Our moving back experience

Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Tstimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Our moving back experience

Originally Posted by lf1
Good luck with your move. We have been back for two months after over 30 years in Canada. We were advised that we can keep a bank account open and that is what we have done. To transfer bulk amounts from RBC to our HSBC account I plan to write a cheque to myself and send it to my contact at our HSBC Calgary branch. it will then be deposited into our Cdn funds acct in Calgary and then I can transfer it to my GBP acct whenever I want. I did visit RBC, before leaving, and asked if they would transfer funds from RBC to HSBC, when required and the answer was no. Hence the reason I am using the old fashioned cheque method.

Long term, I am hoping to open a Cdn funds acct with HSBC UK and have my CPP etc, deposited there, when the time comes.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Thanks for the response! Does this mean that you have 2 bank accounts open (RBC and HSBC)? I too understood that I would be allowed to keep an account open, but as you have found unless your investments were already in the HSBC, then you also need to keep a chequing account open in the RBC to do as you say (good idea by the way).
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:35 pm
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Do you really buy phones that you don't like using just so people don't think you're a 'sheep'?
Hi, well not exactly. I was motivated into finding an alternative but the alternative isn't so great. Sometimes it pays to go with the flow I guess is the story here.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tstimpson
Thanks for the response! Does this mean that you have 2 bank accounts open (RBC and HSBC)? I too understood that I would be allowed to keep an account open, but as you have found unless your investments were already in the HSBC, then you also need to keep a chequing account open in the RBC to do as you say (good idea by the way).
Yes, we have both accounts open. We don't have our retirement savings with RBC, so when we collapsed our non-registered investments the firm we were dealing with simply put the proceeds into our HSBC Cdn dollar account and I can put the money into my CDN GBP acct. when ever I want to. Using the Global View on the HSBC acct, I can then transfer my GBP funds in Canada to my HSBC GBP account in the UK.

Where are you moving to?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:51 pm
b2b
Just Joined

b2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really niceb2b is just really nice

Quick update - now in work, house bought, got a nice car that is quite a big comfortable one but so economical I hardly notice the cost. I found working back in Britain a big culture shock. Very long hours, everyone seems depressed. Dress code which I feel uncomfortable in every day. Your every move monitored by the boss who seems to want to micromanage everything. I think it's more about that particular company than worklife in general but we do have a culture of expecting everyone to work well over the allotted hours and I think the depression I notice in the workplace is just a natural consequence of this.

I found it much easier settling back in Britain than in Canada but I guess this is only natural. I really miss the landscape of where I used to live, but now I'm working can always stop by that way on holiday some time in the future.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes, we have both accounts open. We don't have our retirement savings with RBC, so when we collapsed our non-registered investments the firm we were dealing with simply put the proceeds into our HSBC Cdn dollar account and I can put the money into my CDN GBP acct. when ever I want to. Using the Global View on the HSBC acct, I can then transfer my GBP funds in Canada to my HSBC GBP account in the UK.

Where are you moving to?
Thanks, your methodology is the same as I had figured on doing. Our complication is the investments held by the RBC with maturity dates spread over the next year. Also collapsing them whilst still here would make for an horrendous tax bill next March. I want to wait until we are considered Non-residents for tax purposes before collapsing them to limit the tax bill to 25%

I hope some of this discussion is also helpful to others reading along.

We are returning to our home town of Plymouth.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

The real headache is getting any withdrawls (regular monthly amouns or bulk amounts) from RBC to an account in the UK - we are supposed to close bank accounts (where possible!) to be recognized as non-residents.

The only way we have found it possible to open a bank account in the UK before getting there is to open an account with HSBC in Canada and they will open an HSBC account in out home town in the UK (this takes about 4 weeks and lots of paperwork - which they did for us) ..... just waiting to receive our debit card and account info at the moment.
We've kept Canadian accounts without any problem. We have them with HSBC and can move money between easily.

Bev

Last edited by Bevm; Oct 16th 2012 at 12:09 pm. Reason: already answered
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I came back to Scotland in May after being in the US 25 years. I opened a bank account no problem. I did try Clydesdale Bank, but I didn't have a job and so they told me to come back with a letter from an employer. I went to Bank of Scotland and no problems. Just explained I was back and they asked for my NI number, passport and I was able to open on. Recieved my pin with chip card the next week. Good Luck to you. Going back with decent funds will make all the difference.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone finding difficulty opening a bank acount because of credit record (poor, or lack thereof), there is a thing caled a basic bank account. I think they are legally required (i.e., I think everyone is legally entitled to a bank account).

More info here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...-bank-accounts

Banks don't tend to advertise them, so you have to ask specifically for one.

- this could be an option for a few months until salary has been comng in, you have built up a credit record, and can then open a more typical bank account with overdraft facility, etc.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Well as of this morning I have a bank account in the UK! I would advise anyone making the move back to the UK to work with your local HSBC who will assist you in the process. Their employees were all very helpful, understanding of our situation, and very professional.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:25 pm
b2b
Just Joined

Expats

Just a follow up after a year back in UK. Thank you for comments on my original post. I always intend to write short, punch, brief notes but end up in a major dialogue. So please excuse this example here.

The biggest question that will be of interest to others here is, on reflection am I still glad to be back? The short and somewhat evading answer is Yes; mostly.

One of the biggest failings I have made since returning, is exactly what I did when I moved to Canada. Comparing countries on a like-for-like basis and criticising the deficient one. My enthusiasm with Canada quickly diminished and I became very unhappy indeed very quickly. Things turned out ok in the end and I got quite a big cash rebate from the Karma bank (but that's a different story). Now in UK it's difficult to avoid criticising it. There is so much to criticise it for. Canada does a great job at looking after its best interests while in UK we pussyfoot around not wanting to offend people who, quite frankly, offer our country nothing and are just here to bleed it dry. Yet we not only deal with this in a less efficient way, but manage to lose respect and credibility with our own immigrant population. And with the recent burning down of a Mosque in London I am wondering whether my Canadian citizenship might come in handy if things get out of control. There are plenty living here who absolutely detest us and our ways. They have the capabilities of taking over our country and are already doing so. Yet most British people are less concerned by what's going on and what could inevitably happen than ensuring they don't get branded a racist. Being somewhat protective of your country and your heritage does not make you a racist. I don't see anything wrong in protecting your race. EVERY other race does this, yet when we do it we're classed as racists and nazis, almost exclusively by our own. Can we find middle ground where we more forcefully protect our interests and live in peace with other races in UK? I hope so but one of my key fears is that this is unworkable. And it's the single reason I can think for wanting to move away again.

Workwise I am very pleased with how things worked out. I was concerned by the stories of gloom. McDonalds now has a waiting list whereas in the past it was always an option at the end of the road. Not only was I to find work quite quickly but the pay was good too. I generally consult rather than being an employee so perhaps my experience is not mainstream. On my first day I must say I found the workplace to be a lot less fun than I remembered in Canada and also previous work in UK. It was almost unfriendly, and people seemed miserable. Now in my last few days in my contract and the company is shifting a lot of the jobs to Eastern Europe with a new centre there. This was kept under cover but no doubt people sensed "trouble at 'pit". What I didn't appreciate too much is how I was watched like a hawk and my hours scrutinised. In fact I ended up having a discussion about this with my boss. In my field a lot of my daily energy is devoted to the work I do which includes whilst at home and at weekends. I tended to stick to my hours in general but a lot of value I delivered came from my downtime rather than work time. I felt so strongly that in the end I negotiated to work from home for the remainder of the contract and I must say I think they are happy with this arrangement. In Canada I could generally work from home and I think Canadians have a lot more faith in people as my integrity was never questioned.

One of my concerns was with how my children would integrate into the education system and how their Canadian experience would impact them both in education and socially. I'm pleased to report that both have blended in well. My concern was that as Canadian schools begin a year later whether they were behind. In both cases there was a little catching up, but my eldest daughter (1st year in senior school) has now started excelling. My youngest daughter was diagnosed as being on the Autism scale, something we suspected. The thing about this is that I felt the move back would better support her without being financially crucified. And this has worked out well. She has the diagnosis which means that her school will have to become more aware of the condition. They had reacted inappropriately to some of her behaviour but I am so pleased that Autism is recognised less as a disability because my daughter is very capable and quite talented in areas that continually amaze us.

One of the reasons for moving back was that I felt it would be more affordable. So on reflection how do I feel? Well in most cases I've found the cost of living either the same or a bit cheaper in Britain. Even petrol/diesel which has actually increased in price compared with Canada and US is a bit cheaper thanks to the amazing Diesel cars we have. Cost of running these is a bit higher but I am finding I'm not doing the miles I used to. Britain is much smaller in scale compared with North America and this has a positive impact on the miles people tend to do.

I regret the beautiful and luscious geography of North West Americas and appreciate the relaxed and chilled out attitude of many people living there. I've managed to find a place to live which is a lot more affordable but the region is geographically dull as hell and although the people are not unpleasant it is a soulless place to be. However the housing market is stagnant so it's quite possible to move on without finding that one has been priced out of the market. And when the need and opportunity arises, that's exactly what I'll do.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Like b2b we too have recently returned from Canada to the UK - we arrived here 10th Dec after about 6 months of planning/prep work. Our situation is somewhat different in that we are both now retired so did not have to face the problems of finding employment (not one I would relish on either side of the Atlantic). We returned to our home town of Plymouth after 43 years in Canada, and there were no great surprises since we regularly holidayed back here - particularly in recent years.
So, our experience has been extremely positive! Yes there is the problems associated with too much immigration - predominently due to EU regulations about free movement of labour within Europe. The influx is largely due to the generous social benefits of living in the UK and the fact that anyone from the EU countries are entitled to them .... this is the source of great political unrest right now and hopefully will be addressed within the next 9 months or so (Conservatives are being pressured by the big steps being taken by the UKIP party).
I am still struggling with some of the paperwork - predominently to do with Canadian tax issues, we have finally received a letter from the Canadian government agreeing that we are now considered "Non Residents for Tax Purposes". I have sent in my 2012 tax return and as of yet have not received any negative response. Once I can clear the 2013 tax return next year I will hopefully be home free. The "Non Resident" letter mentioned earlier is a huge thing because it means that my tax burden when withdrawing my RRSPs/RIFs etc (needed for house purchase) will be capped at 25%. Plus because of the tax treaties between Canada and the UK we do not have to pay Canadian tax on our Canadian pensions/OAS (which are indexed by the way).
In general we too have found that the cost of living overall is lower in the UK (of course there are variations on specific items), and we can live very comfortably on our Canadian and UK pensions (we bought back many years of National Insurance - NI - contributions to enable us to get partial UK pensions ..... something anyone in Canada from the UK should consider).
Of course we are fortunate to be living so close to the coast in a beautiful part of the country!!
This is all for now - I will write more at a later time. If anyone has any questions regarding our move back I would be glad to try to answer them.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:57 am
b2b
Just Joined

Like b2b we too have recently returned from Canada to the UK - we arrived here 10th Dec after about 6 months of planning/prep work. Our situation is somewhat different in that we are both now retired so did not have to face the problems of finding employment (not one I would relish on either side of the Atlantic). We returned to our home town of Plymouth after 43 years in Canada, and there were no great surprises since we regularly holidayed back here - particularly in recent years.
So, our experience has been extremely positive! Yes there is the problems associated with too much immigration - predominently due to EU regulations about free movement of labour within Europe. The influx is largely due to the generous social benefits of living in the UK and the fact that anyone from the EU countries are entitled to them .... this is the source of great political unrest right now and hopefully will be addressed within the next 9 months or so (Conservatives are being pressured by the big steps being taken by the UKIP party).
I am still struggling with some of the paperwork - predominently to do with Canadian tax issues, we have finally received a letter from the Canadian government agreeing that we are now considered "Non Residents for Tax Purposes". I have sent in my 2012 tax return and as of yet have not received any negative response. Once I can clear the 2013 tax return next year I will hopefully be home free. The "Non Resident" letter mentioned earlier is a huge thing because it means that my tax burden when withdrawing my RRSPs/RIFs etc (needed for house purchase) will be capped at 25%. Plus because of the tax treaties between Canada and the UK we do not have to pay Canadian tax on our Canadian pensions/OAS (which are indexed by the way).
In general we too have found that the cost of living overall is lower in the UK (of course there are variations on specific items), and we can live very comfortably on our Canadian and UK pensions (we bought back many years of National Insurance - NI - contributions to enable us to get partial UK pensions ..... something anyone in Canada from the UK should consider).
Of course we are fortunate to be living so close to the coast in a beautiful part of the country!!
This is all for now - I will write more at a later time. If anyone has any questions regarding our move back I would be glad to try to answer them.
That's a great 'coming back' story and congratulations to you both. I can imagine Plymouth is a very pleasant place to be living. Thanks for the tax information I still need to sort all of this out. It would be good to hear further about your experience in the future and I'm sure your experience on tax and pensions will be of interest.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:53 pm
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Originally Posted by b2b
Expats

Just a follow up after a year back in UK. Thank you for comments on my original post. I always intend to write short, punch, brief notes but end up in a major dialogue. So please excuse this example here.

The biggest question that will be of interest to others here is, on reflection am I still glad to be back? The short and somewhat evading answer is Yes; mostly.

One of the biggest failings I have made since returning, is exactly what I did when I moved to Canada. Comparing countries on a like-for-like basis and criticising the deficient one. My enthusiasm with Canada quickly diminished and I became very unhappy indeed very quickly. Things turned out ok in the end and I got quite a big cash rebate from the Karma bank (but that's a different story). Now in UK it's difficult to avoid criticising it. There is so much to criticise it for. Canada does a great job at looking after its best interests while in UK we pussyfoot around not wanting to offend people who, quite frankly, offer our country nothing and are just here to bleed it dry. Yet we not only deal with this in a less efficient way, but manage to lose respect and credibility with our own immigrant population. And with the recent burning down of a Mosque in London I am wondering whether my Canadian citizenship might come in handy if things get out of control. There are plenty living here who absolutely detest us and our ways. They have the capabilities of taking over our country and are already doing so. Yet most British people are less concerned by what's going on and what could inevitably happen than ensuring they don't get branded a racist. Being somewhat protective of your country and your heritage does not make you a racist. I don't see anything wrong in protecting your race. EVERY other race does this, yet when we do it we're classed as racists and nazis, almost exclusively by our own. Can we find middle ground where we more forcefully protect our interests and live in peace with other races in UK? I hope so but one of my key fears is that this is unworkable. And it's the single reason I can think for wanting to move away again.

Workwise I am very pleased with how things worked out. I was concerned by the stories of gloom. McDonalds now has a waiting list whereas in the past it was always an option at the end of the road. Not only was I to find work quite quickly but the pay was good too. I generally consult rather than being an employee so perhaps my experience is not mainstream. On my first day I must say I found the workplace to be a lot less fun than I remembered in Canada and also previous work in UK. It was almost unfriendly, and people seemed miserable. Now in my last few days in my contract and the company is shifting a lot of the jobs to Eastern Europe with a new centre there. This was kept under cover but no doubt people sensed "trouble at 'pit". What I didn't appreciate too much is how I was watched like a hawk and my hours scrutinised. In fact I ended up having a discussion about this with my boss. In my field a lot of my daily energy is devoted to the work I do which includes whilst at home and at weekends. I tended to stick to my hours in general but a lot of value I delivered came from my downtime rather than work time. I felt so strongly that in the end I negotiated to work from home for the remainder of the contract and I must say I think they are happy with this arrangement. In Canada I could generally work from home and I think Canadians have a lot more faith in people as my integrity was never questioned.

One of my concerns was with how my children would integrate into the education system and how their Canadian experience would impact them both in education and socially. I'm pleased to report that both have blended in well. My concern was that as Canadian schools begin a year later whether they were behind. In both cases there was a little catching up, but my eldest daughter (1st year in senior school) has now started excelling. My youngest daughter was diagnosed as being on the Autism scale, something we suspected. The thing about this is that I felt the move back would better support her without being financially crucified. And this has worked out well. She has the diagnosis which means that her school will have to become more aware of the condition. They had reacted inappropriately to some of her behaviour but I am so pleased that Autism is recognised less as a disability because my daughter is very capable and quite talented in areas that continually amaze us.

One of the reasons for moving back was that I felt it would be more affordable. So on reflection how do I feel? Well in most cases I've found the cost of living either the same or a bit cheaper in Britain. Even petrol/diesel which has actually increased in price compared with Canada and US is a bit cheaper thanks to the amazing Diesel cars we have. Cost of running these is a bit higher but I am finding I'm not doing the miles I used to. Britain is much smaller in scale compared with North America and this has a positive impact on the miles people tend to do.

I regret the beautiful and luscious geography of North West Americas and appreciate the relaxed and chilled out attitude of many people living there. I've managed to find a place to live which is a lot more affordable but the region is geographically dull as hell and although the people are not unpleasant it is a soulless place to be. However the housing market is stagnant so it's quite possible to move on without finding that one has been priced out of the market. And when the need and opportunity arises, that's exactly what I'll do.

Thank you for taking the time to post this update. I found it echoed some of what friends and family are saying from back home. They too have reported people living in fear of their jobs, too concerned with what other people are/are not doing, lots of one-upmanship going on, general misery concerning what they perceive to be the invasion of 'unsympathetics' to their country and generally lacking hope. It makes for depressing listening for those of us who want to go home.
It sounds as if you are trying hard to make it all work and I'm pleased for you for making it a success.
I don't think expats ever stop comparing prices though, another one of those compulsive expat behaviours!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I find there are pluses and minuses, the same as most other places!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:38 pm
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

Originally Posted by jemima55
I find there are pluses and minuses, the same as most other places!
Well of course there are, it would have to be 'planet bland' if there weren't any. Have you got any examples? I haven't been back for 5 years! I need a fix and 'Coronation Street', 'Location Location Location' and 'Whitechapel' just aren't cutting it these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.