Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Education, Debt and Work Benefits in America

Education, Debt and Work Benefits in America

Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education, Debt and Work Benefits in America

"Sick days" is a safety net, not an entitlement to ensure it is used up every year.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
I have never understood people that get given vacation and are scared to use it?

I had 8 sick days when I was in San Francisco per year. So I used them. My boss got annoyed about me using them.
I told him that if you don't want me taking off days sick....then don't give me paid sick days to use. Same goes or vacation allowance. It's just stupid.

It's like buying a car for my wife and then getting annoyed every time she drives it. It's total BS.

I loved standing up to my boss and pointing out the obvious, of which he cannot argue against.
I think what you consider to be obvious is unrelated to employment law regarding the purpose of sick leave. I'm sure your colleagues appreciated taking up the slack during your "sickies".
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui

Dunroving: Sounds as though you want to move back to the US.
Well, I have been tryi ng for a while, with varying success, but in the meantime making the most of things here. Nowhere is perfect, including the US.

There'll eventually come a time when, if I haven't found a suitable position in the US, I'll probably look for a permanent move down to England.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, I have been tryi ng for a while, with varying success, but in the meantime making the most of things here. Nowhere is perfect, including the US.

There'll eventually come a time when, if I haven't found a suitable position in the US, I'll probably look for a permanent move down to England.
Well I wish you the best in finding the best solution for you. Just think, if you move back to the US, you can be part of the revolution.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:46 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by bandrui
Well I wish you the best in finding the best solution for you. Just think, if you move back to the US, you can be part of the revolution.
Or I could join the ranks of the ping-pongers crying to come back.

(The thought had crossed my mind - seen it so many times, and we never, never know what it will be like until we are living it). I'll be very careful before I move again, I tell you.

I'm also being more picky (select few universities in the southeast) - when there's so much on the line, there's no point compromising or taking too much of a chance. If I end up stuck here, I'll try to work in some scholar visits and other ways to get my US "fix"
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Or I could join the ranks of the ping-pongers crying to come back.

(The thought had crossed my mind - seen it so many times, and we never, never know what it will be like until we are living it). I'll be very careful before I move again, I tell you.

I'm also being more picky (select few universities in the southeast) - when there's so much on the line, there's no point compromising or taking too much of a chance. If I end up stuck here, I'll try to work in some scholar visits and other ways to get my US "fix"
Just wondering - why are you limiting yourself to looking only in the South East US?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
"Sick days" is a safety net, not an entitlement to ensure it is used up every year.
Yes, but people get sick with a cold or the flu all the time and are still expected to work through it, even if they have sick days...all very annoying as everyone then gets sick.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:38 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Just wondering - why are you limiting yourself to looking only in the South East US?
Sorry, I missed your question and just came across it.

It's a comfort zone thing, really. I know the region well, and it's pretty huge (so not as if I'm restricting myself to one city), plus I really enjoy the culture, climate, and way of life in the Southeast, plus it's more accessible to UK flights than the midwest and west. From a professional perspective also, I am pretty well known in that region and know most of the major professional players in the Southeast (so attending regional conferences is a bit like an annual reunion, whereas in other regions I would have less of an established professional "family").

I think that about sums it up.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I missed your question and just came across it.

It's a comfort zone thing, really. I know the region well, and it's pretty huge (so not as if I'm restricting myself to one city), plus I really enjoy the culture, climate, and way of life in the Southeast, plus it's more accessible to UK flights than the midwest and west. From a professional perspective also, I am pretty well known in that region and know most of the major professional players in the Southeast (so attending regional conferences is a bit like an annual reunion, whereas in other regions I would have less of an established professional "family").

I think that about sums it up.
Okay so it's not just the weather!!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:48 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Okay so it's not just the weather!!
Oh yes, and the weather!

Employment seems to be drying up a little (I'm surprised it's taken this long) - much more job ads are for entry-level, and it's simply not worth it or feasible for me to take that big a salary hit. In the right place and position, I'd take a reasonable drop in return for the quality of life and professional satisfaction, but I'm becoming more sanguine about the whole thing - if it doesn't work out, que sera. Maybe I can work out an exchange or two before I retire...