Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Derrygal
There has been a lot of talk about food on this thread. I haven't lived in the UK for over 20 years, but I have shopped in grocery stores when I have been staying with family on vacations back there. I don't think food is really any cheaper there than here - that's my opinion. However, I do think the quality and variety of food in the UK grocery stores is superior to any found here in the US. Everything is so sweet here - they use high fructose corn syrup in so much stuff. It takes me forever to shop now - reading labels, have to get the old reading glasses out!! I tried bi-focals but just could not get used to them at all!!
Yes thats what I was saying a few days ago about all that ton of preservatives they seem to love putting in all there process food in the US, pick up any frozen Pizza and read all those ingredients at least 2 thirds of which are chemicals, I used to buy these nice chocolate cakes in Smiths you know nice full size ones --- well there made in there own bakery inside the freaking shop and you look on the package at the ingredients and they go on forever, theres about 50 ingredients mostly chemicals/preservatives, OMG why do they put all that garbage in there?
Over here I have made it a point to compare the products ingredients here to the same type of food in US, well here in UK you will very rarely find any more then a couple of necessary preservatives and the rest are just food items they need for the recipe, --- I picked up a nice large (glass jar -- not plastic) of peanut butter here and it was not sweet like all the American ones Ive tasted, it was just delicious all you could taste was the peanuts, so I looked on the back at the ingredients and there were three only ---- roasted peanuts 95% cane sugar 2% vegatable oil 3% thats it !!!! and thats another thing I like about the food over here, it dont only tell you the ingredients but it tells you the exact percentage of each ingredient, Im sure that was one of the good things from the EU guidelines ---- limited amount of chemicals allowed and each ingredient must state the percentage of it in the product,
Happy eating
Rodney.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Some of you know of my enthusiasm for tea but you might not know about my little side hobby http://TeaInLondon.com

Anyway, the marketing folks at the London Hilton on Park Lane contacted me via Twitter the other day and offered to comp me 'and a friend' (which will be my husband, Tony) two Afternoon Teas tomorrow afternoon! We'll be served their standard tea which is called 'Confessions of a Chocoholic', and a preview of their upcoming Mothering Sunday Afternoon Tea.

It's been awhile since we've been into town so we're really looking forward to it. The plan is to do some shopping (probably more of the 'window' variety) on Oxford Street afterwards - to walk off all those scones and clotted cream!

Rosie, have you come across any tearooms in Frome?
My husband and I created/own http://GreatTearoomsOfAmerica.com, but we're also working on a UK version (http://UKTearooms.com) and I need to start building up the database.
I frequent one on Cheap Street, and there is another one to the south of town that I shall be going to on Tuesday. I will get you the links in a private message or email.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:31 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
So here, SoThere!
Welcome to the 'old farts' thread, though there are young ones on here too. Tell a bit more about yourself, as much as you care to: where in the Midwest are you located, where in the UK are you from/do you want to go to?

If you have read the thread from beginning to present, then you know us well - warts and all, and you have the upper hand.

Do tell! Rosie

Hi islandwoman: I just figured out how to do the "quote" thing.

I'm currently in Ohio, iced in, expecting more ice and snow later today and into tomorrow. Enough already of this winter!

I am, wait for it, and no beating me up from anyone please, a US person!!!

My Mother is from Wales (she's passed on) and with the new changes to the UKBA citizenship pages, I read that I am finally able to get my citizenship. I haven't started the procedures yet, but hope to do that soon. Children of British Mothers have been finally given "Permission" to register as British citizens. So, I hope they will approve me.

I have been to Wales several times and had a summer job in Cardiff- very exciting summer, by the way. Everyone from my Mom's family live in Wales. No immigrants, throughout the world, except for her. She never became a US citizen, proud of her past and shared that with her children.

Not giving my exact age, I fit into the age group of this thread's title.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoThere
Hi all,

I just joined the site and have read every page in this thread and the previous (Part I) since I found the site nearly a year ago.

Rodney: I am glad you love New Jersey- I'm a Jersey Girl and your
posts about NJ people made me happy.

I read with anticipation your posts about LV and moving
home. Glad you are now home and happy! Do us a favor- please change your current location under your name, I love
to read where people are now living.

I'm currently in the Midwest. Need to fill in the profile.

I finally got my nerve up to join the site, was going to do it months ago, but anyway...

I decided on my username after seeing it in Cheers' posts. It has two meanings for me: I am already "So there" relocated in my mind and heart and hands on hips, tongue out like a little tantrum we all have from time to time. Although I don't actually do that, have hands on hips thing.

I've laughed and been a bit shocked, I've cheered you people on and now I am here. I wish I knew Welsh, I'd write something appropriate here to end this post.
OK So There,
If you read every single post on part one and two you certainly deserve something? which goes back to around August 2009,
Yes I do love the New Jersey people, I think there sense of humor is great and I like there no BS approach to life,
OK come on tell us your story, you know mine and lots of others as you have followed our journeys, how old are you? married/single/divorced -- are you going to go back home to UK one day? where are you originally from?
I tried to change my profile and it dont seem to work for me, will you please show me how to do it
Rodney.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

SoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really niceSoThere is just really nice

Rodney said: "I picked up a nice large (glass jar -- not plastic) of peanut butter here and it was not sweet like all the American ones Ive tasted, it was just delicious all you could taste was the peanuts, so I looked on the back at the ingredients and there were three only ---- roasted peanuts 95% cane sugar 2% vegatable oil 3% thats it !!!!"

In NJ and here in Ohio I've bought natural peanut butter for years without all those nasties. Mine has peanuts and salt only, not even vegetable oil. Just have to give it a good stir to blend the natural oil which separates. I keep it in the fridge after opening. I switched from the expensive brand to a not familiar brand, I now pay $1.98 per jar. It's in the regular grocery stores with the Jif, Skippy, etc. on the same shelf.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:46 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
.....in UK you will very rarely find any more then a couple of necessary preservatives and the rest are just food items they need for the recipe.

This is pretty much true but there is a trade-off involved.

I have found that most Use By dates are very, very short. We do our grocery shopping once a week, on a Saturday, and I would say that about 90% of the food we purchase has a Use By date no longer than 5 days ahead - with the majority of that being only 2 or 3 days ahead.

Certain foods seem to go 'off' very quickly here. I'm thinking especially of bread and bread products like crumpets and hot cross buns (which we eat a lot of in our household!). I've had to bin more than one half-loaf-of-bread due to mold.

Obviously, who wouldn't prefer to eat healthier foods that contain less preservatives - but it does mean more planning with regard to your weekly menu.

I suppose it's not such an issue for people who can visit the grocery store more than once a week.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:52 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

My first forum challenge! I don't know, Rod, do you change the profile under the, "Edit Profile" link in the left sidebar under, "Your Profile?"

Secret, after you figure it out, please tell us. I haven't filled mine in yet incase I want to change it.

I answered a couple of your questions in previous posts. I am definitely an enigma, to myself, that's for sure.

I just got the dreaded blue screen on my computer, about 15min or so ago. That only happened once before and I lost all my photos, I hope that never happens again. I had scanned photos in and had photos I hadn't saved externally or printed, it was a big loss. If I disappear, I've got computer problems.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL

I have found that most Use By dates are very, very short. We do our grocery shopping once a week, on a Saturday, and I would say that about 90% of the food we purchase has a Use By date no longer than 5 days ahead - with the majority of that being only 2 or 3 days ahead.

Certain foods seem to go 'off' very quickly here. I'm thinking especially of bread and bread products like crumpets and hot cross buns (which we eat a lot of in our household!). I've had to bin more than one half-loaf-of-bread due to mold.

Obviously, who wouldn't prefer to eat healthier foods that contain less preservatives - but it does mean more planning with regard to your weekly menu.

I suppose it's not such an issue for people who can visit the grocery store more than once a week.
What about freezing some bread /crumpets?

Is there space at your MIL 's ?-you have prob thought of this already
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:27 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
What about freezing some bread /crumpets? Is there space at your MIL 's ?-you have prob thought of this already

Sometimes we'll freeze a loaf of bread (like when we knew the BIG SNOW was coming LOL) but there are 4 of us here (me and Tony; his mum and an adult disabled brother) sharing the fridge/freezer and the little compact freezer in the garage, which is quite small.

Having said that, I'm not much on bread that's been frozen, anyway ...

Now ICE CREAM is an entirely different story! And, oooo, the ice cream here is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL

Funny you should mention hot cross buns as I just bought some a few days ago and went to have one this afternoon with a cuppa and it had started to grow a little mold. Will have to be more careful and freeze them in the future or eat them all at once. Will look out for any nice tea rooms down in the West Country although I see you have already a few listed in Devon.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

On the subject of food prices I thought I would mention that the Co-op seems to have great specials on meat. Several times we have bought a selection of 3 packages of meat for 10 pounds. Picked up 1lb of hamburger, 3 boneless chicken breasts and a whole chicken which fed 4 people. Pretty good value I think !
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:40 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

When we buy imported English cheese, we're always a bit surprised at how quickly it goes off. Still, I'd rather have natural food that goes off quickly than stuff pumped full of chemicals to keep it fresh.

I remember when we first moved here being completely confused by how long we could keep milk. It just doesn't last that long naturally!

In NJ and here in Ohio I've bought natural peanut butter for years without all those nasties. Mine has peanuts and salt only, not even vegetable oil. Just have to give it a good stir to blend the natural oil which separates. I keep it in the fridge after opening. I switched from the expensive brand to a not familiar brand, I now pay $1.98 per jar. It's in the regular grocery stores with the Jif, Skippy, etc. on the same shelf.
Welcome SoThere! I buy the same stuff except I get it without salt too. It's a bit hard to stir round when it separates ... but good exercise for shaping your arms

Just went out to do some shopping and it's so awful out there. Rain, sleet and ice all mixed together and piles of ice and snow everywhere you look. Our climate is changing right in front of our eyes - I've lived here for 20 years and I've never known it this bad.

Looks like my beloved Lake District was wet today too, although about 15 degrees warmer http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:08 pm
Just a Walk in the Park

Sally said: Welcome SoThere! I buy the same stuff except I get it without salt too. It's a bit hard to stir round when it separates ... but good exercise for shaping your arms

Hi! Thanks for the welcome, I know that pb is so hard to stir, I almost bought the stirrer contraption from Smucker's but it's easier to use a knife and elbow grease and cheaper, too.

We are due for ice and snow ontop of the ice and snow already here. We have to get the Pet Safe deicer. The stores have all sold out of their regular deicing salt as well as the pet safe salt. I don't think the salt will work anyway, as it is so thick on the surfaces.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Hi! Thanks for the welcome, I know that pb is so hard to stir, I almost bought the stirrer contraption from Smucker's but it's easier to use a knife and elbow grease and cheaper, too.
Welcome So There!! Yes, I like that PB too. I usually leave it out of the fridge until I open it and this makes it a bit easier to stir, as its warmer. Once, its in the fridge, forget stirring it. I like it when I read the ingredients and it says "Just Peanuts".

Good luck with your plans for the UK.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
On the subject of food prices I thought I would mention that the Co-op seems to have great specials on meat. Several times we have bought a selection of 3 packages of meat for 10 pounds. Picked up 1lb of hamburger, 3 boneless chicken breasts and a whole chicken which fed 4 people. Pretty good value I think !
Asda does the three for $10 thing too, I thought it was great idea. I never did go in the Co-op while I was back, they one we used to use was gone.
Although we did check out Aldi's, Lidl, and another one I'd never heard of that sent a flyer out each week and had some great prices on it. Now that will bug me all day, they had taken over the old Kwiksave building near my Mum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.