Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
My council where I live have no discount for seniors no matter how old you are, if you live alone though you get 25% off, when my Mum was living alone she paid £90 per month ---- now Im back home and there are two people living here the council tax went up to £121 per month ---- which we pay half each --- just like everything else,
For the low income people who get income support etc, or people on the dole normally do not pay council tax, and most of the time there rent is fully paid too, or OAP'S on pension credit also get there council tax paid in full,
All this info above is universal all over England & Wales, not sure about the rest of the U.K. though.
Ah ok, thanks Jasper. There is a senior in my family who lives alone, and I knew she got a discount, I thought it was because of both factors. But if what you say is universal, then it's just because she lives alone. Therefore nor discount alas for couples.

Trotty, so good to hear about how well you were treated in the cancer unit, that is marvellous.

Of the four areas you mention, I'd choose Dorset--but then I don't know Lancashire at all, and have only seen bits of Norfolk (it's flat, but you have the sea, and more sunshine as it's east coast) and bits of Cheshire (the Cheadle area outside Manchester; the Peak District isn't far and is said to be beautiful). So what do I know?!

The notebook is great idea. And it's so nice you have friends there waiting, all hoping you'll go to their area!

Keep us posted, so nice to have you back.

Hi again to all newbies, don't let our happiness about hearing from old friends dissuade you from posting, as we love to hear from new ones as well!

Tina
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Come on Don and Rodney and tell us about the council tax for OAP.
Cheers - Sad to say--Exactly the same as for anyone else. We are now paying £1420 per annum.

If I was solo - i.e. without a live in Wife, lover etc., then I would be entitled to a 25% discount.

But no rebate for seniors. Take care, Don
Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
For the low income people who get income support etc, or people on the dole normally do not pay council tax, and most of the time there rent is fully paid too, or OAP'S on pension credit also get there council tax paid in full,
That's being altered, under more welfare cuts. Those of working age will be expected to now pay some towards their council tax, out of their benefit money. The worst scenario seems to be that a single on JSA, will have to pay about £4.50 per week from their JSA of £71pw (as well as paying all their utility bills, food, clothes etc from that £71pw).

Councils' can set their own rules and some are saying they won't pay out on properties on Band E or over (i.e. for someone in a Band E or over, councils will pay 80% of a band D and the claimant will pay the rest) I assume this will affect OAPs too, even though the government have asked councils' to protect those of pension age. Plus pension age is rising to 68. The idea being that the tax payer will no longer pay for people to live in expensive houses.

Other councils' are saying that they will collect more council tax from owners of empty properties, so that will affect people with holiday homes or those fixing up properties, regardless of their age.

Most councils are now running consultations on their cost cutting ideas, on their websites, for people to have their say on who should have to pay more to fund these council tax welfare cuts. You can look on your own councils site, to see how they are proposing to fund these cuts.

I replied to my councils' consultation and suggested they could save money by implementing a cut in councillors' expenses and less money being paid to council workers pensions out of council taxes; but I can't see the local councillors' voting for that!

Edited to say that the cut in council tax benefits are effective from 1 April 2013.

Last edited by formula; Aug 30th 2012 at 10:28 am.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My problem is with the campsite owners who say that it is against the law to allow you to sleep in the back of an estate, four wheel drive or van in a campground. I have spent time on the internet looking to see if I can find this law and have not come across it so far. I told the campground mangager that I spoke with that I was willing to pay the highest rate to be able to camp in the campground and was still refused.
I've always assumed that campsite owners can refuse who they like and set their own standards. We use to camp on one that would only take families with very young children.

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My issue is that if you are a woman alone and would like to be able to camp in your car you are being forced to put your safety at risk and camp in the open with very little or no safety.
If you are in the middle of nowhere with nobody else around, I can understand that. But in an area with lots of other tents: tents aren't spoundproof and for that reason, they should be safer. You can usually hear the person in the next tent, turning over on their airbed!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, just checking in, sorry just dont have time anymore to get online, been working 10 hours a day, looking after my ill mum before and after work.
Lovely to see trotty and ED back! Trotty, lets have coffee soon and ED I am sorry it did not all turn out as we had all hoped for you.
Life is much the same for me, happy to be home but it is a struggle and I continue to miss my family. Going back to NH on 12th Sept... I have given notice at my job, it has added years to me... have no idea what the future is ( or where).
I dont ever have any spare cash when all the bills are paid, but thankfully i have a little of my divorce settlement left but it will soon be gone... if I decide to return to the USA god only knows where I will work or how I will make it... but I miss my children soooooooo much.
Do I have any regrets, yes and no, it is way harder than I thought to be so far away from my own family, but it is lovely to be back in the UK and I do love it here.
Good luck to you all, and I will check in again soon.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi everyone, just checking in, sorry just dont have time anymore to get online, been working 10 hours a day, looking after my ill mum before and after work.
Lovely to see trotty and ED back! Trotty, lets have coffee soon and ED I am sorry it did not all turn out as we had all hoped for you.
Life is much the same for me, happy to be home but it is a struggle and I continue to miss my family. Going back to NH on 12th Sept... I have given notice at my job, it has added years to me... have no idea what the future is ( or where).
I dont ever have any spare cash when all the bills are paid, but thankfully i have a little of my divorce settlement left but it will soon be gone... if I decide to return to the USA god only knows where I will work or how I will make it... but I miss my children soooooooo much.
Do I have any regrets, yes and no, it is way harder than I thought to be so far away from my own family, but it is lovely to be back in the UK and I do love it here.
I think you have it right. Live in the UK and hop over to the US as is needed.
Maybe you can get your ex to kick in for your air fare each time you need to go.
Maybe your next job will be the one for you.
Did your son go back to the US?
Cheers
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Lovely to hear from you, charleygirl.

Glad you've given up that job--hope something else comes along that is better for you. So sorry to hear you are still so torn between UK and your children in the US--but it's entirely understandable.

Have a great trip back to NH in September! Sounds as if you're close to moving back--or perhaps it will depend on what happens with your ill mother--at any rate, best wishes for whatever you decide eventually, and in the meantime, good luck in the job hunt.

Tina
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

J.JsOH.....I just saw you live in Norfolk my friend in Chester has family that live in the area, they like it alot. I have been looking at the area and wonder if you know of a good hospital in the area and which area's do you think are the best. I have checked out some but they seem to have heavy concentration of holiday makers and holiday homes. I would like to steer clear of those area's as I find rents our much higher and traffic and people can become congested during the summer months. It was that way in Chester during the summer and at Christmas.

Charleygirl....Yes would love to get together will be in touch. Hope your Mum is feeling better I know she was ill last time we spoke.

Jasper123...Thankyou for your good wishes I will be emailing you soon.

Between two worlds....Yes it did help that I knew I was getting the best of care when I could not really make those decisions for myself.
I must admit I am very fond of Dorset I also have a friend that lives in that area. I am trying trying to find an area that is close to a larger town but not packed with visitors during the summer months. I like my peace and quiet. Like I said when you are near holiday area's rents are higher and house prices and if you want to rent you find many of them are only rented for the winter months. Lancashire has some nice area's but I want something warmer and like I said hospitals are not good in that area.
Even though I have friends I would like an area that I am comfortable in and able to be independent. So buses and trains would be nice.

To all who gave me the information on council tax thankyou. I have learnt many things from this forum but the most important has been having enough money to live on and still have a little left over to do the things you want. I realize what a struggle it can be when you don't have money.

Don...Hope you and your lovely wife are well.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Between two worlds....Yes it did help that I knew I was getting the best of care when I could not really make those decisions for myself.
I must admit I am very fond of Dorset I also have a friend that lives in that area. I am trying trying to find an area that is close to a larger town but not packed with visitors during the summer months. I like my peace and quiet. Like I said when you are near holiday area's rents are higher and house prices and if you want to rent you find many of them are only rented for the winter months. Lancashire has some nice area's but I want something warmer and like I said hospitals are not good in that area.
Even though I have friends I would like an area that I am comfortable in and able to be independent. So buses and trains would be nice.
Yes, you are right, the ideal would be to be close to a larger town and with good public transport, but not too crowded in summer.....I don't know Dorset--or any of the areas you mention--well enough to recommend a particular spot...

good luck in the search!
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

J.JsOH.....I just saw you live in Norfolk my friend in Chester has family that live in the area, they like it alot. I have been looking at the area and wonder if you know of a good hospital in the area and which area's do you think are the best. I have checked out some but they seem to have heavy concentration of holiday makers and holiday homes. I would like to steer clear of those area's as I find rents our much higher and traffic and people can become congested during the summer months. It was that way in Chester during the summer and at Christmas.

Charleygirl....Yes would love to get together will be in touch. Hope your Mum is feeling better I know she was ill last time we spoke.

Jasper123...Thankyou for your good wishes I will be emailing you soon.

To all who gave me the information on council tax thankyou. I have learnt many things from this forum but the most important has been having enough money to live on and still have a little left over to do the things you want. I realize what a struggle it can be when you don't have money.

Don...Hope you and your lovely wife are well.
Hello Again Avril, You should come here for a visit, Where I actually live with Tippawan, would probably suit you perfectly. Near to a good Hospital, Doctors, Shop, Dentist, Vet, Petrol & Pubs, yet near to City, Rail & Buses, and a very good market of over 200 stalls. Check out TF1 3QF and district surrounds on Google Earth.... Love Don
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I know you don't have any friends there, but when you described what you're looking for, I thought immediately of Skipton. It's a lovely market town and was just ranked as the #1 area of Britain to retire to and one of the reasons was the excellent hospital. Another was the public transport (great buses and trains into Leeds from where you can take trains all over the country). There are villages to the south of Skipton (Cononley for example) that are not particularly touristy - the ones to the north are into the Dales, so that's no good.

It's also a quick drive to Lancashire and Cheshire from there - and a really scenic one too.

idk - I suppose it won't work but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

Hi again to all newbies, don't let our happiness about hearing from old friends dissuade you from posting, as we love to hear from new ones as well!

Tina
Yes I second this, always nice to hear other peoples stories, we are all in this together, all have so much in common,
Dont Just post something when you need some advice or to give advice ----
thats good too!!!!
But let us know your situation, fears, Joy, worries about coming home? are you torn between two countries like so many of us are? etc etc
I know that if it was not for this thread and all the people on it, I would not be home enjoying my retirement with my 93 year old Mum right now,

Im really happy now, ----- yes at times I miss America, but Im home and Im happy and Im very contented
Rodney.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rod,
I could have made it clearer. I think if I'm on holiday in another country I'm covered by medicare. Do you want me to get some more information?

We just hear Senator MacCain give his speech at the RNC. What a sick man! He wants us to send troops all over the world to protect all the countries. Where does he get this stuff from? Is he paid big time by lobbyists?

Cheers
Cheers we saw McCain on TV last night, he was just saying the usual stuff that the opposition parties say to each other ---- you know running each other down like they do, is McCain still in politics? goodness he looks so old now, about time he just retired and enjoyed his great big fat senators pension
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trotty,
We like Norfolk a lot too, especially the outdoors amenities and access to coast.

But there are drawbacks as you have found in that the north coast of Norfolk is only a couple hours drive from London and so the coast attracts a lot of 2nd homers and weekend visitors, avoiding the crowded SE of England yet bringing that crowding here. We don't like crowds and so during summer we tend to travel around the pretty places inland and visit the coast weekdays and the remainder of the year.

Talking to people on the bus and in pubs hereabouts we find many are retired (not necessarily the rich ones) Londoners that move to the country and villages between Lynn and Hunstanton. Further out from Lynn are market towns Fakenham, Swaffham, Dereham, Downham Market that are their own centres but would still have to come to Lynn (or Norwich) for Hospitals.

House prices are indeed higher in coastal villages and some of the inland prettier villages. We choose to live in North Wootton, a suburb on outskirts of King's Lynn, with good bus service, local amenities yet close access to trains and hospital and shopping or the countryside in the opposite direction.

Norfolk is flatter than say Devon but it easier walking the low rolling hills than the steeper areas of the country. There are still many areas that are pretty and not crowded and we can often see no one else on our 4 to 6 mile countryside walks. Sure we too like to visit Devon and such and see hilly places but Norfolk suits us just fine.

Major hospitals are in King's Lynn and Norwich. I know little about them but I don't see bad reports in newspapers / TV so I expect they are OK.
I found this website that allows area searches of hospitals anywhere in country
http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories...eType=Hospital

Trains terminals are at Kings Lynn and Norwich, running to Ely (connections to Midlands), Cambridge and London

Mind you, there are other nice areas all around the UK, I'm not saying Norfolk is the best place, each to their own, it suits us here but then so would plenty other areas. We happen to be familiar with around here since childhood and so know the places that meet our needs.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Aug 31st 2012 at 12:35 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou all for your replies I have been trying to find all the information I had written down but between moves I seem to have misplaced them. I am not sure where we will end up my doctor wants me to live close to a good cancer hospital. My niece in the UK did tell me that the Preston area is not good.

I have likes and dislikes about areas I would like to live you can find a nice area but the housing is really expensive. We are going to rent to begin with. I have friends in Dorset, Norfolk, Lancashire and Cheshire all wanting me to move to those area's. I have my trusty notebook that I am once again getting set up and a friend here in the US has been sending me listings of places that have been published in UK newspapers as being good places to live. I have to check to see if each place as a good hospital nearby.

I must tell you that the treatment I got here in the US was the best and the nurses were the kindest I never waited for treatement if my appointment was at 9 I was in at 9 they went out of their way to help and I was never once asked to pay anything. The home nurse who came every monday to insert the pump and Wednesdays to take it out was excellent.

Each Chemo treatment cost $40,000 every 2 weeks. The amount we owned at the end was $5,000 the hospital admin called and told me not to pay in full but to take a payment plan that was interest free. Patients who had no insurance where also treated and the hospital had a fund that took care of them. We had lunch provided for us and a kitchen that we could use one of my nurses was from England. My Doctor was the kindest and most caring person I have ever met. I got calls during the week to make sure I was alright and a telephone number to call anytime day or night if I felt sick. On one occasion when I was not feeling well I called in at the unit late in the day and the nurses stayed on to give me extra fluids and made me a drink of tea.
Before I began my treatments I got a tour of the cancer unit and met my nursing team they explained what was going to happen and asked did I want to see a list of the drugs I would be given. I will always be grateful to them. They have an art class that is held every Friday for Cancer patients which I attend even though I am the worst . On the day of my first treatment I was given a blanket made by local women and a prayer shawl.
Dear Trotty
So glad to hear you are doing so well and are already planning your next move. It is so good to know you are pleased with your medical treatmnt.
Both my husband and myself are on Medicare now. We have a brilliant Johns Hopkins internal medicine doc as our primary physician. My husband had a knee replacement two weeks after his tests with an orthopedic surgeon. We had two other opinions first st no cost to us He has never had an issue since....and totally free financially ....including 3 days in hospital and 8 in a rehab centre. Ten weeks later he came with me to Australia...and since Russia, UK and Sweden. Two years later he still has no problems. I have had issues with lymphedema in my legs (born with)....three or four months of therapy upon request....three times a week. Not sure Medicare can sustain tihis top notch treatment. We are able to pick our own specialists and never a wait to get an appointment. It is almost too easy. We have Blue Cross supplementary insurance and most of our prescriptions are $4 or less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.