Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Originally Posted by Ozwells
Scoobydoo once again you have read my mind and tapped into my thoughts, couldn't put it better myself!! Good on you putting into words what so many of us are thinking. I haven't even told the people we know here we are going, they are also in the 'We love Australia' gang and I know there response would be 'give it longer' 'stay for citizenship', etc same old boring conversations. A week before we go we will drop the bombshell....that'll make an interesting BBQ!!!
At the end of the day, nobody can hold a gun to your head and say "YOU WILL LIKE AUSTRALIA. YOU WILL LIVE HERE HAPPILY". It either works for you, or it doesn't and I applaud everyone on this list for making the decision to move and the even harder one of deciding to return. But please don't slight those that do like Oz - they're not mad because they like it here - for the same reasons it doesn't work for *you* - it does work for *them*. Viva la difference.

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
At the end of the day, nobody can hold a gun to your head and say "YOU WILL LIKE AUSTRALIA. YOU WILL LIVE HERE HAPPILY". It either works for you, or it doesn't and I applaud everyone on this list for making the decision to move and the even harder one of deciding to return. But please don't slight those that do like Oz - they're not mad because they like it here - for the same reasons it doesn't work for *you* - it does work for *them*. Viva la difference.

Yes, and the exact same can be said for those who like living in the UK. Just because it's not the place for you doesn't mean that anyone else who does choose to live there is stuck in some disney-esque fantasy land, as you have suggested so many times, with no grip on reality. We don't all see the UK through the same shit-smeared spectacles as you. .
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:26 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope I get the chance to live there and try it Hutch.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

dobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Diane have sent you an email
juliet
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:14 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Yes, and the exact same can be said for those who like living in the UK. Just because it's not the place for you doesn't mean that anyone else who does choose to live there is stuck in some disney-esque fantasy land, as you have suggested so many times, with no grip on reality. We don't all see the UK through the same shit-smeared spectacles as you. .
Interesting what you say, though it has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I've ever said - but then I'm used to you misrepresenting plainly stated opinion. All I pointed out is that some of the things people mention on this site (snowy walks to the pub in wellies to sit in front of roaring fires etc) are Disney-like and have very little bearing on 'real life' in the UK. And whilst I understand the homesickness that leads to such feelings (having lived abroad extensively), the sort of Mary Poppins experience as evidenced in post #96 are bonkers.Tell you what, I'll take my 'shit-smeared spectacles' off, if you remove your rose-tinted telescope from your arse. Deal?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I just hope I get the chance to live there and try it Hutch.
You will Sam.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

OMG

Most of the stuff written on this forum seems far less than romantic, writings about marriage breakups, families being split on 2 sides of the world, financial troubles that see people go back years, descripitons of raw empty feelings of loss or just the realisation that really their 'dream life' just evolved into the day to day life in another country with all the same problems at home. Romantic

There are far better forums than this one for a dose of Mills and Boon or the Barbara Cartlands
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice

Originally Posted by kendodd
Well, what I would say about the "time issue" is that there have been 1 or 2 people turn up here homesick, but for them it has passed on and they have changed their minds....... so it CAN happen for some.... but not for all.

So, whilst I wouldn't have agreed a year a ago - time can make a difference for some so it is worth sticking it out. It depends how well you know "yourself" - if you know what I mean.........

The agony of last year for me was the homesickness and the emptiness and a desperate longing to go home. That has got a bit better now, but I know myself well enough now to know I'll be going home at some point in the future and to just "enjoy" for now - however hard that is.......
I have just read this post and think it is the same for us. I am not sure what I want but my husband doesnt stop harping on about how much he hates Australia and wants to return to the UK. He seems to forget he wasnt that enamoured with it when he was there. I have been back twice since 2003 to work for short stints and it isnt getting any better. Maybe its the job I do (Psych Nurse) but England isnt England anymore and we have to be so PC its painful. The political situation and religious unrest did it for me. I appreciate that Australia has "issues" and that terrorists are everywhere but maybe its watered down here as its such a big country with less people. I still think of the seasons and do the pink tinted thing, I still talk on msn to my old mates almost daily and we still have a house there as my OH refused to sell "just in case". I would like to buy here and put down some roots as two of my adult kids love it and are at Uni saying they would never go back. At the moment I count my blessings and try to enjoy my life. I have made some good mates here and am getting used to limbo land.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:59 am
Stuck in time!

Ozwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant future

Exactly Hutch, and that is what makes the world go around! Thank god for difference of opinion eh! I don't 'dis' Australia, I think it is a beautiful country, with plenty to offer, but unfortunately it just doesn't do it for me. I'm pleased for people who have made the move and love it here, I wish I did, would be a lot cheaper to stay than go!! Good for you that it has worked, I wish you all the best with your life here. It's just nice for those of us that don't feel settled to have somewhere where we can air our views and people second it, rather than thinking we are some strange species because we want to go back to the UK! This forum makes you feel that you are not alone!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:04 am
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting what you say, though it has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I've ever said - but then I'm used to you misrepresenting plainly stated opinion. All I pointed out is that some of the things people mention on this site (snowy walks to the pub in wellies to sit in front of roaring fires etc) are Disney-like and have very little bearing on 'real life' in the UK. And whilst I understand the homesickness that leads to such feelings (having lived abroad extensively), the sort of Mary Poppins experience as evidenced in post #96 are bonkers.Tell you what, I'll take my 'shit-smeared spectacles' off, if you remove your rose-tinted telescope from your arse. Deal?
I think that most people who have come from the UK, have "lived" in the uk, which means paying taxes, bills,housing costs,petrol etcetc. This is not disney like, rather 'real life'. Yes I have been to disney land on holiday, but this bears no real resemblance to real life either. I dont feel homesick as you describe it either. Personally, I did the whole visa application myself and that was hard work, so I dont see life through rose tinted disney specs, I dont have any. I just have to get on with the harsh facts faced before me, which are that for me, the cost of living here is much higher than the UK. I dont want to work for the next 20 years of my life in a job I hate, in a country I dont like living in, and paying a interest on a mortgage which is leaving me with no quality of life. Where does rose tinted spectacles come into that. Yes I do like the life in the UK, but having been here only six months, I am still aware of the real life people live in the UK, as I have done for over 40 years.

I think its great for those who like it here, I dont bear any grudges at all. If you have a good life and enjoy it, why should people criticise you for it. No one on this thread wants to critisise you, however you have to bear in mind that this is a forum for people wanting to return home - I just wondered what your motives where to add to this thread in the first place?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

It has a lot to do with what you have said. You have openly ridiculed the memories, aspirations and perceptions of those living in, or wanting to return to, the UK, and yet here you are asking the people on this forum to respect you and your decision to live in Australia. It doesn't really add up!!

Your anti-UK sentiments IMO rank amongst the bitterest I have read on the Oz forum, and whilst you are more than entitled to your opinion about this "godforsaken country" as you describe it, why come on the "Moving to the UK" forum and tell people their thoughts of the UK are unrealistic and have no bearing on real life? How do you know what's "real" for us? We all live different lives, we all have different aspirations and needs.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:30 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

... after some thought? *ducks for cover*
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Hi we've been back in the UK 5 months I've loved everyday of being back, some of the days have been harder than others but i wouldn't have wanted it any other way because we've had to fight for what we've got its made us appreciate it all the more
I have realised that i would rather be back home than anywhere else in the world.
yes the UK has problems so does every other country on the planet.
There's one good thing that came out of us moving to another country its made us realise what we had in the first place wasn't so bad.
So anyone embarking on a move back to the UK its not really as bad as some people would like you to believe.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shelly1
Hi we've been back in the UK 5 months I've loved everyday of being back, some of the days have been harder than others but i wouldn't have wanted it any other way because we've had to fight for what we've got its made us appreciate it all the more
I have realised that i would rather be back home than anywhere else in the world.
yes the UK has problems so does every other country on the planet.
There's one good thing that came out of us moving to another country its made us realise what we had in the first place wasn't so bad.
So anyone embarking on a move back to the UK its not really as bad as some people would like you to believe.
well said Shelley1.I think that of course there are "aspects "that drew us to our chosen destinations to work,try something else or have a midlife "whatever",and I truly think that many people that do it have have
1. Too cushy a life in UK,that it seems like a good idea at the time and you kind of wander into it ,or
2) A bit of a risk,that when the papers come and planes booked & jobs resigned you wonder in part if its a good idea??!!
3) OR have such a crap carry-on in UK that it seems a bit of an escape route
Whatever the motivations,only you and your family just KNOW when youve outgrown it and its time to move back,it just has to be a team decision.
Im pleased I found this site its such a good read-
UK is a great country & its good to be positive about it!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Part of the answer to your first question is that the popular media put so much effort sending out the message "UK bad, Oz good ... UK bad, Oz good ...."

(That is part tongue in cheek, but also largely serious).

I hear what you are saying in your second part, but I'm not sure many of these things are really the reasons why people are leaving Oz. I read posts from a lot of people who went there because they had this image of Oz (and of the UK, see comment on popular media), and did not realize until they got there that Oz won't solve the problems you preceived you had in the UK. Plus, they weren't prepared for the heartwrenching effect of being so far from parents, grandparents, and friends. Once you decide you want to return, you focus on the bad things about where you are and the good things about where you want to be - it's human nature. Whingeing about Oz is a protective mechanism, bit like whingeing about Poms.

And as for the comments about the heritage of Oz, remember that convicts are a lot tougher than the average person, back then their life really WAS crap in the UK, and they had no choice. Put all of those things together and it's not hard to see why they stayed.
have to admit, think you'll find that he was talking about migrants since the Second World war and not necessarily convicts 150-200 years ago. Many British people who migrated in the 60s and 70s do seem to have done quite well here.

By saying that people focus on the bad things, well everyone is guilty of that, aren't they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.