Main reason for moving back?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Main reason for moving back?

Is that a photo of Nottingham in your avatar bluejohn? Looks like Watson Forthergill's council house to me!

I am in Sydney too. Been here a year now. I miss the culture/history of the UK (yes even Nottingham).

Can't imagine staying here too long. I suppose the laid back lifestyle is good for some. I just feel like I have lost my drive and motivation since I got here.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

P.s. verystormy

Sydney has double the rain that London has! We had torrential rain last night/this morning.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:06 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Is that a photo of Nottingham in your avatar bluejohn? Looks like Watson Forthergill's council house to me!

I am in Sydney too. Been here a year now. I miss the culture/history of the UK (yes even Nottingham).

Can't imagine staying here too long. I suppose the laid back lifestyle is good for some. I just feel like I have lost my drive and motivation since I got here.
I agree with this chap, I came for a relax and I feel like the "holiday" is over and I need to get back in the thick of it again. I should've just taken a month of work and went on holiday somewhere.
I also lost all motivation, but have regained it as I'm leaving in 2 weeks!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
I agree with this chap, I came for a relax and I feel like the "holiday" is over and I need to get back in the thick of it again. I should've just taken a month of work and went on holiday somewhere.
I also lost all motivation, but have regained it as I'm leaving in 2 weeks!
Totally agree. I am starting to realise that an extended holiday was probably all I needed instead of a complete relocation. I don't regret coming as I would never have known this but enough is enough now...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I regret it. Not even bothered to get citizenship either
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:31 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Don't regret it.

On our deathbeds what we usually say is 'I wish I had done that' Not the reverse.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

marcelle38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
No I am under no illusions about what UK has become - I go home every year and my mum tells me and I also get the gen from DS who has been in the heart of things for a while. The PC stuff here is different - much more ingrained but that could be because I live in Canberra where, if you dont acknowledge the traditional owners before every tin pot meeting you attend, you get your knuckles rapped! No one has the b*lls to speak out about the PC stuff going on.
keep us updated of how it is over there, i'm thinking about moving but need some more time, i just feel that there is something missing over here, even though the weather is good.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bil
Don't regret it.

On our deathbeds what we usually say is 'I wish I had done that' Not the reverse.
Suppose you're right.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:58 am

One thing I will do differently when I return is take more short breaks in European cities, being so far away from everything in Perth has made me realise I should've been doing it more.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:04 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Suppose you're right.
Surely there have to be a store of amazing memories from having lived in such an unusual country.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Suppose you're right.
You can now regale the guests at dinner parties with amusing anecdotes about the "colonies" whilst they're eating their prwan cocktails and supping Babycham.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

troj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant future

Hi everyone!

First off, I have really enjoyed reading all your posts. I have spent a fair amount of time on the BE/Australia forum and was beginning to think I was the only one who could see the negatives to living here.

Thankfully I found MBTTUK forum! We are not alone!

We have been here (Brisbane) for nearly two years and the first 12 months were fine (I suppose in hindsight, 'the honeymoon period'). In July we found out we were expecting our first child - which was great news as we'd always planned to have kids, but maybe after we were totally settled and sure where we wanted to be. As it has turned out, the pregnancy has made us terribly homesick.
Our little boy was born just one month ago and this exciting time has been diluted by having to introduce him to his family via the internet

My OH has always been a bit unsure about staying or going and as she is one of five sisters (three of them have kids of their own), and now being a mother herself, the pull of home is getting stronger all the time.

For me, the reasons for wanting to go back to England are not as emotional. I feel, as some of you do, cheated by the advertised or percieved Australian way of life

i) Most of my neighbours come home from work in their car, 'buzz' the garage door, drive in and shut the door behind them. So you rarely get to 'have chat over the garden fence'.
ii) Outdoor lifestyle?? We spend less time outdoors than we did in England. Like most people, we spend alot of time during the day trying to stay out of direct sunlight.
iii) The driving Why does the average Aussie go from being the stereotype 'laid back, do it tomorrow' type of guy/woman; To the most impatient and inconsiderate fool once behind the wheel of a car???
I love driving and still consider having a driving licence a privilage but, driving in Brisbane is annoying and hazardous to say the least. And the Police think catching people speeding will solve the problem Maybe stop people tailgating, under taking, jumping lights and limit the speed trucks are able to reach
iv) Cost of living. eg, $3.60 for a loaf of decent bread
v) Feel very isolated.
vi) Beaches are nice, but because of our work, we don't live anywhere near them. Same goes for the rainforests.
vii) Miss the pubs, country pub meals, drives through the countryside.
viii) For some reason, I've lost alot of motivation at work... not sure why?
ix) We know how the system works in England. Always feel like I have to be on guard so I don't get my pants pulled down!

Thats enough for now!

Paul
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

i tend to agree- having children and being away from your family sucks- alot! especially when they would have cousins to grow up with, i feel totally and utterly worn out also
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
One thing I will do differently when I return is take more short breaks in European cities, being so far away from everything in Perth has made me realise I should've been doing it more.
That's one of the things we're going to do as well. First one will be a long weekend to Barcelona. Can't wait!

As to the whole regret / don't regret thing - I dunno really. It's all part of 'stuff you did', isn't it? For a while I was regretting us having come out here because of what it's done to our relationship, but actually I don't think it's healthy to think of it in those terms. It's just something that we tried, now we're trying the next thing. If we regret it then we start to blame ourselves, each other... and that's not going to get you anywhere.

Sarah
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

troj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant futuretroj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by horrigans
That's one of the things we're going to do as well. First one will be a long weekend to Barcelona. Can't wait!

As to the whole regret / don't regret thing - I dunno really. It's all part of 'stuff you did', isn't it? For a while I was regretting us having come out here because of what it's done to our relationship, but actually I don't think it's healthy to think of it in those terms. It's just something that we tried, now we're trying the next thing. If we regret it then we start to blame ourselves, each other... and that's not going to get you anywhere.

Sarah
We will definately be off to see more of Europe too.

Agree with your 'stuff you did' comment. Spot on, whats the point of regretting it?

Many people would love to move here but can't or are not brave enough... at least we tried

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.