Now comes Brexit

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now comes Brexit

Originally Posted by not2old
Editha for you personally how would you make up or overcome the drop in income (falling pound against other currencies) as well as get better services - what options would you suggest for folks in their 60's or older in similar circumstance?

Should folks under the circumstance above leave the UK, find somewhere else to live, go back to work or continue on working, lower there lifestyle from what it is now, sell their homes if they have one & rent?
Sorry to butt-in on your query to Editha but

Being over 65 is a fairly critical age because it impacts one's ability to buy private health insurance at reasonable cost - it might have to be excess health insurance. Personally, I will be looking at this when next away from the UK.

In addition, since we rent, we will be looking to spend a largish chunk of the year somewhere else that is cheaper and more amenable in terms of climate and atmosphere (so we won't need to pay to escape the cold). We reckon we can save 300 pounds a month by going overseas for the winter and will probably eat healthier.

Even post brexit, shorter stays of up to five months will be fine in terms of immigration and tax requirements at the other end - I can't see Spain, Portugal* and France doing anything weird in that regard - and access to the NHS at this, if needed.

Got nothing to lose really!

It's dipping our toes in the water with a view to ultimately considering a more permanent break. Brexit can do that to you!

*you can stay in Portugal for up to six months without becoming tax resident

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Nov 3rd 2016 at 12:57 am. Reason: *you can stay in Portugal for up to six months without becoming tax resident
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 2:57 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Pistol pete @ post #16, thanks for weighing in on this

Good input & comments for those that understand it as well as for those that are able to do what you suggested, yet (depending on how folks do it) its not always going to be a savings as you suggested of up to £300/mth I appreciate its possible, yet I think for the average person/couple/family if they would be doing this - to be be corrected based on the following

The way that I look at it, 'do folks want to be away for several months each year' (would be nice) given their resources, ability both financially as well as health wise to go down the route you suggested post Brexit.

Young, healthy with adequate means, what works for individuals, then why not go for it. Myself at 70 I would not be as adventurous as I was 10 years ago

1. On the basis NHS health coverage is not available in post Brexit Europe (EHIC) is no longer valid, then for long stays especially the over 65 seniors will need to purchase travel/health insurance, take with them enough medicines to cover while they're away

2. Those going away need to still pay any or all running costs for their UK home base... rent, mortgage, running costs on utility bills, have someone maintain or manage their 'UK Home' while thy're away

3. Those on 6 month rental agreements may find it doable, but what an upheaval having to find accommodations every 6 months

Post Brexit: I take that it will be different situation for everyone, case by case, different strokes for different folks

4. Post Brexit how will it be different for you now living in the UK 12 months a year, financially or any other way. Please don't quote what is in the media

Will your income drop that much, if so - why & how?

Will you lose your job?

Will your cost of living increase, if so - how, be specific?

If as a retired senior OAP, what changes are you expecting that will make your day to day life living in the UK harder or worse than it is today?

What services are you expecting to decrease or be eliminated post Brexit?

Do you believe (guess) that there will be user fee for public services imposed, if so on what services?

5. Could the UK economy be better post Brexit & your life all round better than before Brexit?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 3rd 2016 at 3:14 am. Reason: edited post
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Pistol pete @ post #16, thanks for weighing in on this

Good input & comments for those that understand it as well as for those that are able to do what you suggested, yet (depending on how folks do it) its not always going to be a savings as you suggested of up to £300/mth I appreciate its possible, yet I think for the average person/couple/family if they would be doing this - to be be corrected based on the following

The way that I look at it, 'do folks want to be away for several months each year' (would be nice) given their resources, ability both financially as well as health wise to go down the route you suggested post Brexit.

Young, healthy with adequate means, what works for individuals, then why not go for it. Myself at 70 I would not be as adventurous as I was 10 years ago

1. On the basis NHS health coverage is not available in post Brexit Europe (EHIC) is no longer valid, then for long stays especially the over 65 seniors will need to purchase travel/health insurance, take with them enough medicines to cover while they're away

2. Those going away need to still pay any or all running costs for their UK home base... rent, mortgage, running costs on utility bills, have someone maintain or manage their 'UK Home' while thy're away

3. Those on 6 month rental agreements may find it doable, but what an upheaval having to find accommodations every 6 months

Post Brexit: I take that it will be different situation for everyone, case by case, different strokes for different folks

4. Post Brexit how will it be different for you now living in the UK 12 months a year, financially or any other way. Please don't quote what is in the media

Will your income drop that much, if so - why & how?

Will you lose your job?

Will your cost of living increase, if so - how, be specific?

If as a retired senior OAP, what changes are you expecting that will make your day to day life living in the UK harder or worse than it is today?

What services are you expecting to decrease or be eliminated post Brexit?

Do you believe (guess) that there will be user fee for public services imposed, if so on what services?

5. Could the UK economy be better post Brexit & your life all round better than before Brexit?

By the time we head south next winter we will have been renting one way or another in the UK for three years. We would not have been able to come and go so easily - so that we actually move residence overseas or wherever - without back-up storage which could be bought for about 60 quid per month for say a six foot square room. In due course we would indeed need to work on our UK home address so that we have somewhere decent to come to when we must return to keep our residency.

I've got that request for information on overseas private health insurance IN.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Pete @ post #18

Have you become gypsies in your time back in the UK the past 3 years & I say that with respect, understanding moving every 6 months into different rented accommodations can be difficult for you & your family?

You mentioned "heading south", with all the costs including the moving & flitting, cancelling and/or changing utilities, storage costs & whatever else, is what you are doing (if doing it for just that) saving £300/mth?

You mentioned in your earlier post about free NHS (EHIC) while in Europe, yet since this is 'post Brexit' thread & likely the EHIC will no longer be valid 2019 onwards (an unknown for now), then private medical insurance would appear to be necessary - again 'at what cost'

All of what you are doing for a bit of sun or trying to save £300/mth is hard work IMO.

Whatever works for you, all the best
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pete @ post #18

Have you become gypsies in your time back in the UK the past 3 years & I say that with respect, understanding moving every 6 months into different rented accommodations can be difficult for you & your family?

You mentioned "heading south", with all the costs including the moving & flitting, cancelling and/or changing utilities, storage costs & whatever else, is what you are doing (if doing it for just that) saving £300/mth?

You mentioned in your earlier post about free NHS (EHIC) while in Europe, yet since this is 'post Brexit' thread & likely the EHIC will no longer be valid 2019 onwards (an unknown for now), then private medical insurance would appear to be necessary - again 'at what cost'

All of what you are doing for a bit of sun or trying to save £300/mth is hard work IMO.

Whatever works for you, all the best

I don't think that anybody looking at the lives we lead here in Weymouth would accuse us of living like gypsies. They think we are truly blessed.

Indeed the day before and the day of the move is stressful, as is locating somewhere ideal but it's all here in Weymouth when in the UK and changing utilities is mostly done online in a couple of hours total, moving out and moving in, including redirecting mail.

Anyway, it now gives us the freedom to up-sticks and ship out if that is what we perceive is now the right thing to do. Isn't that the point?

Indeed we will be saving 300 per month on what we would be paying for an already low cost winter let here, and as I said we will then be in the place that we would otherwise have to pay to get to (and pay a weekly holiday let rate for) in order to escape the English winter as needed.

I said in my earlier post that we would head south for up to five months but keep our UK residency so we would be able to use the NHS if needed. I wasn't thinking of using an EHIC card at that point. I admit that is a risk but I guess that we would have to carry it. We would have to pay for doctor's visits. At age 65 I'm not going to be letting that issue stand in the way of time out of the UK even if I wasn't saving a bean. In any event it is likely that by winter 2019/2020 we will have gone from here.

On that, I further said that this was testing the water for later time when we might actually leave period. I hadn't even mentioned that I do not intend to have my worldly savings taken from me in the UK by some expensive care facility in due course, if there are any left after brexit.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Nov 3rd 2016 at 5:08 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 6:11 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Editha for you personally how would you make up or overcome the drop in income (falling pound against other currencies) as well as get better services - what options would you suggest for folks in their 60's or older in similar circumstance?

Should folks under the circumstance above leave the UK, find somewhere else to live, go back to work or continue on working, lower there lifestyle from what it is now, sell their homes if they have one & rent?
It all depends on the individual's circumstances.

The first question for an ex-pat who is planning retirement is whether to stay where they are, return to the UK, or settle in a third country.

The fall in the value of the pound is going to make the second option -- coming back to the UK -- more attractive for some, and a necessity for others. If your pension income is mostly in a currency other than £, then it will now buy you more £. This is going to be particularly beneficial to retirees selling a property abroad to fund a retirement home in the UK. On the other hand, if your retirement funds are mostly in £, then you may no longer be able to afford to live outside the UK.

Anyone considering the third option of retiring to a third country, previously had the option of choosing one of the EU countries, without having to satisfy any immigration requirements. Hundreds of thousands of Brits have chosen to spend their retirement in Spain or France. This option is now going to close.

As you yourself often point out, at the moment, the UK's relatively generous state benefits for pensioners, particularly the pension credit guarantee, makes the UK particularly attractive to ex-pats who have little savings or accumulated pension.

For political reasons, boomers have been protected from the worst of the austerity measures, unless they need social care. Social care provision has been severely cut and is now in crisis, as is the NHS. But the government is unlikely to be able to continue ring-fencing pensioner benefits post-Brexit.

I think that someone on a low income should certainly consider continuing to work for as long as they can, and if possible save. Even retirees on higher incomes should make themselves aware of the incredibly high cost of privately funded social care, and plan accordingly.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 6:39 am
Dichotomus tinker

Editha @ post #21, thanks for that
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to laugh haven't you...

A British Court with British appointed judges rules that the British Parliament should decide British Law.

Isn't that what the Mail and it's readers are in favour of rather than "interference" from Brussels?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:16 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I realise that I don't amount to a hill of beans in the scheme of things, but I'm beginning to get pissed off at how much Brexit is going to cost me financially.

Already the rise in petrol prices will cost an extra £50 a year. I'm about £500 down in annual bank interest. I need to replace some of our Apple devices, at 20% more than I would have paid. And finally there is the exchange rate for our foreign trips. OH spends a month in Vienna each year and it is going to cost at least an extra £500.

I reckon that by the end of the first year after the referendum we will be at least £1,500 worse of than we would have been. I'm striking anyone I discover voted out from my dinner party list. They are already costing me money, I'm not going to feed them too.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:27 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Isn't that what the Mail and it's readers are in favour of rather than "interference" from Brussels?
Well the Daily Mail is still smarting about the side they backed not winning WW2.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did Boris really say that with Brexit Britain will be like the Titanic? Oh dear.
He did. "Brexit will be a Titanic success". What an idiot.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
My husband, who is a joint British/Canadian citizen, is also entitled to an Irish passport through a granny born in Ulster, so if we went to live in Ireland for a year, I could get an Irish passport through him, and then we'd be free to live where we chose.
Just an fyi, so there are no nasty shocks if you do decide to go down this path, you must be ordinarily resident in Ireland for a period of 3 years out of the previous 5 (with one of those years being immediately prior to your application) in order to be able to apply for citizenship as a spouse of an Irish citizen.
I looked into this a while back, as I'm British/Irish from Northern Ireland and have a Canadian husband.

Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage or civil partnership
Old Nov 8th 2016, 3:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Oh well.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 5:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Oh well.
You meant sure and begorrah?
Old Nov 9th 2016, 12:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

EU citizenship proposal could guarantee rights in Europe after Brexit (full article)

The European parliament is to review a proposal for an associate EU citizenship open to nationals of a country that has left the union but who want to stay part of the European project and retain some of their EU rights.......

......“The idea is simply to guarantee those who want it some of the same rights they had as full EU citizens, including the right of residence in the EU, and to be able to vote in European elections and be represented by an MEP.”

Last month, the Guardian reported a huge rise in the number of Britons seeking citizenship in other EU countries, with at least 2,800 Britons across 18 countries applying to secure their post-Brexit status in the first eight months of 2016 – an increase of more than 250% on numbers recorded in 2015.

The amendment, for which Goerens hopes to find wide parliamentary backing and which MEPs could vote on early in the new year, proposes a European associate citizenship “for those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former member state”.
Kind of an opt out of Brexit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.