Incomers on Bute 1940

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Incomers on Bute 1940

I recommend this book on Bute - (sadly only available in Polish at the moment !) "Wyspa Wezy" by Malgorzata Szejnert
'Organizing old letters, Małgorzata Szejnert finds a family riddle. In May 1943, Uncle Ignacy Raczkowski was buried in the cemetery in Rothesay on the island of Bute. Why was this not discussed at home? Could his presence on the island be embarrassing? Searching for answers, the reporter sets off on a journey in the footsteps of her uncle - to London archives and to Scotland. He gradually discovers a troubling episode of World War II: a detention camp for Polish officers run by the Polish military authorities. Officers could play bridge, go to dances and learn English. The bombs did not fall on Bute. Sometimes the ghostly wrecks of torpedoed ships entering the bay reminded me that the world was on fire not far away. But Poles experienced the forced stay on the island as a cruel punishment. The "Island of Snakes" is a breakthrough story about a war that is more often than a fight a wait. Meticulously recreating the events from over seventy years ago, Małgorzata Szejnert talks about our strength and helplessness, about our honor and flaws. And also about memory and oblivion: personal, family, collective. Above all, however, it paints our movingly current, disturbing self-portrait. Małgorzata Szejnert - journalist, head of the reportage department in Gazeta Wyborcza for almost fifteen years.'

(Machine translation of the publisher's blurb.)

Last edited by scot47; Sep 22nd 2020 at 9:56 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2020, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Incomers on Bute 1940

The same author has just had a book published in English translation. "Ellis Island" Of great interest to those who wish to read about emigration to The USA

https://culture.pl/en/work/wyspa-klu...rzata-szejnert
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds such a good read.I was born during WW2 & am interested in hearing the other side of this time from different nationalities.As I live in a very multi-cultural mix.I have heard from various people.These include an ex-Hitler Youth man who was captured by Russian Forces & sent on a forced march to their country,a French lady who was in the street welcoming Allied Forces with flowers in Normandy,Norwegians describing occupation & Swedes who were in a neutral country & a German friend who,as an adult,worked as au-pair for a French family in Paris & cried every day as they kept reminding her of the horrors of the Nazi regime.One day she shouted"But Adolf Hitler was NOT my Father".We can gain so much understanding from these accounts so I feel it was a pity this man did not recount his side to his family.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Germany after 1945 there was a culture of silence. A good approach to that is "Promise Me That You Will Shoot Yourself"

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/314/...141990774.html

Last edited by scot47; Sep 23rd 2020 at 1:31 pm.