Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

It has just come to me, wasn't the lady who moved back to the UK Relocateme/Eileen????

She was not doing too good moving back from Canada and then she was off to visit some Auntie in Australia and going back to England...........Relocateme/Eileen, where are you and are you OK?? Please check in....
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanls for the welcome! To answer your questions: I am an adult art educator and a graphic designer. Though in 'former lives' I was a paralegal in Illinois; an Executive Assistant (is that Personal Assistant in the UK?) in a graphic design firm; an administrator in a firm of Chartered Accountants (City of London); an administrator of volunteers in both the US and UK. So - organizer of self and others would cover all bases.

I have a call from a Recruitment firm in Reading to answer tomorrow, but that is not my choice of residence. If I am lucky enough, I wish to work and live in the same area, minimising travel. And after all my US experiences, I want to live in someplace pretty - so I am heading to Chester in a month from now, to visit one more friend, when the current project I am working on will be completed. (I am staying with friends in Surrey and digitizing their photo collection as payment in kind for room and board.) Whilst all this is going on, I am doing the Pensions application/passport renewal/drivers license renewal chores. By then I will be well on in my job search, and hopefully will be fully recovered from my negative experiences in Ipswich. Those were brought on by family issues, plus hooliganism in the town. (Read my former postings of a few weeks ago to make sense of what I just wrote). Such a pity - it is a beautiful, ancient town, gorgeous buildings. Rosie
Hi again Rosie, well I do think WHERE you live in the UK has a lot to do with your viewpoint, you may have seen me post many times on the "grim Northern town" where my family lives.....BUT Chester is probably 50 minutes away from them on a bus and is a very nice little town though of course not as pretty as my beloved Lake District

I wish you so much good luck in your job search and into settling back down in the UK, I sooo wish I hadn't come back here in April, but I did.....

I listen to Smooth FM live streaming radio every morning (sad eh?) and they keep advertising loads of jobs in the North West of England.........so maybe that is where you will end up? Fingers crossed that all works out well for you.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

DDL has not posted for a while either? Hope things are ok for them. I know her hubby was having some heart-related tests done. Perhaps I missed something along the way?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi again Rosie, well I do think WHERE you live in the UK has a lot to do with your viewpoint, you may have seen me post many times on the "grim Northern town" where my family lives.....BUT Chester is probably 50 minutes away from them on a bus and is a very nice little town though of course not as pretty as my beloved Lake District

I wish you so much good luck in your job search and into settling back down in the UK, I sooo wish I hadn't come back here in April, but I did.....

I listen to Smooth FM live streaming radio every morning (sad eh?) and they keep advertising loads of jobs in the North West of England.........so maybe that is where you will end up? Fingers crossed that all works out well for you.
Is that a national station? I assumed it was Scottish, because the a.m. presenter is Scottish and I live in Glasgow (so I assumed it was a local station) ... the woman is definitely English so I suppose I should have twigged.

I am another listener, on my way to work and back (30-60 min commute each way) every day. After 3 years of searching for a radio show that wouldn't do my head in on the way to work, I now find myself whistling to the music and laughing at the two hosts ... I used to be a Terry Wogan fan and it's taken the place of his a.m. show on my car radio.

I'm afraid Radio 4 (interviewers badgering guests), Radio Scotland (that Call Kay woman is so opinionated and condescending) and Radio 2 (Chris Whatsisface is like a 5-year-old who has overdosed on food colouring and additives) all drive me nuts.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is that a national station? I assumed it was Scottish, because the a.m. presenter is Scottish and I live in Glasgow (so I assumed it was a local station) ... the woman is definitely English so I suppose I should have twigged.

I am another listener, on my way to work and back (30-60 min commute each way) every day. After 3 years of searching for a radio show that wouldn't do my head in on the way to work, I now find myself whistling to the music and laughing at the two hosts ... I used to be a Terry Wogan fan and it's taken the place of his a.m. show on my car radio.

I'm afraid Radio 4 (interviewers badgering guests), Radio Scotland (that Call Kay woman is so opinionated and condescending) and Radio 2 (Chris Whatsisface is like a 5-year-old who has overdosed on food colouring and additives) all drive me nuts.
I think you will like this

http://www.smoothradionorthwest.co.u...live/f98sdy80/

very nice and gentle......nothing at all to raise your shackles...
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Don,
Sunday night at The London palladium was fantastic, I used to watch it all the time in England, I think Bruce forsyth used to host it for a few years, I remember seeing Judy Garland on there with her Daughter Liza Manelli, Liza was just a young girl at the time and she was being introduced to the world by her Mother, anyone remember that show? and I also saw Libarache on the palladium show too once, he had all those expensive costumes that he wore, and remember the Libarache show on TV I think it was weekly for a while, but I cant remember if I saw that show in UK or over here in US? what a great performer he was, Mr Show man himself,
My Mum does get her TV licence free, not quite sure about the Fuel allowance, do you mean on Petrol for the car or power for the home?
I know about the free bus travel in the city, I will be applying for that when I get home, my Mum says I may have to wait until April till it kicks in though,
My Mum also gets her coach fares discounted whenever she goes with her friends around the UK on holidays, yes she does still get around a lot, she wont get the reduced train card cause she doesn't share my enthusiastic passion for train travel Im afraid, but I will apply for that for myself though, on line it told me that you can just go to any rail station and apply for that in person these days, you just have to show them your ID to prove your old enough and a UK citizen, I suppose I will show my UK passport,
On the great variety shows we used to have in the UK, there were so many, from the Billy cotton band show in the 60's to the ones in the 70,s and beyond I think, Morcome & Wise had a good show, and I know there were a lot back then but my memory is not working well at this time,
Maybe I need to cook something to eat, I havent ate since breakfast, Porridge,
Hmm no wonder Im hungry,
See you later Don and ALL,
Rodney.
Rodney, have you been to the Liberace museum in LV? It is quite something to see....all those furs, outfits, jewelry and ornate pianos.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Celticspirit...Thats a really nice website and such sweet little dogs. I have a scottish terrier she is black and very stubborn. If you went to the UK would you take your dogs with you. I think a nice cup of tea and a fireside chat is what you need with your OH.

Aries...Hello put the kettle on everyone another friend coming on board. You must have been very young when you emigrated to Aus. I think you have stayed long enough. How do you family feel about you moving back to the UK or havnt you brought the subject up yet. 50years Someone finally beat Rodney. Crumpets love them soaked in butter and honey.

Rodney is it really 15 months I can hardly believe it. Time really has flown past. Counting the days to your departure. I am getting excited for you and in my mind I have packed my suitcase I just need to know the name of your airline so I can complete the picture Steptoe and Sons was very funny when you look back at some of the shows they were so innocent todays generation would think them boring. Dixon of Dock Green. Emergency Ward 10 some other shows I liked.

Thorntons my favourite. Did I ever tell you the year I ordered from them online. I think my order was about $100 or maybe more I know when it arrived I had to pay nearly $70 customs fee. They had put the chocolates in a hugh box with a massive amount of paper and forget to put gift on the carton. But I did enjoy it even though it cost me the earth. M y favourite scottish butter tablet and those biscuits with caramel in the middle.

ED..Are you completely relaxed now and ready for work tomorrow.

Charleygirl...Just in case you think I am ignoring you I did say hello yesterday and hoped you were not having too good a time. Poor thing not long now, just to let you know its really cold now and very miserable. So make the most of the next two weeks
Trottytrue....we have had a few of those little chats already. I don't think OH takes it seriously. I believe he thinks I have a bee in my bonnet.
Yes, I would take my dogs....they mean the world to me. Couldn't live without them.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes I do Celticspirit, excellent airline with....sigh.....very excellent ambassador John Travolta

My grand-daughter has a great camera with a zoom lens and got some excellent shots as he piloted his own jet plane in, how cool is that!! Imagine, we would have none of this ping ponging if we had our very own jet plane!!

Attachment 96755
Great pictures! I used to work for British Eurupean Airways before they amalgamated with BOAC and became British Airways. We got all kinds of interline trips. Are you able to avail yourself of some to the UK?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 2:14 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

just want to say...back home five years today. It was all worth it. And I am truly at home in my heart.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 2:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanls for the welcome! To answer your questions: I am an adult art educator and a graphic designer. Though in 'former lives' I was a paralegal in Illinois; an Executive Assistant (is that Personal Assistant in the UK?) in a graphic design firm; an administrator in a firm of Chartered Accountants (City of London); an administrator of volunteers in both the US and UK. So - organizer of self and others would cover all bases.

I have a call from a Recruitment firm in Reading to answer tomorrow, but that is not my choice of residence. If I am lucky enough, I wish to work and live in the same area, minimising travel. And after all my US experiences, I want to live in someplace pretty - so I am heading to Chester in a month from now, to visit one more friend, when the current project I am working on will be completed. (I am staying with friends in Surrey and digitizing their photo collection as payment in kind for room and board.) Whilst all this is going on, I am doing the Pensions application/passport renewal/drivers license renewal chores. By then I will be well on in my job search, and hopefully will be fully recovered from my negative experiences in Ipswich. Those were brought on by family issues, plus hooliganism in the town. (Read my former postings of a few weeks ago to make sense of what I just wrote). Such a pity - it is a beautiful, ancient town, gorgeous buildings. Rosie
It is personal assistant. I saw an ad for one in the Llandudno area just last night. Do you want me to dig it out in case you are interested?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
just want to say...back home five years today. It was all worth it. And I am truly at home in my heart.
My mother grew up in Rossett. Do you know it?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé

This is what I like to read
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rodney, have you been to the Liberace museum in LV? It is quite something to see....all those furs, outfits, jewelry and ornate pianos.
I think it closed down a few months ago. It had been effected by the economy.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwoman120...I moved from Chester to the US worked for Cheshire Country Council and still have family and friends living there. Its grown to be quite a big City now. I am not sure I like all the changes but we lived just walking distance from town in Hoole and that was a nice little village with shops and everything you needed close to hand. House prices are not the cheapest but you can find a very nice terraced house. I wouldnt live in Blacon but Christleton is lovely. I loved walking to work everyday and having lunch in the rows just working in the heart of the City was really nice. The only drawback is the traffic. Vey hard to get into town you cannot drive though the centre of town anymore you have to find parking lots.

Here's a list of those who have passed through this forum and we have not heard from some of them for quite a time.

Aces1 in Malta well we know she's been back to the UK to get Winter clothes and HighSpeed Grandma in Hong Kong her 6months must be up soon. Hope its just that they are all either very busy or having too much fun. If you pop in any of you please give us an update. We will soon have Rodney on this list.
Sorry if I missed anyone.

How about the rest.
HighSpeed Grandma in Hong Kong.
DDL
Mgistrate just left
Denise 2
JJ
Relocate
Eastkilbride
Beedubya is back in Aust. but thinking of returning home.
Calle took the ship home.

and the others
Fulwood
Irish Guiness
Alba1
I like tea
quoll
Patzy
Scampicat
Betweentwoworlds
Boodles
Adelia
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I think it closed down a few months ago. It had been effected by the economy.
Yes, they auctioned of most of the stuff from the museum last month..lack of interest , and the economy did it in..
Jackie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.