Dyslexia or Illiteracy

Old Oct 29th 2019, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dyslexia or Illiteracy

The label may depend on who you are, where you live and your background - https://www.tes.com/news/dyslexia-mi...Q5S70133Qb3obU

There are worse examples. Dyspraxia for the middle-class, clumsy for the poorer folk. The craziest is Oppositional Defiance Disorder meaning, "He won't do as he's told".

Old Oct 29th 2019, 10:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dyslexia or Illiteracy

Interesting . In the past Asperger was also labelled a middle class issue and the reason for that I suppose is only those with money could afford the private evaluations . Those relying on the NHS and Educational services would have found themselves in a bit of a backwater because of concerns over funding and the like. Many may have ended up being seen as EBD.

My husband is dyslexic. Utterly dyslexic. He loves words but the shapes of words just don't compute in his mind. He was born on a rough Mildands council estate so certainly not middle class. He was thought of and told he was basically thick. He isn't. ( IQ around 120/125 FWIW ) Sent out to the sports pitch for English lessons or bunked away fromthe lesson and humiliation. Fell behind with maths because the words became problematic.

His dyslexia was not tested and diagnosed until his early thirties. He then had private remedial lessons with a professor and teacher - read that as defo middle class - whose two sons at uni were dyslexic. That approach opened up a world. It was multi-sensory approach and one that we still now use together when himself needs to learn a new manual or do an upskill course.

Old Nov 8th 2019, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The labels that we use to put people into tidy categories change over time. In my youth, no one talked about "autistic", or "bipolar".
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The labels that we use to put people into tidy categories change over time. In my youth, no one talked about "autistic", or "bipolar".
And that's the beauty of medical science, conditions can now be diagnosed and treated now whereas previously in many instances people were just labelled 'stupid' or 'crazy', with all the adverse effects on their lives such a label has.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The craziest is Oppositional Defiance Disorder meaning, "He won't do as he's told".
There's far more to it than that.

Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposi...fiant_disorder

i do not think anyone has THE answer. I am aware that we should be on guard against BS
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:39 pm
Concierge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposi...fiant_disorder

i do not think anyone has THE answer. I am aware that we should be on guard against BS
I know what ODD is thanks. Not sure what you mean about no one has the answer, what answer are you looking for?
Old Nov 9th 2019, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The answer to what is wrong with rebellious adolescents. Should we pump them full of psychoactive drugs, or just "let it be" ?
Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
My husband is dyslexic. Utterly dyslexic. He loves words but the shapes of words just don't compute in his mind. He was born on a rough Mildands council estate so certainly not middle class. He was thought of and told he was basically thick. He isn't. ( IQ around 120/125 FWIW ) Sent out to the sports pitch for English lessons or bunked away fromthe lesson and humiliation. Fell behind with maths because the words became problematic.

His dyslexia was not tested and diagnosed until his early thirties. He then had private remedial lessons with a professor and teacher - read that as defo middle class - whose two sons at uni were dyslexic. That approach opened up a world. It was multi-sensory approach and one that we still now use together when himself needs to learn a new manual or do an upskill course.
I'm glad those remedial lessons worked. Dyslexia can indeed be overcome. My son was diagnosed at age 18, just before A-levels. I had pressed his school (a boarding school in England) to have him tested, so when his test-results came, he phoned me: "Good news and bad news, Dad. The bad news is that I am dyslexic; the good news is that I get extra time for my exams!"

He too had been regarded as thick at his primary school here on the Island, always in trouble for not paying attention. He bluffed his way through to some degree, by having a good memory. We had his eyes tested time and again, on the supposition that his reading-problem must lie there. The word "dyslexia" was never mentioned until that testing in Birmingham in 1993.

He never had remedial lessons, but by sheer grit (and that good memory) shook the dyslexia off. BEVS's husband will know what I mean. Now, he reads voraciously and writes perfectly in English and acceptably in Spanish and Norwegian. So it's important for any dyslexics out there to know that it can be fixed in many cases. It need not always be a lifetime disability.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

BEVS. I wonder if the OP and you would mind moving this thread to the Lounge section. There must be a lot of people interested in the topic but don't look for it here.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 8:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
BEVS. I wonder if the OP and you would mind moving this thread to the Lounge section. There must be a lot of people interested in the topic but don't look for it here.
A good idea.
I will do if Scot47 agrees.