Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I seem to think we had a 2-3 feet in South Yorkshire between 66-70, it was pretty deep one year, and Fun, but then again I was only 10-14 at the time, everything seemed bigger then, hahahaaaaaa

Im sure Rodney is eating Porridge as we speak.
I remember some time in the 60's when we all got sent home from school because the boiler pipes had burst with the freezing cold weather.......and oh the cold, and we got chilblains soooo painful on your toes and fingers, and red marks on our legs off our wellies in the wet LOL! The good old days?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
I feel I should be coming to the airports each time to welcome you all in.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats wonderful.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aries
I am in awe that so many people on this forum can book their flights home months ahead.

I have no idea when I shall be ready to return to England, but do know that I will probably want to book my flight only weeks ahead. I have a long history of quick decisions, such as deciding on Monday and leaving on Friday, or deciding on Friday and leaving on Monday. Nevertheless, I will see, if and when the time comes. Hopefully it will be in the European spring, 51 years since I came to Australia.
Hi Aries!
For quick decisions - I suggest you to use www.lastminute.com, and www.kayak.com type all detail in there, and each week they will post a price for you to see how they are going! dontheturner
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:03 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh Cheers...

Maybe the one you rented was no so good, I like the mid size S60 and models above, dont care for the small 40 at all.

I work on cars and when I got a chance to rent a volvo I took it, Volvo's are one of my favorites, comfort and safety are tops in these cars, they are built right, Solid as rocks, Like cars used to be built, the Swedish know how to build safe cars, Unfortunatly the Chinesse just bought Volvo from Ford Huhhhhhhhhh very sad.
I traded in my Volvo S60 about 4 months ago. I really liked it, except it was a bit low to the ground, and it used the more expensive gas. When I lifted the hood and looked inside though, it said the transmission was made in Japan, and the car was actually assembled in Belgium!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this on the BBC news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

It might answer some of the questions as to why the UK cannot cope with winter snow and ice.

Today here in Purley:

the snow is melting fast, and good riddance too. It rained last night, the wind was high, and the snow blew off the trees and power lines and roof tops, and finally today the street below the house in which I am staying can be seen. It's like when I first moved to northern Wisconsin in the 1990s - the blacktop appeared in spring and I found all the items I had dropped in the snow the previous winter. The neighbours are out sweeping the remaining snow off the cars, and the dreaded 179 steps to downtown are thawing and visible... and the second train of the day just went by on the line to London.

Life gets back to normal.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Helloooo Gabby.

I can understand where you are coming from, many people love the look of the H2, I doubt you are serious about buying one, even so let me tell you about Hummers, Ive worked on many over the years.
Hummers H2's are bascially poser SUV's, they are very high up which makes it hard to see other vehicles and people around them when parking, a little dangerous in my opinion, Being in a H2 is almost like driving a monster truck, It looks big n tough and has that feel, the Hood and Fenders/Front wings are made one piece of plastic, as is the tailgate, most of the the interior is plastic too, many I worked on squeaked, It seats six, the third row seat is just a single seat, most suv's would have room for two, the big spare tire takes up lots of room, its not really sensible in any way, not much room for groceries or luggage, the size is deceiving.

Id buy a Chevy Tahoe over a Hummer H2 any day, The Hummer is based on the Tahoe but the Tahoe is much nicer safer and more practical, in my opinion.

Like all larger SUVs that are body on frame these vehicles are safer in some ways and not in others, they will win in a head on accident or side impact with a smaller vehicle, but because they are higher they are more prone to rolling over.

The Chinesse were looking at buying Hummer from GM but that deal fell through, Im not sure if you can even buy new H2's anymore, but there are plenty of used ones around, I imagine they are much cheaper these days.

Yes I'm such a killjoy.
Thank you , this is very helpful

You are right lol,I wouldn't purchase a Hummer ....

But, I am hooked on size now ,I have to confess that protecting the environment is not my prime/first concern -bad as it sounds

*If * I was able to purchase a vehicle that was safe + and massive + omitted less emissions that would be perfect ...
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome

But, I am hooked on size now ,I have to confess that protecting the environment is not my prime/first concern -bad as it sounds

*If * I was able to purchase a vehicle that was safe + and massive + omitted less emissions that would be perfect ...
I think there are a lot of European cars that have energy-efficient engines and also a high safety record (air bags, crumple zones, etc.). I don't think it's necessary to buy a big gas-guzzler to be safe on the road these days (and the effect of bigger/taller vehicles on pedestrians are catastrophic).
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think there are a lot of European cars that have energy-efficient engines and also a high safety record (air bags, crumple zones, etc.). I don't think it's necessary to buy a big gas-guzzler to be safe on the road these days (and the effect of bigger/taller vehicles on pedestrians are catastrophic).
For some reason the auto manufactures don't sell diesel cars in the US with exception of maybe Volkswagon and Mercedes who sell almost none. The probable reason is the clean air act which means that the diesels can't meet the standards. This doesn't make sense to me because the diesels of today are cleaner burning than a gasoline engine.

Please, please don't ask me to document my statement its just something I continually read.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome

I think. See thats what I should always start out be saying.
I think that some of the huge vehicles get as good a gas mileage as some of the smaller vehicles this probably because the large engines don't have to work as hard. I have personal experience with this. The gas mileage on Lincoln Towncars which is probably one of the biggest cars and they get a remarkable gas mileage at around 30 mpg.

See what we talk about when we are waiting for a report from Rodney
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Just read this on the BBC news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

It might answer some of the questions as to why the UK cannot cope with winter snow and ice.

Today here in Purley:

the snow is melting fast, and good riddance too. It rained last night, the wind was high, and the snow blew off the trees and power lines and roof tops, and finally today the street below the house in which I am staying can be seen. It's like when I first moved to northern Wisconsin in the 1990s - the blacktop appeared in spring and I found all the items I had dropped in the snow the previous winter. The neighbours are out sweeping the remaining snow off the cars, and the dreaded 179 steps to downtown are thawing and visible... and the second train of the day just went by on the line to London.

Life gets back to normal.
Yea! and thanks for the update. I thought that would happen.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
I traded in my Volvo S60 about 4 months ago. I really liked it, except it was a bit low to the ground, and it used the more expensive gas. When I lifted the hood and looked inside though, it said the transmission was made in Japan, and the car was actually assembled in Belgium!
I knew about some Volvo models being built in Belgium.
See the power of capitalism. If there is product being made that lasts forever you have have to kill it off. Its bad for business in my opinion.
This is in reference to what happened to Saab (Swedish) and Volvo (Swedish)
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I remember some time in the 60's when we all got sent home from school because the boiler pipes had burst with the freezing cold weather.......and oh the cold, and we got chilblains soooo painful on your toes and fingers, and red marks on our legs off our wellies in the wet LOL! The good old days?
You reminded me that the girls use to have these red marks on their legs when they spent too much time standing in front of the fire to get warm.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Henderson - where I also stay when i visit them. Love Don xx
Where in the US is Henderson? I use to live in Henderson, Nevada. Could it be the same place?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Helloooo Gabby.

I can understand where you are coming from, many people love the look of the H2, I doubt you are serious about buying one, even so let me tell you about Hummers, Ive worked on many over the years.
Hummers H2's are bascially poser SUV's, they are very high up which makes it hard to see other vehicles and people around them when parking, a little dangerous in my opinion, Being in a H2 is almost like driving a monster truck, It looks big n tough and has that feel, the Hood and Fenders/Front wings are made one piece of plastic, as is the tailgate, most of the the interior is plastic too, many I worked on squeaked, It seats six, the third row seat is just a single seat, most suv's would have room for two, the big spare tire takes up lots of room, its not really sensible in any way, not much room for groceries or luggage, the size is deceiving.

Id buy a Chevy Tahoe over a Hummer H2 any day, The Hummer is based on the Tahoe but the Tahoe is much nicer safer and more practical, in my opinion.

Like all larger SUVs that are body on frame these vehicles are safer in some ways and not in others, they will win in a head on accident or side impact with a smaller vehicle, but because they are higher they are more prone to rolling over.

The Chinesse were looking at buying Hummer from GM but that deal fell through, Im not sure if you can even buy new H2's anymore, but there are plenty of used ones around, I imagine they are much cheaper these days.

Yes I'm such a killjoy.
I'm sure there are some new ones around on the dealers lots
Hummer H2. I think they use the Hummer H1 in the US Army and they still make those but they are made by American General.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Derrygirl... I think we see eye to eye on cars, I'm a big Fan of Honda's, Toyota's and Volvo's I like some other's too, I have an opinion on most of them.

The CRV is a great pick, the perfect size and price, Id own one in a heartbeat, I've had a few Honda's and all were Great cars, I love anything Honda, The Fit/Jazz is a wonderful car too, a smart choice and so cute.

I work on cars, anything from a Mini to a Motorhome, whenever I get in Honda it just feels right, ergonomics are perfect, Honda are very earth friendly too, way ahead of the pack.
Just watched ABC news last night - Honda was named # 1 (again) for reliability!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.