Location, location, location

Old May 15th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by johnh009
Quite right. I was only responding to someone's post; I don't want to be shot at dawn for going off topic. I believe this subject has been flogged to death somewhere on BE but it is in a state of flux.

Here is a bargain for those who don't like neighbours if you take into account what they call "hope value". Never heard of that before. Niced area though.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30029950.html
Good one!

My mother use to say "CLOSE THE DOOR!, DO YOU THINK YOU LIVE IN A BARN"
Old May 16th 2011, 10:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I think pensions worthy of their own thread.
Definitely:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696551
Old May 16th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Quite right. I was only responding to someone's post; I don't want to be shot at dawn for going off topic. I believe this subject has been flogged to death somewhere on BE but it is in a state of flux.
Ironically, ALL the pensions knowledge is available in the public domain under www.direct.gov.uk/statepension so you only have to look there to find what you need. If we are answering queries, basically we become goafers for somebody else's search.

In fact, as I was hinting yesterday, Government website formats are changing fairly regularly, as are pension forecast procedures so if we give advice based upon our experience it often turns out it has been superceded.

It is advisable to get your own British Government (Government Gateway) password and login as this will allow you to gain better access to online filings (pension and tax).

I went into the system late yesterday and did a hypothetical enquiry as to whether I qualified for Pension Credits based upon dummy info. If I (as a couple) have 25,000 in savings, get a (one) full state pension plus a private pension of 100 pounds per week, I get 18.97 per week in Pension Credit.

I'm ALL FOR that new thread but as you say it has already been flogged to death several times over.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 16th 2011 at 12:10 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Quote:

We are in Scotland just outside Glasgow. We put our house on the market in October 2010. It's a 3 bedroom mid terrace with large garden in walk in condition. Unfortunately the market here is very very slow. We have had 4 viewings so far and it's on the market at £10k below market price. Others in the area have started drastically slashing their prices ina n effort to sell but it hasn't really made much of a difference in my area as they are still on the market. We are just not willing to sell our house at a loss right now so we have had to organise to rent it out for 2 years and then hopefully the market will have picked up and we can try to sell again. It's not ideal but renting for 2 years in Canada will make our own home all the more sweeter when we finally can buy it.
Good luck to all of you who are selling.
I know this was only an example but it goes to show how hard things are for some.

From today's papers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-to-find-a-job

Explains some Glasgow problems.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I know this was only an example but it goes to show how hard things are for some.

From today's papers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-to-find-a-job

Explains some Glasgow problems.
Don't worry, Alex Salmond will solve all of Scotland's problems, if his campaign drivel is to be believed.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't worry, Alex Salmond will solve all of Scotland's problems, if his campaign drivel is to be believed.
Oh Good!

The article rang a bell for me as my son starts his first day's work today in his chosen career (at age 27) in the Glasgow area. No more waiting tables, hopefully
Old May 16th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not there but when you think of the millions that are out of work maybe a reality check is best and that can begin by a trip to main street on Saturday and see all those leaving with their plastic bags full of shopping.

We learned in college that if you had a job there is 100% employment but when you don't have a job there is 100% unemployment. Or something like that?

There few things worse than being unemployed and unable to find work.

Everyone looks to the government to solve the problem. Do you think that is the answer?
Old May 16th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not there but when you think of the millions that are out of work maybe a reality check is best and that can begin by a trip to main street on Saturday and see all those leaving with their plastic bags full of shopping.

We learned in college that if you had a job there is 100% employment but when you don't have a job there is 100% unemployment. Or something like that?

Everyone looks to the government to solve the problem. Do you think that is the answer?
The answer is NO! If what you are saying is we should either rely on benefits or public sector work it's a double NO! That is the biggest reason the UK is in the mess it is in right now, aside from the banking crisis.

I'm really not sure that there is anybody IN Government who really knows what it is to do a day's work from either the employee's or the employer's perspective. Therefore expecting them to come up with UK industry stimulating proposals this late in the game is expecting a lot. Where they have tinkered with taxation recently they've actually damaged industry and investment. The top Tories are City-Connected so they'll be focused on the future of their city interests which is financial services. If those interests turn out to coincide with the national interest well then that's good.

Location Location Location:

If they do come up with solid plans for new enterprise zones and enterprises to replace current failing industry this could have a significant impact upon the attractiveness of some areas for property owners/renters. My son spoke to me yesterday of current plans for creation of eco/green/sustainable towns which would be worth taking a look at.

From the Clyde unemployment article:

"George Osborne, the chancellor, has repeatedly stated that 400,000 jobs have been created in the last year, though closer analysis shows a majority of them are part-time. The National Institute of Economic & Social Research said of the 200,000 jobs created in 2010 more than 90% were part time."

So underemployment is actually making the reality much worse than the stats being banded about will have us believe.

As you say, if you have a job then you should be fine and dandy, but I know of folks with jobs that are using new no-interest-in-the-first-year credit cards to see them by for the time-being. The illusion of heavy shopping doesn't mean prosperity. Almost every week there is a fresh profits warning from a major retailer in the UK.

Location Location Location:

Has anyone checked out the menus on Sainsbury's 50 pounds a week promo?

http://www.sainsburys-feed-your-family.co.uk/MealPlan/

(If) You could get them to deliver to you in the sticks. You'll be just fine.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 16th 2011 at 4:57 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

An over-55s retirement property. Only one of the partners need be 55.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-23587648.html

another, better laid-out.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32850686.html
Old May 16th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cromer in Norfolk seems reasonable for renting.

I found these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-26678230.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18465168.html

44 mins to Norwich by train.

3 hours to London (change in Norwich) - hence the lower rents
Old May 16th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re 609 post.

Maybe we should start a game and see who comes up with the best find.

Those cottages look good from the outside but they need to be improved on the inside. The village looks dead. Alright for senior people but I'm not available for death yet. What I did like is it is 3 bedroom. There is a heafty £100 per month maintenance fee. Price is not bad although they may have doubled in price from 10 years ago, I don't know.
Question? Why are there so many for sale? Suspicious.

Good-Price, good-peaceful(like a cemetery), no traffic, 3 beds, grounds, space

Bad-old, no shops,

Now this is my find as a comparison.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29474642.html

This is more meeee!
More money but worth it.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re 609 post.

Now this is my find as a comparison.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29474642.html

This is more meeee!
More money but worth it.
In the words of Janice Nichols:

Oi'll give it foive! out of five
Old May 16th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Thanks Dunroving.

Tina, I have posted a response on this thread. I spoke to UK pensions last night.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really quoting several posts from Dunroving, Pistolpete & Cheers here relating to the job market which does impact the location where we choose to live.

Based upon my experience of Vancouver after Expo 86 and the 2010 Olympics, I think it's fair to say that the 2012 Olympics will generate a lot of jobs and be generally good for the economy. Remember there are many venues outside of London. We also need to be aware that this will bring many international visitors to these areas and can probably expect that it will create a rise in housing prices in those areas if visitors consider these venues a good place to live.
At the minimum, it will be a boon for those on the coast (Dorset, Hants ) and in other venues, who hold B & B properties. Those rates will likely take a big hike for the period of the Olympics at least.
Perhaps we should take a look at where those venues are.

Answering my own question:
http://www.london2012.com/games/venues/index.php

I'm a bit cheesed off about Weymouth, and I think there are other venues not listed here around Hants coast and Isle of Wight.

Last edited by bandrui; May 16th 2011 at 9:54 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

At the risk of exposing myself personally which many of you choose not to do, and to let you know that your posts do not fall on deaf ears , I thought I would let you know that I have completely revised my plans as follows:
1) I think it will be next year, or conceivably 2013 before I get to the UK.
2) I have decided to look for a rental with studio space where I can focus on my textile work (surface design, felting, etc.) in some location that has a strong arts market. This to permit me more freedom in exploring the UK and to create some additional income since I will not likely be able to live on pension income.
3) I shall take the money from my house and if the housing market does fall, buy optimistically 2 well-chosen buy-to-let properties that will create additional monthly income for me while hopefully increasing in value.
This is only a high-level plan that will have many details to be worked out but seems that it may fit my objectives.

As I was just PMing, I think the future of jobs are in the re-creation of local communities and older simpler ways of living. Something akin to what your son was saying Pete although I do think this whole Eco, Green thing is a bit of a racket in itself. Perhaps I am just a purist at heart.

p.s. I am currently looking at rentals in towns on the Dorset coast... Swanage, Weymouth, Poole... where there are Arts communities. I shall also look at Lewes and other Sussex towns that are close to the coast. At the moment I am thinking that if I am renting, I would like to be near the sea, but this too could change, as it has before. (Wiltshire, Somerset, Herefordshire, Shropshire are always in my sights).

Last edited by bandrui; May 16th 2011 at 10:39 pm. Reason: p.s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.