Moving to Scotland

Old Jun 16th 2020, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Scotland

After nearly 40 years of living in Spain I am considering relocating to perhaps the Scottish Borders.Many years ago,although English born,I did have a Scottish spouse,lived in Ayrshire,Renfrewshire & Edinburgh & had a daughter born there.My granddaughter,Scottish in Inverness with young family,thinks I should perhaps come to live near to them since sadly now I am her only relative from her Mother's side & I also have only elderly sisters in England.Big step to take but I realise that my foreign owned property would be better sold,at my age, & the money invested back in UK for easier access for her when I am no longer around.But I am very independent & don't want to push myself into her life,so am thinking about the Scottish Border towns.Anyone from there who can give me some details would be much appreciated as I have not a clue.Hard enough to stop looking the wrong way when crossing the road,or working out sterling currency quite apart from knowing how many people still think in feet/inches while I think metric! All help welcomed.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Scotland

There have been quite a number of discussions over the years on life in, and moving to, the Scottish borders area. If you search, using the box near the top right corner of the screen (where it says "threads" and "search forums") for <scottish borders> (without the < >) you will get a list of all the threads mentioning Scottish borders, and obviously the ones in MBttUK and The Rovers Return are likely to be the most relevant for you.

Here is one such thread to get you started.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

From The Borders to Inverness is a long way ! look at some of the towns nearer to Inverness ? Moray ? The Mearns ? The Great Glen ? Fort Augustus ? Nairn ?
Old Jun 16th 2020, 2:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
From The Borders to Inverness is a long way! Look at some of the towns nearer to Inverness ? Moray ? The Mearns ? The Great Glen ? Fort Augustus ? Nairn ?
His elderly sisters live in England. ..... But I am inclined to agree that moving close to one group of relatives and leaving a longer journey to the others, is likely a better strategy than living a fair distance from both groups.

I think it is easy to overlook how far north Inverness is - I have caught an overnight sleeper train from Glasgow to Inverness several times, though not recently, now granted it was a slow train, and arrived in Inverness around 5am in the morning, but still that the route had (has? ) a sleeper service tells you that it isn't a short journey.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 16th 2020 at 2:37 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend who worked for a UK company in Glasgow used to take delight in retelling stories of how Head Office somewhere in The Home Counties had no idea of Scottish Geography. "Can you just nip up to Inverness and speak to Jimmie up there
?"
Old Jun 16th 2020, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that I wouldn't like is the change from sunny and warm to rainy and cool. Not to mention the dark days of mid winter.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You are contemplating selling your property in Spain, so are you going to be purchasing again back in the UK, or renting? (you mentioned investing your money in the UK)

Have you looked at property prices etc in the Borders?

It sounds as though the only reason to go back to the UK (after 40 years) is to invest in the UK to make it easier for your relatives 'once you are gone' I would imagine you've probably got more friends and a better life in Spain. It seems a big step to make .....
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

How very nice to read your comments.Pulaski's pointer was informative,thanks.Philat98,I once served in the RAF so sent to places where I had to adapt.Later lived in Devon where we had the "monsoon" season so can appreciate your view on weather.When I came to Spain it was a huge climate change but you just have to get on with it if that is what you choose.I could reel off things I disliked especially as I was working with birds & animals & outside for much of the day in my business.Unfortunately the insect life for me(no pun intended) a bugbear.I have been stung or bitten from March-October,despite anything from medical help,for all these years by everything from wild wasps to a preying mantis,mozzies just a regular participant so I will discount Scottish midges.I would be buying a property & yes have started viewing prices.SanDiegogirl,many of my friends have departed,either this mortal coil or for pastures new.Many people just want to die in their home country,not my reason for relocating.Am I supposed to give up any idea for my future because I am elderly yet fairly fit,mobile(no hip replacement yet) & I think I still can think for myself?I may well have a good life here but I would intend to make a good life elsewhere,why not?And although I may not want to live in the Highlands it is only a train ride away & it gives me the best of both worlds in that my relatives can visit me further south & I retain my independent ways as I have done here.Lastly,having been a business owner of course I think about finances.Spanish taxes would severely deplete any inheritance for my granddaughter.She lost her Mother & I lost my daughter,but it isn't a sacrifice that I would be making.I enjoyed my life in Scotland & intend to do so again.For me just another move or do younger people think that once retired that's it.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03
How very nice to read your comments.Pulaski's pointer was informative,thanks. ...
You're welcome.
.... I enjoyed my life in Scotland & intend to do so again.For me just another move or do younger people think that once retired that's it.
It's good to hear that you have a plan to make the most of your life and spend more time with your relatives, so I wish you all the best for your plans and relocation back to Scotland.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move Dougal. Did you have anywhere in mind? The east coast borders are quite different from the west coast.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

The borders is a lovely part of the country and is somewhere I've contemplated retiring to. Have a look at Innerleithen. More affordable than Peebles and still relatively close to Edinburgh and major train lines to Inverness.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
..... major train lines to Inverness.
I thought Inverness was on branch lines?
Old Jun 18th 2020, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesy5008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought Inverness was on branch lines?
Apologies. I meant you have to go to Edinburgh for a direct train to Inverness.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
Apologies. I meant you have to go to Edinburgh for a direct train to Inverness.
And I was only joking about the standard of the lines both north of Aberdeen and through the mountains from Glasgow - both are relatively slow lines with grades and tight curves, and wildly different from the express lines out of London to Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, and Norwich.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We should spend all that HS2 money on improving OUR railways.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.