Future of the NHS

Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future of the NHS

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Musing on this, as you do late at night, I think I was right with my initial hesitancy to join in the MBTTUK forum. As I said on the 'over 40s' thread, I'm a bit of an interloper in that I'm not 'moving back', I'm just moving.

Any issues/thoughts/questions I have are going to be different to those of British citizens moving back, and my thoughts on accessing the NHS are an example of this.

I think you were a bit harsh with your descriptions of me Editha, but again that's probably just a consequence of me being the proverbial square peg. So I'll scuttle back in me box, and hope that my preciousness, perverseness and silliness will nick off before I emigrate - otherwise I might have a hard time of it.
Beth, you have every right to be in this forum - just as much right as those of us who are "moving back".

Please stay.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Musing on this, as you do late at night, I think I was right with my initial hesitancy to join in the MBTTUK forum. As I said on the 'over 40s' thread, I'm a bit of an interloper in that I'm not 'moving back', I'm just moving.

Any issues/thoughts/questions I have are going to be different to those of British citizens moving back, and my thoughts on accessing the NHS are an example of this.

I think you were a bit harsh with your descriptions of me Editha, but again that's probably just a consequence of me being the proverbial square peg. So I'll scuttle back in me box, and hope that my preciousness, perverseness and silliness will nick off before I emigrate - otherwise I might have a hard time of it.
Don't be daft! Brits love to insult eachother and then have a pint together 'Silly' isn't even on the scale.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

SOS, please don't scuttle back into your box! I am sure others will agree with me that you are a valuable member of this forum and this thread. Different views and opinions are what make for lively discussion.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Regardless of the results of the consultation, I'm not aware of any proposals to bring in charges for British Citizens. I'd be interested in where you read this.

The Immigration Act 2014 has received royal assent and can no longer be amended. It contains no provision which would allow charging of British Citizens, so that would require fresh legislation. There was nothing about it in the Queen's Speech either so it isn't going to happen during this Parliament, which means not before the next General Election.
Been all over this before on michali's thread ref the NHS.

The British Citizens are expat British Citizens - not ordinarily resident ones.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nsultation.pdf

items 98 and 99 on page 24. Jury is still OUT.

NB - It wasn't charging before, it was NOT charging when in fact they should have been charged.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 17th 2014 at 8:28 pm. Reason: NB - It wasn't charging, it was NOT charging when in fact they should have been charged.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You're not a square peg and don't let one person's comments stop you from posting. Remember Editha said IMO (in my opinion) and that's what the comments were...her opinion. So don't be put off...do stay.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 17th 2014 at 6:51 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
SOS, please don't scuttle back into your box! I am sure others will agree with me that you are a valuable member of this forum and this thread. Different views and opinions are what make for lively discussion.
I agree. Beth has been a great person in the forums and, for one, sincerely hope she stays.

PLEASE!!!!!!
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did people here see this?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did people here see this?
Good to see.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good to see.
I was checking the cost of prescriptions yesterday. £8 each and if you need more than one regularly it need only cost an extra 60p or so with a pre-payment cert.

On top of that I remember reading that most prescriptions (not most people) are free anyway.

In Canada there's no subsidy on prescriptions outside of hospital.

So how the hell does Canada spend 50% more per head than the UK? Where's it all going?

And if that £2k per head includes NHS dentistry as well, it's even more astonishing.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 18th 2014 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was checking the cost of prescriptions yesterday. £8 each and if you need more than one regularly it need only cost an extra 60p or so with a pre-payment cert.

On top of that I remember reading that most prescriptions (not most people) are free anyway.

In Canada there's no subsidy on prescriptions outside of hospital.

So how the hell does Canada spend 50% more per head than the UK? Where's it all going?

And if that £2k per head includes NHS dentistry as well, it's even more astonishing.
I think some of the savings come because the NHS has less billing paperwork , and can bulk negotiate the price of drugs down because of its size, just guessing though.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the savings come because the NHS has less billing paperwork , and can bulk negotiate the price of drugs down because of its size, just guessing though.
I don't know about Canada but the US spends 4to 5% of its GDP on health care administration.

The argument I hear in the US is that it subsidises the cost of drugs for the rest of the world and that others are leeching off drug research done in the US. My response is "more fool it". Medicare - healthcare for the over 65's - is actually banned from negotiating drug discounts. How stupid is that?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't know about Canada but the US spends 4to 5% of its GDP on health care administration.

The argument I hear in the US is that it subsidises the cost of drugs for the rest of the world and that others are leeching off drug research done in the US. My response is "more fool it". Medicare - healthcare for the over 65's - is actually banned from negotiating drug discounts. How stupid is that?
9 years and I still cannot get my head around the protectionism here.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:11 pm
Oscar nominated

I'm sure admin is a big part of it. I recall reading that DSS (old name) always had low admin costs in relation to benefits paid out.
I'll bet the same cannot be said of DWP these days!!

But the drugs thing really gets me. Employers employ staff to administer the benefits packages for employees. Insurance companies have a prescriptions wing. Pharmacies have an involvement. There's stuff goes between employer, insurers,pharmacies and doctors.

And if someone uses Province schemes there's a whole other layer.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 3:47 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

NHS Provides the 'Best Healthcare in World', says Commonwealth Fund Report

Its a bit hard to disagree although I am sure some will
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
NHS Provides the 'Best Healthcare in World', says Commonwealth Fund Report

Its a bit hard to disagree although I am sure some will
Why is it a bit hard to disagree?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.