How things change..

Old Jul 27th 2023, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default How things change..

So hello again everyone.. First my health is fine except for same issue of being overweight. I may have not written about this but I finally received inheritance from my late uncle's estate. It is a small enough sum that if I am careful I won't have to worry about money ever again. I've been living like a pauper for past 2 to 3 years as I didn't work much due to my depression and anxiety. I am 62 this year and at times wonder if I will ever move back to the UK. It seems to have changed in many ways. I just spoke to my friend in Preston who says there is hardly any greenery anymore around that area. I also may have 2 new job opportunities. One working remotely in AZ or a position in Spanaway WA. We shall see how things go. Life in US pretty much same as always. Don't really have any ties at all anymore with anyone which gets me down at times. My brother would have turned 60 on August 3 which is always a difficult day for me. For right now life is okay. Thanks for reading.
Old Jul 27th 2023, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How things change..

It sounds as if life has given you some good fortune after recent hardships. A new job will also offer the opportunity for new connections. There is so much upheaval everywhere at the moment that I think your sense that your life is on a fairly even keel is a reassurance.

Wishing you all the best x
Old Jul 27th 2023, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I am 62 this year and at times wonder if I will ever move back to the UK. It seems to have changed in many ways. I just spoke to my friend in Preston who says there is hardly any greenery anymore around that area
No doubt places will have changed with more people, that there is no greenery probably depends how you view things. It has always been a densely populated area but just above you have Forest of Bowland
https://www.forestofbowland.com/

If searching for more greenery, you basically have Wales further down.

Old Jul 27th 2023, 7:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So hello again everyone.. First my health is fine except for same issue of being overweight. I may have not written about this but I finally received inheritance from my late uncle's estate. It is a small enough sum that if I am careful I won't have to worry about money ever again. I've been living like a pauper for past 2 to 3 years as I didn't work much due to my depression and anxiety. I am 62 this year and at times wonder if I will ever move back to the UK. It seems to have changed in many ways. I just spoke to my friend in Preston who says there is hardly any greenery anymore around that area. I also may have 2 new job opportunities. One working remotely in AZ or a position in Spanaway WA. We shall see how things go. Life in US pretty much same as always. Don't really have any ties at all anymore with anyone which gets me down at times. My brother would have turned 60 on August 3 which is always a difficult day for me. For right now life is okay. Thanks for reading.
Your resilience has always been an inspiration. I'm so glad to hear that your health is good and best of luck with your future plans.
Old Jul 27th 2023, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update! I was just thinking about you and glad you posted. I know you miss your brother very much. I am sure that the UK has changed a lot but then so has the US. I would never dream of telling you what to do, but I know that the only reason I stay here is because of my children and grandchildren. If I didn't have them here I would have gone back many years ago after my divorce. It's hard when you are on your own. Anyway, good luck for the future and whatever you decide to do about your job opportunities here in the US or returning to the UK. Take care of yourself.
Old Jul 27th 2023, 6:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Good news. You deserve a break and I'm glad things have taken a turn for the better. Perhaps you will be able to manage a trip to the UK now to see what you think.
Old Aug 1st 2023, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Was in Preston in March this year after leaving that area just over 35 yrs ago. There is still a fair amount greenery however some is being used to build new houses as the UK population continues to grow. Yes a lot of things were different but some stuff had not changed. Preston Bus station is still the same and Fishergate is basically pedestrianized apart from certain vehicles. Nice new retail development at Deepdale near the PNE ground. Even though I was home it did not feel like home and to be honest I would not move back unless I won the lottery or somebody left me wads of cash.

I enjoyed driving in the country but also used the Motorway system as well. All countries have crap drivers and the UK is not exempt. Forgot what it was like driving on the M6 then coming across an accident then being stuck for hours just to travel a couple of miles. I enjoyed the visit back and yes if you have money you can travel all over Europe a lot cheaper than North America and I also forgot that it only rained for 25 out of the 28 days I was there and the Steak Pudding & chips did not taste as good as I remember.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

so thought I'd update.. I am fine. Just still battling my weight (190lbs at 5ft 2') I have been desperately unhappy for many years. Many of you know about my brother's several years ago. Well I went to Odessa TX for fresh start in 2019. Big big mistake! It's an absolute hell hole. since 2020 I have not held down a 40 hour a week job. In speech you can do home health, get paid fairly well but no benefits, no paid holidays as I was 1099. With time spent driving, cancellations for which you don't get paid I finally got really tired of it all. so now to the present. I am a Speech Language Pathology Assistance for which I earned my 2nd degree. I am 61 now and don't have kids but I now work in schools setting and love it. the job is mentally exhausting as you have to prep materials. Yesterday I had to prep for 15 kids and that is only 1 day! I work with kids from age 5 to 15. My supervisors are very supportive I actually finally have decent benefits. I do go home very often exhausted as it can be a tiring job but so far so good. can honestly say for once I am reasonably happy all things considered... Thank you as always thru the years for the kindness and support provided by some of you.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

so thought I'd update.. I am fine. Just still battling my weight (190lbs at 5ft 2') I have been desperately unhappy for many years. Many of you know about my brother's several years ago. Well I went to Odessa TX for fresh start in 2019. Big big mistake! It's an absolute hell hole. since 2020 I have not held down a 40 hour a week job. In speech you can do home health, get paid fairly well but no benefits, no paid holidays as I was 1099. With time spent driving, cancellations for which you don't get paid I finally got really tired of it all. so now to the present. I am a Speech Language Pathology Assistance for which I earned my 2nd degree. I am 61 now and don't have kids but I now work in schools setting and love it. the job is mentally exhausting as you have to prep materials. Yesterday I had to prep for 15 kids and that is only 1 day! I work with kids from age 5 to 15. My supervisors are very supportive I actually finally have decent benefits. I do go home very often exhausted as it can be a tiring job but so far so good. can honestly say for once I am reasonably happy all things considered... Thank you as always thru the years for the kindness and support provided by some of you.
Thank you for posting! So glad that things are going better for you and you have managed to get a job with decent benefits! Yes - I remember how difficult things were for you and realize you must really miss your brother. My youngest daughter and also grandson both had speech problems and they had great help from a speech therapist. I think it must be a really rewarding job to help children with their speech. Glad things are going better for you. Take care of yourself.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you DerryGal can always rely on you for your kindness and support. Dwane died nearly 11 years ago and still cant really talk about him without choking up.. Overall things are not too bad.. Planning on going to UK next year but also see other parts of Europe. Kind regards, Caroline
Old Sep 29th 2023, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased to hear you have a better job. It can make all the difference in how you feel.
It's good to hear you sounding happy and positive.

Old Nov 10th 2023, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Booths supermarkets to ditch self-checkouts in north of England stores
Some people love the speed and efficiency of supermarket self-checkouts. But then there’s the not recognising your bag, the unexpected item in the bagging area, the surprising item on the scale, the point-blank refusal to scan something, the constant coupon confusion, and that’s all before the long – so long – wait to get your alcohol or paracetamol approved.
What? Paracetamol needs approval?
Old Nov 10th 2023, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Only if you're buying more than 3 packs at one time, I've never had to be checked for a single pack.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 2:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Only if you're buying more than 3 packs at one time, I've never had to be checked for a single pack.
How many in three packs?
I vaguely remember Ibuprofen restricted to a 24 pack in Sainsburys while you could get bigger packs of paracetamol.

I just got a pot of paracetamol/acetaminophen 500mg x500 this morning.