Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

That "Light at the End of the Tunnel" moment.....

That "Light at the End of the Tunnel" moment.....

Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That "Light at the End of the Tunnel" moment.....

Originally Posted by pommybird
Feisty pair ain't we??!!xx
Darn you are feisty.
I wish I had could pull that off. But being married to the biggest procrastinator and hermit ever, he'd probably hole up in the house never to leave except to go to work and back in a huge depression.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 3:34 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Darn you are feisty.
I wish I had could pull that off. But being married to the biggest procrastinator and hermit ever, he'd probably hole up in the house never to leave except to go to work and back in a huge depression.
Ah, the life of the procrastinator. You poor love, I live with one of those! He's someone who hates change and our move 'home' is like torture for him. I want to let him come round to the idea though as dragging him across the ocean may end in divorce! I'm grateful he isn't as impulsive as me but would love a little more enthusiasm and positive thinking to make me believe this is a good idea.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Polly! Go for it girl, what is fear but a few hormones out of place!!!!

Looks like the UK has a few disasters it could do with some help in managing!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Wow Polly! Go for it girl, what is fear but a few hormones out of place!!!!

Looks like the UK has a few disasters it could do with some help in managing!
Just lead me to them
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Ah, the life of the procrastinator. You poor love, I live with one of those! He's someone who hates change and our move 'home' is like torture for him. I want to let him come round to the idea though as dragging him across the ocean may end in divorce! I'm grateful he isn't as impulsive as me but would love a little more enthusiasm and positive thinking to make me believe this is a good idea.
They were separated at birth I don't want things to end badly, but I'm bound and determined. He'll be bitching and moaning for years to come.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:03 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I think my light was when Dad had died, I came home to bury him, then returned to W.A. I remember the actual physical pain inside when I left my newly widowed Mum crying outside Birmingham International airport It suddenly became so clear to me, my family, my history and my roots are so much more important than any amount of sunshine, big houses or extravagant lifestyle.

You can do this Polly, you are strong enough, and you will discover just how strong you are. It shocked the sh*t out of me how strong I can be!!!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:05 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I think my light was when Dad had died, I came home to bury him, then returned to W.A. I remember the actual physical pain inside when I left my newly widowed Mum crying outside Birmingham International airport It suddenly became so clear to me, my family, my history and my roots are so much more important than any amount of sunshine, big houses or extravagant lifestyle.

You can do this Polly, you are strong enough, and you will discover just how strong you are. It shocked the sh*t out of me how strong I can be!!!
Hi Tracey,
You are so clearly happy to be back and that gives me such hope and a Ready Brek glow! When my Dad died I could hardly believe the guilt of being away. I was lucky that I could cancel the work I had and everyone was so understanding but if I had been in a 'normal' job I couldn't have been there as long as I was. i was able to be with him until he died thank goodness.

Devon sounds so lovely.....maybe my hubby and I could retire there one day!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:55 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Old Dec 5th 2009, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracey,
You are so clearly happy to be back and that gives me such hope and a Ready Brek glow! When my Dad died I could hardly believe the guilt of being away. I was lucky that I could cancel the work I had and everyone was so understanding but if I had been in a 'normal' job I couldn't have been there as long as I was. i was able to be with him until he died thank goodness.

Devon sounds so lovely.....maybe my hubby and I could retire there one day!
Yes, very very happy to be back home. Devon is wonderful and we're very glad we chose to come here.

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. Some poor sods end up stuck in their adopted country through circumstance, fear of change, or whatever. I just decided I couldn't live a half life for the rest of my life and I am so glad i made the move.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

I just decided I couldn't live a half life for the rest of my life and I am so glad i made the move. [/QUOTE]

Just popped in to say hello These words could be mine really! I think my 'light bulb' moment was when myself and my two young children had just moved to Sydney from Melbourne, strange place, new home etc and we all became ill with a sickness virus, my OH left us for 3 days to attend meetings on The Gold Coast. It was horrendous, we knew no-one and it was completely just the three of us.

Within 3 weeks we were home. I left behind a broken marriage, (it had been in trouble for a while) my then husband, with a 4 year old and a two year old. It has been hard but there hasn't been a day goes by that I don't regret my decision. I think that light bulb moment has led me to be the person I am today; a good mom, a determined person with my own dreams and no, they don't consist of a return to Oz!! Lots of love everyone and happy christmas, love this time of year axx
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:05 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by happy4
I just decided I couldn't live a half life for the rest of my life and I am so glad i made the move.
Just popped in to say hello These words could be mine really! I think my 'light bulb' moment was when myself and my two young children had just moved to Sydney from Melbourne, strange place, new home etc and we all became ill with a sickness virus, my OH left us for 3 days to attend meetings on The Gold Coast. It was horrendous, we knew no-one and it was completely just the three of us.

Within 3 weeks we were home. I left behind a broken marriage, (it had been in trouble for a while) my then husband, with a 4 year old and a two year old. It has been hard but there hasn't been a day goes by that I don't regret my decision. I think that light bulb moment has led me to be the person I am today; a good mom, a determined person with my own dreams and no, they don't consist of a return to Oz!! Lots of love everyone and happy christmas, love this time of year axx[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your story. It's comforting to hear from people who have no regrets about going home. I hope my trip home happens sooner than later as the madness will really set in when I have this baby (currently 26 weeks preggers) and will be home bound more. Yikes..... To make my home sickness worse my best frind back home is having her baby 2 weeks before I have mine. I guess that was a big flashing light at the end of hte tunnel to return home as I can't think of anything nicer than sharing those baby times with her.

I so miss the closeness of friends back home and Brit humour. At least I'll be laughing in the rain!

Thanks again for your post and so glad things worked out for you and your children.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:06 pm
Lost in Space

Within 3 weeks we were home. I left behind a broken marriage, (it had been in trouble for a while) my then husband, with a 4 year old and a two year old. It has been hard but there hasn't been a day goes by that I don't regret my decision. I think that light bulb moment has led me to be the person I am today; a good mom, a determined person with my own dreams and no, they don't consist of a return to Oz!! Lots of love everyone and happy christmas, love this time of year axx

Thanks for sharing your story. It's comforting to hear from people who have no regrets about going home. I hope my trip home happens sooner than later as the madness will really set in when I have this baby (currently 26 weeks preggers) and will be home bound more. Yikes..... To make my home sickness worse my best frind back home is having her baby 2 weeks before I have mine. I guess that was a big flashing light at the end of the tunnel to return home as I can't think of anything nicer than sharing those baby times with her.

I so miss the closeness of friends back home and Brit humour. At least I'll be laughing in the rain!

Thanks again for your post and so glad things worked out for you and your children.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

facing the real question of "why don't I........." Then when someone said to me "You're just scared" I suddenly realised that's all it is, and after that everything else just started to make sense and fall into place.
Someone once said that no-one on their death-bed ever laments about the things they did - rather they regret the things they didn't do.
What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sound very intriging and exciting-whats going on in your mind at the mo....!

good luck

C
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:04 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
They were separated at birth I don't want things to end badly, but I'm bound and determined. He'll be bitching and moaning for years to come.
Hope all is well with you and your hubby is 'coming round' to your way of thinking. We can't have a conversation about any of it, apart from our mutual dislike of here. Sad nd frustrating but I hope we get through it as there's a whole lot of love there! Ah bugger it......stress is not his friend...s it anybody's though?

So far we're having the baby in March and returning to Blighty there after. That's as far as we've got without screaming! HELP!!!!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:54 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by chance to be
Someone once said that no-one on their death-bed ever laments about the things they did - rather they regret the things they didn't do.
What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sound very intriging and exciting-whats going on in your mind at the mo....!

good luck

C
Lots of thoughts chasing each other round in circles!

If I wasn't afraid I'd be on QF51 tomorrow, and outta here back home......but then my sensible side says hang on, job, somewhere to live, money to live on.....I have no cash behind me and no property to sell, and my job here is finally one I adore. The big question is, can a woman live for her job alone.....
thats where my mind starts going round in circles

As for the regrets thing - I promised a long-dead friend many years ago that I would never regret anything I'd done. His theor was that its a waste of energy, cos if you are going to regret it you shouldn't have done it in the first place. And he's right I don't regret anything I've done, including my move to Australia. And I don't want to find myself regretting the fact I didn't go back....but I think it needs some serious thought first from a planning perspective!

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 8th 2009 at 5:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.