Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Hey Quoll, want something to do on Sunday?

Hey Quoll, want something to do on Sunday?

Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hey Quoll, want something to do on Sunday?

A once in a lifetime opportunity to see me glide across the course all svelte and cheetah like. err, hang on, that's everyone else.

http://www.canberrahalf.com/default.asp?PageID=759

Going to be pretty tough as I've already sent my wetsuit to the UK and my shoulder is tracking about as straight as a ladyboy night at Kings Cross. So the swim will be a riot

Tore a calf muscle 3 weeks ago and was ordered on the RICE merry go round from the physio. Test run for 30 mins yesterday went 'ok'.

Normally I'd pull out but this will be my last tri in Oz and I didn't even expect to be doing this one (hence the MIA wetsuit). But it will be a good chance to see everyone and say goodbye to those that aren't doing the Alpine bike race in Vic in Jan.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hey Quoll, want something to do on Sunday?

He'll be swimming in circles, poor beggar.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think I could come and cheer you on! You will need your wetsuit though LBG is bloody cold. The DS did the swim for a team in the teams events in December one year in his bathers and even he said it was bloody freezing (dont know what one that was but it had 3 swims, 3 bikes and 3 runs as a team - some silly devils did it all!)

May I say that I think you are totally bonkers but, hey, whatever challenges you!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I think I could come and cheer you on! You will need your wetsuit though LBG is bloody cold. The DS did the swim for a team in the teams events in December one year in his bathers and even he said it was bloody freezing (dont know what one that was but it had 3 swims, 3 bikes and 3 runs as a team - some silly devils did it all!)

May I say that I think you are totally bonkers but, hey, whatever challenges you!
That's the Sri Chimnoy Triple Challenge, it's a tough race. A friend always did it solo. I think it's gone now though.

No wetsuit won't be an issue temp wise for me but will affect my time by a few mins. I don't think my shoulder could handle the strain of a wetsuit at the moment anyway.

Half IMs aren't bonkers, full iron distance are bonkers (which is 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42KM run) and I've just entered one in the UK called The Outlaw in Nottingham (Holme Pierpoint?) on Aug 8th. It's a new race and I'm really looking fwd to it.

I'm not sure if a doublet and hose is necessary
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:58 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I've just entered one in the UK called The Outlaw in Nottingham (Holme Pierpoint?) on Aug 8th. It's a new race and I'm really looking fwd to it.

I'm not sure if a doublet and hose is necessary
I think they should add tree climbing and archery!

Good luck in the race. I think you're bonkers, too, but I hope you have fun.

Bev
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well after a week of flying to Melb and back and a heavy workload down there and rushing back Thurs night into a political sh1tstorm at work, I've managed to pick up a bad sore throat. I'll still head down to Canberra later this morning but unless it gets better between now and race start I'll be a DNS (Did Not Start).

That'll be my first ever DNS.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Well after a week of flying to Melb and back and a heavy workload down there and rushing back Thurs night into a political sh1tstorm at work, I've managed to pick up a bad sore throat. I'll still head down to Canberra later this morning but unless it gets better between now and race start I'll be a DNS (Did Not Start).

That'll be my first ever DNS.
Aw, no good! Hope you feel better though, it may be a good day to do it - somewhere between 28 and 30 with some cloud according to my weather widget.

We are going to have the family here overnight so if they head off early as they may have to I might pop down to the lake to see what is going on - are they starting at Yarralumla Bay as usual? I did the beginners Tri from there almost 2 decades ago!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
Aw, no good! Hope you feel better though, it may be a good day to do it - somewhere between 28 and 30 with some cloud according to my weather widget.

We are going to have the family here overnight so if they head off early as they may have to I might pop down to the lake to see what is going on - are they starting at Yarralumla Bay as usual? I did the beginners Tri from there almost 2 decades ago!
Quoll, they start from Commonwealth Park. That tri you describe sounds like the SC race series.

Anyway, sorry to say it was a DNS for me. We went down and set up and I was actually feeling not too bad yesterday afternoon but we went out for dinner last night at an Italian place and had to wait over an hour for our food and I could feel the energy draining away.

Spent all night coughing my guts up with a migraine. Turned in my timing chip at 5am, collected my bike and we drove home.

First DNS in 10yrs of racing Ultimately was the right thing to do. Feeling rotten still, getting worse if anything.

Not to mention the $500 wasted.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah sorry about that! I do hope you feel better in time for Christmas! The Commonwealth Park start is where they used to do the triple tri from, afaik the Sri Chimnoys used Yarralumla Bay. I didnt get down there as I was sort of baby sitting - the family didnt head off until mid-day but son and DH went to the market quite early and said there were bikers all over the place going in all sorts of directions.

Hope Nottingham (in doublet and hose) will be more successful!