Looking for information

Old Dec 11th 2016, 3:06 pm
  #31  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 150
LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by angie_329
A long shot but do you have any recent Irish Ancestry?:

Sorry to hear your parents are both ill and you just lost your job. Were you hoping to find work in the UK? Is there any possibility for you to get another job in the US near your parents perhaps?

As other posters have pointed out, you would need a work permit (tier 2) visa to work in the UK, either for skills shortage jobs sponsored by an employer- see link below-, or a job via an inter company transfer.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ember_2015.pdf
Hello angie_329
Thank you for the kind words.
I have English ancestry. My great-grandmother hails from the east side of London.
I would like to find work in the UK eventually but right now I'm in research mode. Not only that, there's no way I'd leave my parents while they're this sick. My father is close to 90 and his health is declining.

Also, thank you for the link. I appreciate the help.
LoveFortheUK is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2016, 5:28 am
  #32  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 526
angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Hello angie_329
Thank you for the kind words.
I have English ancestry. My great-grandmother hails from the east side of London.
I would like to find work in the UK eventually but right now I'm in research mode. Not only that, there's no way I'd leave my parents while they're this sick. My father is close to 90 and his health is declining.

Also, thank you for the link. I appreciate the help.
No problem.. I sympathise about your situation with unwell elderly parents.
There are so many people with English ancestry who unfortunately cannot get rights to live in the UK. Generally it has to be one generation back to inherit the citizenship. Some countries allow one to inherit from grandparents or further back.
angie_329 is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:07 am
  #33  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 18,219
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

The OP has been good information in her previous thread on both family history research and obtaining Hungarian citizenship to allow her to move to the UK as an EU citizen but doesn't appear to have acted on it. If she's thinking of the latter option I would hurry up as it appears that door is about to be closed.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2016, 12:17 pm
  #34  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 150
LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for information

I have another question.
This one is more for the ladies but anyone may answer if they wish.
For those of you who know me and have read my previous posts, you know I'm American but speak with a British accent (comes from my grandmothers British accent).
My question is this.
Would you ladies be insulted if you were dating an American man who spoke with a British accent?
Does the accent matter to you or is it insignificant if the guy you're seeing treats you well?
Yes, silly questions but I'm just curious.
LoveFortheUK is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2016, 1:23 pm
  #35  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 21,203
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
I have another question.
This one is more for the ladies but anyone may answer if they wish.
For those of you who know me and have read my previous posts, you know I'm American but speak with a British accent (comes from my grandmothers British accent).
My question is this.
Would you ladies be insulted if you were dating an American man who spoke with a British accent?
Does the accent matter to you or is it insignificant if the guy you're seeing treats you well?
Yes, silly questions but I'm just curious.
I wouldn't say it's a silly question, more like incomprehensible

Anyway, I'm up late with a rotten head cold so I'll play.

If they'd spent all or most of their lives in the UK, then I wouldn't think anything of it.

If they'd been surrounded for most of their lives only by people who spoke with that particular British accent (there are many different ones!), then again I wouldn't think anything of it.

If they'd lived in the US for all or most of their life, been brought up in the US, went to school in the US, worked in the US, yet spoke with a British accent - I'd think they were a bit weird, or pretentious, or a stubby short of a 6 pack, and it'd never get as far as dating!

You did ask......
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2016, 3:41 pm
  #36  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,578
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
.... My question is this.
Would you ladies be insulted if you were dating an American man who spoke with a British accent? .....
You mean like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins?
Pulaski is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:55 pm
  #37  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 150
LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wouldn't say it's a silly question, more like incomprehensible

Anyway, I'm up late with a rotten head cold so I'll play.

If they'd spent all or most of their lives in the UK, then I wouldn't think anything of it.

If they'd been surrounded for most of their lives only by people who spoke with that particular British accent (there are many different ones!), then again I wouldn't think anything of it.

If they'd lived in the US for all or most of their life, been brought up in the US, went to school in the US, worked in the US, yet spoke with a British accent - I'd think they were a bit weird, or pretentious, or a stubby short of a 6 pack, and it'd never get as far as dating!

You did ask......


SOS people think I'm weird anyway, accent or no accent.
Pretentious is a bit of a stretch but I understand.
I'm sure there are some women who would think I'm full of it
Then again there are many Americans who think I'm full of it so what else is new?

I am who I am and I speak the way I speak.
I will either be accepted for it or I won't be accepted for it.
I've been dealing with it since I'm four so I'm used to people's opinions by now.
LoveFortheUK is offline  
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:41 pm
  #38  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,166
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
SOS people think I'm weird anyway, accent or no accent.
Pretentious is a bit of a stretch but I understand.
I'm sure there are some women who would think I'm full of it
Then again there are many Americans who think I'm full of it so what else is new?

I am who I am and I speak the way I speak.
I will either be accepted for it or I won't be accepted for it.
I've been dealing with it since I'm four so I'm used to people's opinions by now.
I'd certainly think it was a bit odd or 'put on'. I'm the other way around, I have a grandmother who was American, but having grown up in the south of England (for the most part), been schooled here, and been surrounded by Brits, I have an English accent as you'd expect. It would be very strange for me to have picked up on a grandparents accent when everybody else was speaking in a Brit accent!

I suspect that although you (and possibly other Americans) might think you're speaking in a British accent, if you were actually in the UK speaking to Brits we'd all think you sounded American.

One thing that is considered pretentious by most Brits is when Americans claim to be from a country that they only have relatives from and often they've never even visited i.e. 'I'm Irish' when they haven't been there and just have one grandparent that is Irish! It's been mentioned on other threads, but just as a heads up really. Maybe the difference is that as Europeans we often have lots of different ancestry in us. For example, my other grandmother was French, but even having visited France at least once a year for most of my life, I wouldn't see myself as French in any way or have any tie to the country other than enjoying being a tourist there, and I'd certainly never claim to be French or identify with it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 15th 2016 at 6:49 pm.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2016, 2:57 am
  #39  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You mean like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins?
That must be the x-rated version you're referring to, I only saw him holding her hand.
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2016, 3:08 am
  #40  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That must be the x-rated version you're referring to, I only saw him holding her hand.
Brilliant.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 1:24 am
  #41  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 150
LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd certainly think it was a bit odd or 'put on'. I'm the other way around, I have a grandmother who was American, but having grown up in the south of England (for the most part), been schooled here, and been surrounded by Brits, I have an English accent as you'd expect. It would be very strange for me to have picked up on a grandparents accent when everybody else was speaking in a Brit accent!

I suspect that although you (and possibly other Americans) might think you're speaking in a British accent, if you were actually in the UK speaking to Brits we'd all think you sounded American.

One thing that is considered pretentious by most Brits is when Americans claim to be from a country that they only have relatives from and often they've never even visited i.e. 'I'm Irish' when they haven't been there and just have one grandparent that is Irish! It's been mentioned on other threads, but just as a heads up really. Maybe the difference is that as Europeans we often have lots of different ancestry in us. For example, my other grandmother was French, but even having visited France at least once a year for most of my life, I wouldn't see myself as French in any way or have any tie to the country other than enjoying being a tourist there, and I'd certainly never claim to be French or identify with it.
Two points
First, I've never claimed to be from Britain. I have British ancestry but that's as far as it goes.
As for my accent, sometimes it's strong and sometimes its weak. It was much stronger when my gran was alive but there are times when I speak and people will ask which part of England do I come form. Then there are other times when I speak and people will ask me how long I've been in the states.
Now to answer the question "Why do I speak with a British accent if I'm American." Because I like the way I sound with my British accent. I speak with an American accent and I sound so dull in my opinion
LoveFortheUK is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 1:48 am
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

I'd love to know what the OP means by a "British" accent. RP? There are numerous accents in the UK, just as there are in the US.

I'd probably be a bit intrigued by an American with a (one of the many) "British" accent, until I learnt that he's never lived in the U.K. At which point I'd probably think "how odd" or "how pretentious", or more likely: "is he taking the Michael?"...

As already mentioned, it's highly likely that the OP's "British" accent sounds American to Brits in Britain .
Shirtback is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 2:00 am
  #43  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,166
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Two points
First, I've never claimed to be from Britain. I have British ancestry but that's as far as it goes.
As for my accent, sometimes it's strong and sometimes its weak. It was much stronger when my gran was alive but there are times when I speak and people will ask which part of England do I come form. Then there are other times when I speak and people will ask me how long I've been in the states.
Now to answer the question "Why do I speak with a British accent if I'm American." Because I like the way I sound with my British accent. I speak with an American accent and I sound so dull in my opinion
That's what's odd IMO, that you're actively trying to sound British, when you're not remotely British! Why try so hard to be something you're not? I would just suggest that when you do finally make it over to the UK to visit, that you talk with your normal accent instead of trying to sound British, as it's bound to sound anything but and you might end up with people thinking you're rather odd (at best), or even mocking or insulting them by trying to copy their accent!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 2:01 am
  #44  
Was in Canada, now home.
 
Editha's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,388
Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
I have another question.
This one is more for the ladies but anyone may answer if they wish.
For those of you who know me and have read my previous posts, you know I'm American but speak with a British accent (comes from my grandmothers British accent).
My question is this.
Would you ladies be insulted if you were dating an American man who spoke with a British accent?
Does the accent matter to you or is it insignificant if the guy you're seeing treats you well?
Yes, silly questions but I'm just curious.
You may think you have an English accent but you will sound American to an English person. So you have nothing to worry about.
Editha is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:15 am
  #45  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,112
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by Editha
You may think you have an English accent but you will sound American to an English person. So you have nothing to worry about.
Yep, people aren't that good at knowing their own accents. I worked with an Aussie/Brit, who had emigrated to Oz with his parents when he was in his early teens. I knew him when he was in his early twenties, and he proudly stated that he'd been in Oz for ten years or so, but didn't have an Aussie accent. My fellow Brits and I fell about laughing.
Bahtatboy is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.