Future of the NHS

Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future of the NHS

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If it's cutting or refusing services to people who are 'to blame' for their condition we're talking about, then please include:

People who don't maintain good oral hygiene and subsequently require dental treatment. They should have known better.
We don't get free dentist treatment on the NHS. We pay for our dentist treament by NHS bands. The more extensive treatment we need, the more we pay. Some treatment isn't covered by the NHS bands, so we pay privately for that.

So yes, the people who eat/drink lots sugary food or/and smoke, increase their risk of gum disease and tooth decay and have to pay more at an NHS dentist. They also have to pay for any dental treatment that isn't covered by the NHS.

Last edited by formula; Dec 11th 2014 at 5:19 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Lot of talk about the burden smokers and obese people put on the NHS.

If it's cutting or refusing services to people who are 'to blame' for their condition we're talking about, then please include:

People who have had a few too many drinks, and subsequently do something stupid and injure themselves. They should have known better.

People who don't take the full course of antibiotics prescribed by their GP, and subsequently require further medical care. They should have known better.

People who develop high cholesterol due to eating too much of the wrong thing, although they're not obese. They should have known better.

People who don't maintain good oral hygiene and subsequently require dental treatment. They should have known better.

People who have an increased genetic risk of having a child with a disability, and subsequently give birth to a child with a disability. They should have known better.

People who have acquired the HIV virus, by whatever method of transmission. They should have known better.

Every bloody person who doesn't rigidly obey every bloody 'rule' about what they should and shouldn't do, and instead just live their lives as best they can, according to their level of intelligence, education and experience. Because, of course, all those people should have known better.

By all means explore ways to reduce NHS spending (although you pay people a hell of a lot of money to do just that). For my money, demonizing particular groups isn't the way to do it.
Quite.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
We don't get free dentist treatment on the NHS. We pay for our dentist treament by NHS bands. The more extensive treatment we need, the more we pay. Some treatment isn't covered by the NHS bands, so we pay privately for that. So yes, the people who don't have good oral hygiene, have to pay more.
What exactly is your point? Nobody is disputing that some aspects of healthcare treatment are not covered by the NHS. Examples abound. Are you suggesting because of that, we need not concern ourselves with policy changes that move even larger and more significant areas of healthcare into the private sector? Are you arguing for a smaller NHS, for example?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What exactly is your point?
In the example of mine you quoted, I was pointing our that the obese and smokers already pay more for their NHS dental treatment.

The obese and smokers aren't going to like having further free NHS restrictions put on them, but at least you choose to put unhealthy things in your mouth. Elderly who have paid into the UK all their working lives, miss out on free NHS too and they don't choose to get old.

Originally Posted by Shard
Are you arguing for a smaller NHS, for example?
Interestingly, the British national health service is the 4th largest employer in the world. Is use to be the third until Walmart bought out Asda. A tiny island employing that many; I think there is room for some middle management fat trimming.

Last edited by formula; Dec 11th 2014 at 5:53 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

In the example of mine you quoted, I was pointing our that the obese and smokers already pay more for their NHS dental treatment.

The obese and smokers aren't going to like having further free NHS restrictions put on them, but at least you choose to put unhealthy things in your mouth. Elderly who have paid into the UK all their working lives, miss out on free NHS too and they don't choose to get old.

Interestingly, the British national health service is the 4th largest employer in the world. Is use to be the third until Walmart bought out Asda. A tiny island employing that many; I think there is room for some middle management fat trimming.
In what way do 'elderly miss out on free NHS'?

Divide and rule is the best way to break the whole thing up. Then that bit you are guarding for yourself will be gone too.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
In what way do 'elderly miss out on free NHS'?
Read this thread or google.

Divide and rule is the best way to break the whole thing up. Then that bit you are guarding for yourself will be gone too.
Does this mean that you have finally realised that the NHS doesn't pay for everything?
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Read this thread or google.

Does this mean that you have finally realised that the NHS doesn't pay for everything?
I don't know what you're talking about. In fact I think you're slightly mad.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:54 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Dec 11th 2014, 11:36 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Healthy workers create demand and pay taxes. Those that are disabled (or die) create less demand. The more unhealthy workers we have (for example, due to premature death or disability due to smoking) the less demand there will be in the economy. Your claim was that smoking would only cause a decrease in GDP if there were full employment. That is clearly erroneous. Demand in an economy is not a static thing and an unheathly population will tend to reduce it due to lost productivity.
The more unhealthy workers we have (for example, due to premature death or disability due to smoking)
I'm sorry to give you the bad news, but despite Spike Milligan's tombstone reading "I told you I was ill", a dead worker is not 'unhealthy'. A dead worker is a non existent worker.

You have forgotten that we are not debating the lost productivity due to sickness caused by smoking. Your think-tank gave a separate figure for the loss of productivity caused by ill health:

Lost productivity due to the deaths of smokers and passive smoking victims costs £4.8 billion and £2.9 billion is lost in increased absenteeism
It was the figure for premature death I questioned.

"No, you really haven't. So I will state again "the closer life expectancy is reduced to retirement age, the more productivity will be lost through death or disability in years that otherwise would be productive and tax-paying."
See above. Disability irrelevant to discussion. Dead = doesn't exist. I agree that a non-existent worker is an unproductive worker. If my childhood imaginary friend Dalion, who lived in Sherwood Forest and was friends with Robin Hood, actually existed, I'm sure he'd nowadays be a fine upstanding chartered accountant and paying his taxes.

How does the lump of labour fallacy apply to all this? I do not assume there is a lump of labour, but by factoring in loss of productivity caused by death, it seems to me the think-tank is engaging in a lump of labourers fallacy.

I guess you missed the "I agree" part of my reply :confused
. Fair enough, but relevance of rest of paragraph?

Also note that people who are prematurely disabled due to smoking ailments will have a larger call on public resources such as disability payments in earlier years. So whilst it is true that those that die early will make less demand on the public purse for things such as pensions, you have to factor in their earlier calls on said purse.
See above -- disability/death not the same thing.

Incidentally, I'm disputing the think-tanks' logic, but I also question the figures. I looked it up: Around 10,000 people die prematurely from smoking each year, before the age of 65, who would not have died prematurely anyway. On the think-tank's figures each individual death is responsible for the loss of £480 million in productivity.

As I said it is a nonsense figure.

Sorry about the crap editing on this. Pst my bedtime.

Last edited by Editha; Dec 11th 2014 at 11:39 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is largely unintelligible - hence I haven't quoted it - but you seem to be basing it on false logic anyway.

The £2.9 billion is the number for increased absenteeism whilst working. It is not a figure for productivity loss for premature disability (i.e. an inability to work) before death. Here are a couple of other studies that peg large figures for increased absenteeism of smoking employees:

Smoking employees cost $6,000 a year more, study finds - NBC News

http://www.ohscanada.com/health-safe...ys/1002712796/

Note that both studies are focused on absenteeism of employees, not on disability.

Here's the complete Policy Exchange report. Not sure why you called it my think-tank seeing it was formula that posted the link to the article about it:

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...march%2010.pdf

Here's their rationale behind their figures for the cost of smokers dying early:

Loss of productive output

A loss of output refers to the loss of economic activity that is caused by smokers of working age dying early.
We use the human capital approach24 to calculate the expected life time output that would have been
realised had each death caused by smoking been avoided. Using this methodology we calculate the loss of
productivity to cost £4.1 billion.
In other words, this figure includes the loss of economic output due to any disability prior to death in addition to death itself. Some more explanation:

... places a monetary value on loss of health as the lost value of economic productivity due to ill health, disability or premature mortality.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Oe...bility&f=false

The one thing that I would question about the report is whether there is overlap between "absenteeism" and the "ill health" component of the human capital approach. However, the two reports on absenteeism that I linked to seem to point the finger at smoking breaks.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 12th 2014 at 12:48 am.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:24 am
Yo

+2
Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

+3
Old Dec 12th 2014, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

One guy in our office smokes. He's got the lowest absenteeism in the whole office and always has done in the nearly 21 years I've worked here. He's 44 now though obviously it may be he gets ill when he's older.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get free dentist treatment on the NHS. We pay for our dentist treament by NHS bands. The more extensive treatment we need, the more we pay. Some treatment isn't covered by the NHS bands, so we pay privately for that.

So yes, the people who eat/drink lots sugary food or/and smoke, increase their risk of gum disease and tooth decay and have to pay more at an NHS dentist. They also have to pay for any dental treatment that isn't covered by the NHS.
I know about the bands for dental treatment, Formula. Yes, you pay, but you don't pay the true costs - the service is subsidized by the NHS.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you really that stupid that you don't realise people can look back on your posts Not that I forgot that what you claimed because we (in the office) couldn't stop laughing when we read it.

Last edited by formula; Dec 21st 2014 at 10:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.