Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 20th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Editha
OK, so the question is, which of the categories does Cheers's son belong to?
I'm confused on this..........

"British subjects can’t normally pass on that status to their children if the children were born after 1 January 1983."

He was born before 1983

Rights as a British subject
You can:

hold a British passport
get consular assistance and protection from UK diplomatic posts
However, you:

are usually subject to immigration controls and don’t have the automatic right to live or work in the UK (there are only rare exceptions to this)
aren’t considered a UK national by the European Union (EU)

Last edited by cheers; Jun 20th 2015 at 7:05 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 8:08 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Are you not a British citizen?
Old Jun 20th 2015, 8:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

cheers you posted this earlier, which kind of threw us off.

Originally Posted by cheers
My son is telling me he is getting his British Passport and he says it doesn't allow him to stay in the UK (rhyme there?) or work there.
Cheers
So, for post11927 above, I think this needs answering first to start with?

Could cheers be British by descent?

Last edited by not2old; Jun 20th 2015 at 8:23 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
It seems the inventor of the atm was John Shepherd-Barron who was managing director of De La Rue Instruments. He had an English mother (who was an international tennis player) and a Scottish father.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shepherd-Barron

Barclays Bank installed the first atm in England in 1967, at their branch in Enfield, north London.
formula can you please send me a link or some kind of proof on this that Barclays were the first!!! I dont like being lied to by Lloyd's ---- cause they have cards now at all there bank branches in England in print telling everyone of this so called fact!!! I will take this to my local congressman and demand he sort all this out. Hemm!!!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I don't doubt BiPs knowledge on this matter either and because of that I didn't check when he said that a few months ago.
A quick google just now after reading your comment shows that BiP is correct.
https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ality/overview
Wow your right on that, I never knew that there were 6 types, and everyone of them can hold a British Passport, BUT unless there actually a British Citizen they cant work or reside permanently in the UK,
Its complicated aint it!!!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 10:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

40 years of the cash machine | Money | The Guardian

History of Automatic Teller Machines or ATM
Old Jun 21st 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers I have been talking to you for over 5 years on this one thread here at B.E. and I thought I knew your history pretty well, I always thought that you were a British born citizen and that you migrated to the U.S. sometime in the 50,s
your wife is American and you have dual citizenship like me, if your Son is yours by birth i.e. you are his biological father then he would be able to claim also dual citizenship like you, however ----- and this is none of my business so you can tell me to ---- off at anytime, if your Son is adopted then its a completely different ball game!!!
Old Jun 21st 2015, 11:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by jasper123
if your Son is yours by birth i.e. you are his biological father then he would be able to claim also dual citizenship like you, however ----- and this is none of my business so you can tell me to ---- off at anytime, if your Son is adopted then its a completely different ball game!!!
we are still waiting for cheers to get back on line to fill in the blanks

in the meantime

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...orn-outside-uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sh-citizenship

from post 11919 above

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...otected-person

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...ional-overseas

Last edited by not2old; Jun 21st 2015 at 11:23 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
Who would have thunk it, I always thought that if you had a British Passport then you were a British citizen which gave you all the rights to work and reside in the U.K. indefinitely,
all I can say is I am so fortunate to have a british birth certificate, being born of a Welsh father and an English Mother, and that I have a British Passport, does life get any better then this?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:08 am
Dichotomus tinker

Who would have thunk it, I always thought that if you had a British Passport then you were a British citizen which gave you all the rights to work and reside in the U.K. indefinitely,
all I can say is I am so fortunate to have a british birth certificate, being born of a Welsh father and an English Mother, and that I have a British Passport, does life get any better then this?
yet there are folks on the 'citizenship & immigration' thread, who, being born in Northern Ireland allows them the privilege dual Irish & British citizenship, who end up renouncing their British citizenship just to enable them to move their non EU spouse to the UK under the EU freedom of movement/treaty rights, without all the hassle & cost of a 'spousal /family of a settled person visa'.

Last edited by not2old; Jun 22nd 2015 at 12:12 am. Reason: added info
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

cheers I have been talking to you for over 5 years on this one thread here at B.E. and I thought I knew your history pretty well, I always thought that you were a British born citizen and that you migrated to the U.S. sometime in the 50,s
your wife is American and you have dual citizenship like me, if your Son is yours by birth i.e. you are his biological father then he would be able to claim also dual citizenship like you, however ----- and this is none of my business so you can tell me to ---- off at anytime, if your Son is adopted then its a completely different ball game!!!
You have my profile down and it is correct.
My son is my biological.
As others have said the rules for children of British fathers may have changed.
He has British birth certificate issued at the British Consulate in San Francisco.
He has sent away for a passport so we will see if there are any restrictions when he receives it in the mail. The last time he mentioned that he may have wasted $150 because of the limitations that it has. This has all been discussed on here. It is confusing.

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Jun 22nd 2015 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

You have my profile down and it is correct.
My son is my biological.
As others have said the rules for children of British fathers may have changed.
He has British birth certificate issued at the British Consulate in San Francisco.
He has sent away for a passport so we will see if there are any restrictions when he receives it in the mail. The last time he mentioned that he may have wasted $150 because of the limitations that it has. This has all been discussed on here. It is confusing.

Cheers
see if the following helps clear up some of the confusion

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...March_2015.pdf
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just talked to my son on the phone and he said he had not sent in the application because there was something on it that said he had to renouce his nationality. No way that is going to happen!
So that's where he is at and the 90 day clock is ticking.
I will see if I can find the form. I think it is online.

Cheers ( in the hot place)
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I just talked to my son on the phone and he said he had not sent in the application because there was something on it that said he had to renouce his nationality. No way that is going to happen!
So that's where he is at and the 90 day clock is ticking.
I will see if I can find the form. I think it is online.

Cheers ( in the hot place)
Just trying to help...

if you care to share .... what citizenship does your son hold or have & his place of Birth given that you are his biological father?
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
Just trying to help...

if you care to share .... what citizenship does your son hold or have & his place of Birth given that you are his biological father?
He has US citizenship. He was born in California.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.