Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England was a mistake

Moving back to England was a mistake

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

Originally posted by goldy
We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(6) The weather. For 9 months of the year it's cold and miserable.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.

very well put Goldy and I agree 100%

booboo
Old Dec 18th 2003, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
Ask your barber what he would use if he were 'packin' and what to do if the hoes step outa-line...

Before bitch-slappin' that mutha upside the head, one would presume, for giving you a haircut that made you look more like a hoe than a homie?
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you are wrong it has increased but people dont often report it as often they dont see a police officer and are given a crime number instead for their insurance companies.

Gun crimes are higher, interesting since UK has a gun ban, however a number of guns are smuggled in via Eastern Europe. The innocent citzens cant have a gun, but the criminal does. In most of the major cities the gangs now have guns and unfortunately they are heading for rural areas as well as they are considered easy pickings.....

Australia actually falls behind UK per percentage, US comes first then UK and then Australia. For violent crimes UK is up there on the board, but at least in Oz the laws are bit better towards the victim. Interesting since they banned guns in Australia their gun crimes in Victoria alone has increased by 400%.

Have lived in both Oz and UK.......one I slept with a shotgun under the bed, was told by a Ozzie police officer if I shot anyone, either put a weapon in the hands of the criminal or take the body off bush and bury it, was told it much better way than dealing with the judical system.......I suppose the alternative is to have some pigs in the backyard.....hear they eat everything.....

QUOTE]Originally posted by AndrewR
Actually not old son. The gov. obviously try and manipulate the figures for their own end, but overall crime has actually decreased slightly over the last couple of years. Strange but true! (again with the caveat that some area's of crime have increased).
As for the thing on Oz...I don't live in Oz, have never lived there, but the chances of being victim of a crime in Oz are the highest in the westernised world....if you do live there, you have a one in three chance of being a victim of crime over the last year. [/QUOTE]
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:32 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mercedes
Actually you are wrong it has increased but people dont often report it as often they dont see a police officer and are given a crime number instead for their insurance companies.
[/QUOTE]

Again, actually not. You obviously didn't read the web page I posted as you didn't want to let any inconvenient facts get in your way. So I'll repeat it for you....the figures are from the British crime survey and are regarded as a more reliable measure of actual levels of crime because it includes experiences of crime that go unreported. Overall levels of crime have actually fallen slightly over the last couple of years.
Again, I don't live in Oz and have no particular thing against Oz, but it has the highest levels of crime in the industrialised world. If you live there you have a one in three chance of being victim of a crime within the last year...
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Violent crime has increased.... The government has been on a political campaign with regard to crime figures. My information doesnt come from the media.....

Originally posted by AndrewR

Again, actually not. You obviously didn't read the web page I posted as you didn't want to let any inconvenient facts get in your way. So I'll repeat it for you....the figures are from the British crime survey and are regarded as a more reliable measure of actual levels of crime because it includes experiences of crime that go unreported. Overall levels of crime have actually fallen slightly over the last couple of years.
Again, I don't live in Oz and have no particular thing against Oz, but it has the highest levels of crime in the industrialised world. If you live there you have a one in three chance of being victim of a crime within the last year... [/QUOTE]
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:14 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

My information doesnt come from the media.....

Yes, I can tell....
Old Dec 21st 2003, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

I have to put this post up, even though myself am leaving the UK in January 04 for Vancouver.

Yes, the UK has the worst traffic jams in the world and yes crime is high with a 'durggy' on every street corner...but come on, lets not forget the 'good' points of the UK!

You should all be grateful to have come from the UK and not to forget the privilege you face in being able to actually leave your country and explore without being afraid to return!

Instead of slagging of the UK all the time, just remember what your Grandparents fought for!

Far too may expats verbally abuse their home country. I have seen it far too many times on this board.

My reason for leaving my home country for a time being, is to enrich my life and to experience the world and get to know difference cultures, so that when i return to the UK, i can tell my children about it.

Lets just get a bit more faith and backing behind the UK, afterall, your family are still there?

I apologise if this post seems a little critical, it is not my intention.

:lecture: (over)
Old Dec 21st 2003, 9:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Gun crimes are higher, interesting since UK has a gun ban, however a number of guns are smuggled in via Eastern Europe. The innocent citzens cant have a gun, but the criminal does. In most of the major cities the gangs now have guns and unfortunately they are heading for rural areas as well as they are considered easy pickings.....

Australia actually falls behind UK per percentage, US comes first then UK and then Australia. For violent crimes UK is up there on the board, but at least in Oz the laws are bit better towards the victim. Interesting since they banned guns in Australia their gun crimes in Victoria alone has increased by 400%.

Have lived in both Oz and UK.......one I slept with a shotgun under the bed, was told by a Ozzie police officer if I shot anyone, either put a weapon in the hands of the criminal or take the body off bush and bury it, was told it much better way than dealing with the judical system.......I suppose the alternative is to have some pigs in the backyard.....hear they eat everything.....

QUOTE]Originally posted by AndrewR
Actually not old son. The gov. obviously try and manipulate the figures for their own end, but overall crime has actually decreased slightly over the last couple of years. Strange but true! (again with the caveat that some area's of crime have increased).
As for the thing on Oz...I don't live in Oz, have never lived there, but the chances of being victim of a crime in Oz are the highest in the westernised world....if you do live there, you have a one in three chance of being a victim of crime over the last year.
[/QUOTE]

In Victoria a couple of Mafia families have been going at each other. So far no one accidentally hit in the cross fire so no one is crying.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 1:56 am
Merlot

Default here, here

Originally posted by gsmith1610
I have to put this post up, even though myself am leaving the UK in January 04 for Vancouver.

Yes, the UK has the worst traffic jams in the world and yes crime is high with a 'durggy' on every street corner...but come on, lets not forget the 'good' points of the UK!

You should all be grateful to have come from the UK and not to forget the privilege you face in being able to actually leave your country and explore without being afraid to return!

Instead of slagging of the UK all the time, just remember what your Grandparents fought for!

Far too may expats verbally abuse their home country. I have seen it far too many times on this board.

My reason for leaving my home country for a time being, is to enrich my life and to experience the world and get to know difference cultures, so that when i return to the UK, i can tell my children about it.

Lets just get a bit more faith and backing behind the UK, afterall, your family are still there?

I apologise if this post seems a little critical, it is not my intention.

:lecture: (over)

Well said, coming back in March 2004 for the same reasons.

Old Dec 25th 2003, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

ontheball is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK is one of the dirtiest countries in the world, according to a searing indictment published by the World Economic Forum, meeting this weekend in New York.
The report says the UK has the worst record of protecting the environment of any country in Europe apart from Belgium, and is worse than Mexico, Russia, Japan and the US.

Overall, the 2002 Environmental Sustainability Index ranks the UK in 98th position out of 142 countries.

The UK is deemed to have a particularly poor record when it comes to reducing air pollution, protecting habitats and reducing greenhouse gases, and has just about the worst performance in the world when it comes to reducing waste and encouraging recycling. Tony Juniper of Friends of the Earth said: 'The study shows the poor record on the environment of successive British governments. To be ranked below the US must embarrass the Prime Minister, who once promised to put the environment at the heart of government.'

The study, compiled by academics at the Yale Centre for Environmental Law and policy and the centre for international earth science information network at Columbia University, takes into account 68 different factors, including how a country responds to pollution, how it protects land, how corrupt the government is and how seriously it takes global climate change.

Yale's Daniel Esty, project manager of the study, was particularly critical of the UK: 'This is a country whose starting point is a degraded environment. You're starting in a deficit position.'

Overall, says Esty, Britain's performance is so low on the table because of its ongoing failure to address its environmental issues.

'You have serious air pollution and a lot of eco-system stress derived from an inadequate land protection program, habitat destruction, significant waste and consumption pressures.'
Old Dec 25th 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

simonsays is an unknown quantity at this point

Or that over-crowding in England is going to get even worse:

Over-crowding in England going to get much worse
Successive governments, by failing to tackle population growth, are turning Britain into a human battery farm - the ugly, congested, unsustainable, urban backyard of Europe.

UK population has grown 20 per cent since 1950. It is 59 million and still rising, projected to grow another 5 million by 2040.

London and the South-East are rapidly becoming a single megalopolis of gridlocked urban sprawl. In its announcement of the Communities Plan for England on 4 February 2003, the UK government planned for the construction of 200,000 more homes by 2016, in addition to 900,000 already planned by local authorities.

In a nightmare vision of the English countryside in 2020, a report to the government's Countryside Agency [The state of the countryside 2020: Scenarios for the future of rural England] published in March 2003 passively accepted that demographic developments will lead to the building of two million new homes across the countryside.

Pent-up and future population growth will be the main cause, made worse by the splitting of households into smaller units - the number of people per household is expected to shrink from 2.5 to 2.25 over the 20 years from 1990 to 2010. So a projected further increase in population of some 4 million by 2026 (7 per cent), and a possible 7 million by 2050, will be even more damaging than previously thought.

Extra housing needs extra roads, energy and other infrastructure. If governments continue to act on a predict-and-provide basis the problems caused by overpopulation will simply spread. Without a policy to gradually reduce UK population there can be no long-term solution to the UK housing problem. Extra housing means extra infrastructure to support it, which multiplies the impact of urbanisation.

Nearly 90 per cent of Britain's population now lives in urban areas, and those areas are continuously expanding to meet the need for ever more houses, roads, airports, shops, offices, factories, hospitals, leisure facilities, power stations, prisons and waste dumps (housing is not the only source of continued land loss spurred on by population growth: an average nuclear power station requires 40 hectares and, if gas cooled, will not be dismantled until 85 years after shutdown. The prison population in England and Wales grew by 25,000 from 1990 t0 71,000 at the end of 2001 and is likely to reach 110,000 by 2010, so that 40 new prisons may have to be built).

According to the Council for the Protection of Rural England, government plans are to build three million new homes in England by 2020 - one million of them in London and the South-East. In spite of recent moves to promote urban regeneration and the use of brownfield sites, up to 60 per cent of new homes may have to be built on greenfield sites and farm land. Both greenfield sites and Green Belt are already being sacrificed to urbanisation and a further 50,000 hectares of countryside (nearly five times the area of Manchester) would have to be concreted over. Every additional home also creates additional demand on resources such as energy and transport, and is therefore likely to increase greenhouse gas emissions.

A whole generation of Britons is being priced out of the housing market. House prices in the UK have now been rising for more than a decade, since the bursting of the stock market bubble. This phenomenon is usually attributed to: low interest rates, easy borrowing at high multiples of income; lack of land supply for building; and, more recently, to the attraction of property as an investment compared with falling equities. While all these factors are real, booming population growth is rarely mentioned. It is a fundamental factor. Population growth curbs freedom. The current Planning and Compulsory Purchase Bill threatens to remove yet more rights from people to control their own environment in order to carry out large infrastructure projects - to accommodate population growth (whether by natural increase or net inward migration) that could easily have been prevented.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 1:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simonsays
Or that over-crowding in England is going to get even worse:

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
Can you say "overkill"?

Post your stupid cut and paste on one thread and be done with it!

Also, do you have any (original) thoughts of your own?

If you want any credibility, quote your sources and give comment. This undocumented, uncommented cut and paste crap gets boring.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

I do stongly agree with some of your comments but it generally infuriates me that people can quote all these figures and facts, yet, they will write reams about the state of a country and seem interested and intrigued in researching it, but yet, they dont seem to do anything proactive about it. Forgive me if you do however, this is a general comment not aimed at anybody on this board.

Going back to point of the thread, so many people are too ready to complain about the UK and its 'dire' state of affairs.

You have probably lived in the uk for 15-30 years or so, and i dare say you have probably contributed to its current state in some way and as i have said previously you should feel lucky that if you feel purturbed by the Uk then you have had the ability to move onto another country and set up a life there! Or is it a case of moving to another country to use or rather clog up their systems, roads, transport, healthcare etc!?

Until people are ready to face up to the problems within the UK and support it ,rather than run out on it, then it is not going to get any better. I feel people in the Uk are too scared to speak out, or have just become too set in their ways of looking after no 1 to care!

People are all too ready to lay back and let someone else worry about the state of affairs. The Government can be blamed for some of the dire policies that are apparent in the UK, but not everything.

Having looked at some of the facts and figures quoted, it seems a real shame that the UK is is in such a state!

I am 25 and feel very strongly about the state of the UK and the fact that the people who can make a difference seem to want to run out of the UK instead of trying to make it a better place!!! I would love to think that my children had a real chance to succeed in the UK. Until 'we' this generation and the generation before us gets there act into gear then the UK is not going to get any better.

It annoyes me to see so many people around my age on drugs, bumming around the streets, robbing old people and the young to get more drugs! Yes, we can have support networks in place, who do a fab job, but until the addicts are really ready to come off drugs then, lets face it, whats the point! I saw an old school friend about a year back, begging!!! I was absolutely disgusted!

Lets get some more people really concerned about the UK and doing something proactive and ASSERTIVE to make a difference!!!

And lastly, bring boot camps or the National Service back to the UK to get the dead legs and thugs off the street and have some discpline drummed into them! Whilst thousands of service men and women were in Iraq, we have thousands of thugs, lining their own pockets and generally been a complete waste of space for the UK! Also, get the people who deal drugs /prostiution etc off the streets. (this is only a small part of it)

I was upset by the recent war in Iraq and did think that elements of it were uncalled for however, we saw demonstrations in London and people with a real passion for making a difference.

Why cant we have people demonstrating about other issues so passionately! I have never seem demonstrations of that magnitude of a long time!

If they are so passionate then get into action and make a difference on some other important issues! Or, actually get over there in Iraq and continue your plight and assit the aid agencies or stay over here in the UK and assist the charities over here!

I am pobably asking for a miracle but i havent lost all faith in the UK yet!

Again, i assert that this posting is not a dig at any of the postings on this board, it is a general posting, leading from some of the points made on this board.
Old Dec 26th 2003, 11:23 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I was upset by the recent war in Iraq and did think that elements of it were uncalled for however, we saw demonstrations in London and people with a real passion for making a difference.

Why cant we have people demonstrating about other issues so passionately! I have never seem demonstrations of that magnitude of a long time!
Poll Tax Riots in Trafalgar Square spring to mind as does the petrol crisis of a few years ago.
Old Dec 27th 2003, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

ontheball is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, England's overall crime rate tops that of the United States in virtually every major category, including violent crimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.