helpful for a car that was well under 2000 pounds.

If ANYONE has any questions about moving back to the UK and what I have found so far feel free to ask.

I haven't been able to open a bank account yet because I have no proof of address. My daughter has put a bill of hers in my name and I am waiting for that to arrive.
Other than that I have had no trouble getting my NI number or getting a car as long as you pay cash of course, and driving in the UK again is actually fun once you get over the fear. You just don't forget how to change gears whether they are on the left or the right. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can!!

That's it for now.
I won't bore you any more.

Any replies, comments would be more than welcome. I am spending some time between job apps coming online.
Hi HighSpeedGrandma, I was thinking of you and your family this week, as I could not remember if you daughter and her family were in Hong Kong or Japan. I was very relieved to see that it was the first. I hope that everything works out for you, welcome back.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HighSpeedGrandma;

I really appreciated both your posts and the amount of detail you gave. Not at all boring. I find it so helpful to receive these details since there will come a point (hopefully) when I am going through the same situation. I was so encouraged to hear that you are driving around already. I am a bit leery about driving on the opposite side of the road and hope I don't end up on the wrong side of the road or going around a roundabout the wrong way . I had this idea to make 2 simple stickers for the dash - one with a diagram of a car on the correct side of the road and one with a circle with an arrow around to indicate which way to approach the roundabout, but you certainly seem to have become comfortable with the driving very quickly. Good for you!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Well here I am about to spend the last night in my apartment here in Jersey City. In my 21 years of living here in Jersey City I have never been more than a 10 minute walk from the water front on the Hudson - with the view over to Manhattan. I was just over there absorbing the view for one final time - a view I have seen change quite drastically in these 21 years. It was a clear evening and I was there as twilight was falling - and the city looked beautiful. For a moment I felt sad and I wondered if I was making the right decision - remembering all the fun times I have had here in the past 22 years living close to and working in one of the most colourful and diverse cities in the US.

But I know in my heart it's the right thing to do and I am ready for the next phase of my life as I edge towards the big 50 - I want to be connected to my roots and that is back in the UK where my family is and who have all said how much they want me home.

So tomorrow I'll close on this place and hand the keys over to someone else. I'm off to a friends for a week so I can decompress and sort out the paperwork I put to one side as I rushed to get everything sorted - scanning and shredding. This is the one person who I will miss - she has been a dear friend for 20 years - we met because she was dating another ex-pat who I had connected with through the agency I came over with originally. Not sure where Gary is now but Lyn and I became firm friends - I hope we can continue to connect and that she will come visit me in the UK.

So my internet availability will be a little sporadic over the next week but I will post on the going home thread prior to the 26th - when I fly.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life.
Congrats and best wishes!

Tina
Old Mar 18th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Fulwood.....I have been thinking hard about going home. I dont have any friends here in the US. The one friend I did have moved back to the UK and another is about to move back. I am constantly worried about how I will cope going back home and England will always be home to me. My worry is I am not getting any younger. I have many friends and family in the UK but my brothers are both sick so I will be left with nephews and nieces and that worries me. What happens if I get sick I have left my family back in the US what do I do. Move into a old folks home then whats the difference between an old folks home in the US or the UK. I've worked in them both and theres not much difference. Buses are fine but when we get older are legs dont work the same. Last week I was carrying a bag into the house from the car and it hurt my hand, I have arthritis in two of my fingers. Am I going to find it difficult to do my shopping . I am going to have to find somewhere in a small village but is that going to be like in the US were your not one of them till you have lived there for 20years. No good saying it doesnt happen because it does happen in the UK. People can be cool with you. I envy those of you in your 50's you still have time to make a new life but when you are nearing 70 it is alot different. I hope my rambling makes sense to some of you.
Oh Trotty you do sound down and worried, understandably so. You are right that it's harder when one's older, in any country. Perhaps you've already looked into services for older people in the UK? I was under the impression it was a bit easier in England because of better public transport, buses to and from the shops etc, and also more in the way of home visiting and help to stay in one's own home--so I thought but could be wrong.

Why do you say you are going to have to find somewhere in a small village? Wouldn't a retirement complex in a town be better, easier to shop etc? I'll never forget an older lady I met on a plane once, visiting son or daughter in USA, who said she lived in retirement housing in Wells (!!!!! in Somerset, one of the most beautiful places possible, with one of the loveliest cathedrals in England) and could walk to shops easily etc etc....sounded ideal to me.

But perhaps you have explained before why a village is your first choice....

Anyway, I do hope you see light at the end of the tunnel, and are able to sell that house now spring is--surely even in New Hampshire?!--here at last!

Tina
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bandrui
HighSpeedGrandma;

I really appreciated both your posts and the amount of detail you gave. Not at all boring. I find it so helpful to receive these details since there will come a point (hopefully) when I am going through the same situation. I was so encouraged to hear that you are driving around already. I am a bit leery about driving on the opposite side of the road and hope I don't end up on the wrong side of the road or going around a roundabout the wrong way . I had this idea to make 2 simple stickers for the dash - one with a diagram of a car on the correct side of the road and one with a circle with an arrow around to indicate which way to approach the roundabout, but you certainly seem to have become comfortable with the driving very quickly. Good for you!
just my take on it, but on arrival in the US my oh had me driving the same day, and on return to Oz I chose to get in straight away again. For me, I am sure the more I thought about it the more nervous I would become, so I just got on with it and the main thing I did wrong was get in the wrong side and wonder where the steering wheel went.

I didnt get nerve wracked until it was time for the driving test!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
just my take on it, but on arrival in the US my oh had me driving the same day, and on return to Oz I chose to get in straight away again. For me, I am sure the more I thought about it the more nervous I would become, so I just got on with it and the main thing I did wrong was get in the wrong side and wonder where the steering wheel went.

I didnt get nerve wracked until it was time for the driving test!
Thanks. The more posts like this that I read, the more I think "Yeah. I can do it." I'm sure I shall be fine when the time comes. Love driving anyway.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 7:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya, whereabouts are you? I am so sorry I am NOT up to date on everyone's latest, but I am very curious to know where you are. Those taxi prices sound very similar to mine for a similar distance. I suppose that is the going rate though.

My interview was at 10.15. I got there 10 minutes late and I was out of there by 11 as the next person had arrived. So who knows! We had the same length interview too!
Hi, I am in the "grim Northern town" of Runcorn..........for now...............who knows where I will end up.

Same here, everybody paying high rent (except for council house tenants) and paying through the nose for petrol, but everybody looks cheeful and are planning their next overseas holiday.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:46 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
HighSpeedGrandma;

Hi bandrui.
21 years practically since I last drove here. That is a lifetime for someone!

What I have to say is that since I left, the road signs, directions and lane markings are very good and a complete joy compared to over there. I always thought that driving in America was a nightmare, where I lived anyway, because no one followed lane etiquette.
Over in the US there are hardly any warnings that you will have to change lanes to exit, or signs are so small you miss them.

Over here I was a bit confused at first about which lane to get in for going around roundabouts. Going from memory. But I have found a lot of the bigger roundabouts have 3 lanes on entrance, one for turning left, which is on the left before you enter the roundabout, one in the middle if you are taking the second exit, and one on the right if you are going right around to the 3rd or later exit.
You quickly pick it up just following other traffic. If you read the signs, get a sat/nav that tells you EXACTLY where to turn in plenty of time before you turn etc you will be fine.

Just remind yourself that you should always be the closest to the middle of the road. If you are driving and your passenger side is closest to the middle of the road you are going the wrong way..on straight roads.
Roundabouts are fine. You will see what everyone else is doing and just follow that. If you take a while to enter the roundabout to get your bearings, that's fine. Whoever is behind you can just flipping wait.

I think they should make car stickers, a bit like learners stickers, that you can stick on the car saying "Just returned from -insert whatever country here-so bear with me while I get used to driving with you lot". But that would be rather a large sticker.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Mar 18th 2011 at 9:02 am.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:51 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi, I am in the "grim Northern town" of Runcorn..........for now...............who knows where I will end up.

Same here, everybody paying high rent (except for council house tenants) and paying through the nose for petrol, but everybody looks cheeful and are planning their next overseas holiday.
Exactly. Whatever the problems, at the end of the day it is your home, your roots and who you are. For most of us anyway as we get older.

I heard nothing but doom and gloom on the news in the US. Where I worked the stress level was very high. The people were great, but the stress was just awful. And I really at heart had nothing in common with the people. I am amongst my fellow man again and it IS good.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Mar 18th 2011 at 10:29 am.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:01 am
I can't Re-Member

Originally Posted by trottytrue

Trottytrue.
First of all, I can totally understand your fear. One of the main reasons I am making the move now is because I didn't want to be in my seventies before I realised how much I really need to be back home. I know what you are worrying about, and it is all perfectly normal.

Let me just say, in the short time I have been here I have found the brits very friendly. They think I am one of them because I speak the same I think! Village life is different nowadays to how it used to be. Many younger people move out there with their kids for a better safer way of life. I think you would be absolutely fine and make friends.
Move somewhere around Dorset and I can come and visit you!

Regarding shopping, do you know that if you have access to a computer you can do your grocery shopping online and Tesco's will deliver it to you. My daughter who is 30 does that. Not because she doesn't want to carry the shopping, but by the time she's paid the small delivery charge it's well worth it.
She spends more when she goes to the shop because she buys what she sees and not what she needs, so this way she shops online, they deliver it the next day and everyone is happy.
I know a lot of the supermarkets do that. And wherever you live there is always a food shop and or a pub not far away. Everywhere is pretty much within walking distance it seems.

You will be better off here I think. Ask me whatever you like and I will see if I can find out the answer for you now I am here.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 9:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue.
First of all, I can totally understand your fear. One of the main reasons I am making the move now is because I didn't want to be in my seventies before I realised how much I really need to be back home. I know what you are worrying about, and it is all perfectly normal.
HIGHSPEED GRANDMA

I agree and probably why so many of us have escaped while we still can. Just look at the amount of us on here, I wonder how many others are "out there" doing this without the support and friendship of this forum?

TROTTY TRUE

Surfing the net (as you do) on Rightmove I have somehow ended up on this page, you will probably know Styal, it's quite near to Manchester airport in our neck of the woods.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33031802.html

A nice little cottage to rent very reasonable for the area, and if you download the attached brochure at the bottom of the page you will see it is owned by the National Trust and the chairman is HRH Prince Charles!!

Now how's that for a fancy landlord, that would be one to brag to the grand-children about.

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 18th 2011 at 9:54 am.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Hi bandrui.
21 years practically since I last drove here. That is a lifetime for someone!

What I have to say is that since I left, the road signs, directions and lane markings are very good and a complete joy compared to over there. I always thought that driving in America was a nightmare, where I lived anyway, because no one followed lane etiquette.
Over in the US there are hardly any warnings that you will have to change lanes to exit, or signs are so small you miss them.

Over here I was a bit confused at first about which lane to get in for going around roundabouts. Going from memory. But I have found a lot of the bigger roundabouts have 3 lanes on entrance, one for turning left, which is on the left before you enter the roundabout, one in the middle if you are taking the second exit, and one on the right if you are going right around to the 3rd or later exit.
You quickly pick it up just following other traffic. If you read the signs, get a sat/nav that tells you EXACTLY where to turn in plenty of time before you turn etc you will be fine.

Just remind yourself that you should always be the closest to the middle of the road. If you are driving and your passenger side is closest to the middle of the road you are going the wrong way..on straight roads.
Roundabouts are fine. You will see what everyone else is doing and just follow that. If you take a while to enter the roundabout to get your bearings, that's fine. Whoever is behind you can just flipping wait.

I think they should make car stickers, a bit like learners stickers, that you can stick on the car saying "Just returned from -insert whatever country here-so bear with me while I get used to driving with you lot". But that would be rather a large sticker.
Loving your posts HighSpeedGrandma having just returned and about to buy a car this weekend hopefully. We have looked at a few but when they say would you like to take it for a test ride I just say "I will come back".
This weekend I will get in the car and drive it and buy it. Have seen a Volkswagen Polo 2006 with only 9000 miles at a decent price. My cousin is trying to get the price down for me as I write. Have sent off our passports and Driver Licenses to Swansea and are awaiting the British ones. Looking at Insurance options now. Keep your posts coming and welcome home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.