Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Ed...

Im sorry to hear your husband is still in hospital, at least its something that can be controlled, My best wishes go to him.

Mitsubishi Shoguns are very good, Id bet they are heavy on Diesel or gas, and expensive on Insurance, thats just my opinon, I can understand your safety reasons, Bigger always feels safer.
Good Luck no matter what you decide...
An alternative might be an older Volvo (strong safety features, diesel should be relatively inexpensive and I'm guessing insurance would be reasonable).

Can't imagine driving a gas-guzzler here - I'm amazed sometimes to see the likes of a Ford Excursion on the roads here (maybe 12 miles to the gallon, I'm guessing).
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Can't imagine driving a gas-guzzler here - I'm amazed sometimes to see the likes of a Ford Excursion on the roads here (maybe 12 miles to the gallon, I'm guessing).
12 mpg, hahahaaaaa Excursions are Monsters, I work on them, infact they dont make them anymore.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

An alternative might be an older Volvo (strong safety features, diesel should be relatively inexpensive and I'm guessing insurance would be reasonable).

I agree with the Volvo suggestion it has always been my first choice but unfortunately I have to hope that my friends son will be able to get me financing as therefore I have to go with what is available, of course it limits my sights when it has to be a automatic. The travel is costing me a total of £440.00 per month as it costs me £200.00 for the monthly pass on the trains and because of where I live and where my office is from the train staions i have to taxi it back and forth from both, thereore adding another £12.00 per day to the mix. This does not include if I have to go for a big grocery shop or anywhere that a bus or train does not go to and at the endo fo all this I have nothing to show for it.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
Don: Just want to good luck with the flight home, have been lurking for some months.

Bee: Good luck too.

I am not in my 50's but early 40's but enjoy reading your discussions and will be returning on the 22nd March
Mrs Bucket welcome to you, Oh yes you are so lucky going back to Devon,
Come on let us know your story, how long have you been in the States?
Rodney.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I wonder how embarrasing he will be this time..maybe his wife will give the Queen a hug..geez.
I think this time Michelle will probably high five the Queen
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Only 2 more sleeps before we fly home, the past few days have been filled with visiting friends and eating out, everyone wants to take us for food.Today will be another long lunch. We no longer have a car that went yesterday. Tomorrow we are going to Orlando to stay with a friend who will take us to the airport on Monday.Then Tuesday morning we will arrive at Gatwick. Safe journey to all you are flying in the next few days I think there are 4 of us .
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I just returned from going to a really nice young NHS Doctor who was appalled with the follow up on my surgery that i recieved in the US, and is getting me on a follow up schedule, "the UK way of doing things" asap. He said 6 months is ridiculous amount of time to wait for a next scan after cancer. I was very impressed, they also have me all set up for other "female" appointments. Its wonderful, and I havent spent a dime..
Other than that I have probably gained 10 pounds from eating all my favorite food. The weather has been a bit glum, but its actually a nice change from endless sunshine. I have been to a couple of differnt towns shopping, Melton Mobray, Grantham, Newark. I love the ancient little tea rooms et.
Going to start looking for a job next week, and I have a couple of driving lessons set up with a loal instructor, just to get used to this driving on the wrong side of the road stuff..lol.
You must be getting very excited now Bee, and Don is almost here too.
I must say, I havent missed the US yet, only my friends.
Jackie..
Well Jackie thanks for the update, and very good news that you have a good Doctor who believes that your follow ups should be more frequent,
I havent missed the States at all, and Ive been here almost 3 months now,
I wonder when people refer to the honeymoon period --- have I passed that stage yet I wonder?

Barb, you talk about when you get back home you will be (the real me) well Im sure you (will)be eventually
Me well still I havent got back to the (real me) Im afraid it will be a long road back to that free & easy person I once was, I want to get that same personality back again that I used to have, but I will say that even though that I feel different and definitely much happier, I still have to learn to relax,
I will get there though,

Don & Tim Bon Voyage to you, and good luck Don putting on your trousers in that small loo on the plane, I can just imagine you hopping from one foot to the other
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:14 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been surprised at the increasing number of large vehicles people are driving over here. You gotta ask yourself: "Why?" Petrol's at an all-time high, roads and parking spaces haven't gotten any larger....

My driving lessons are in a Ford Focus which is a nice size.

Today will be my 5th lesson and I think I'm going to book in another 5. Am scheduled to take the Theory exam in early March and hope to be ready for the Practical exam by the end of March.

I'll be so glad when all this is over!!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I am a little sad to see so many shops in the highstreet closed down, but I think that car prices seem very cheap compaired to the US. Everyone seems to be into all the latest tech stuff, and I think that is cool...
the NHS is wonderful so far, and I sent away for my NI number because I had lost that years ago, and got it back in a matter of days..very impressed with that. Overall I am enjoying being here so far, and cant wait until I can start to drive with confidence and be a little more independant.
jackie..
Jackie what are you going to do with getting your British Drivers licence?
Turn in your Nevada one for a British one like me?
Only thing I dont feel good about giving up my Nevada licence, I just renewed it before I left for 4 more years, --- I too will be taking a few refresher lessons to get used to the different road signs and laws and roundabouts, hey Jackie remember that roundabout in Vegas up where we lived, it was roundthe civic center area I think? but i think there were a few more but thats the only one i knew of, I think the biggest thing we have to get used to is driving on the wrong side of the road,
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Only 2 more sleeps before we fly home, the past few days have been filled with visiting friends and eating out, everyone wants to take us for food.Today will be another long lunch. We no longer have a car that went yesterday. Tomorrow we are going to Orlando to stay with a friend who will take us to the airport on Monday.Then Tuesday morning we will arrive at Gatwick. Safe journey to all you are flying in the next few days I think there are 4 of us .
Good luck on your trip..I am sure you are excited..
jackie
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wawa
Bee, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Terminal 3 is newish ('09, I think) and serves Etihad Airlines. The Airport itself boasts some interesting architecture, but is clean and not very large so its easy to negotiate. Its one of the nicer airports in the middle east, in my opinion. There are a number of shops to browse so dont forget to get back on the plane!
Barb where is that place? where your plane lands is that in India?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
OK it has just been announced, a few minutes ago, that Obama is to make a state visit to the UK in May. He is going to personally demand why he wasn't invited to the royal wedding in April

So my beef is although I think he is one of the best presidents we've had in my life time and he appears to be squeaky clean and so with all these cut backs do we have the money for this trip??? The Brits are saying the same thing about what it is going to cost them.

Is Obama a British citizen through his father who was from Kenya? (I thought I would jump on the bandwagon about his nationality and religion)

Unlike one previous post I have a sneaky feeling that he will not get elected to another term. I think the corporations have already decided that and what they say goes and the people don't have a say in the matter.
WoW cheers, do you really believe he one of the best Presidents ?? I cant even imagine that!!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
I think this time Michelle will probably high five the Queen
I remember that the Queen made it known how much she loved Michelle after that last little firestorm. Don't think she found it embarrassing at all - probably the first nice American tourists she ever met

I'M JUST KIDDING BEFORE SOMEONE GETS MAD AT ME!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 12:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

WoW cheers, do you really believe he one of the best Presidents ?? I cant even imagine that!!
Seconded. The best I have known.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Mrs. Bucket. Nice to have you here. The Mac alternative that I have is called Hide My IP. You will find it if you do a Google search for it. There is a 14-day free trial and after that you can buy it for about $25 or around that. It will give you IPs from other countries, too, but I just keep cycling and I hit upon a UK IP address about one every six hits. Its good.
Thanks windsong, will have a go later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.