Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

DVLA Residency Rule (EEC Directive 1997)

DVLA Residency Rule (EEC Directive 1997)

Old Nov 16th 2017, 9:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVLA Residency Rule (EEC Directive 1997)

Originally Posted by feelbritish
OP is being unrealistic and blaming EU for nothing. As for NHS being responsible that must be a troll as I do not see what they have to do with driving licences. I am dual citizen with a Canadian licence living in UK and found out this week that my British Columbian(thats inCanada) licence expires in 2019. Your licence only lasts 10 years and must be renewed in person. To renew I must be a resident. If I do not return for 3 years after that date it becomes obsolete and I will have to do another test if I ever return. I cannot swop out my British driver's licence. All countries have rules. Wether you think them fair or not we just have to deal with it!
His UK license was revoked on medical reasons, which he says was a misdiagnosis, so that is why he is blaming the NHS, so he didn't have a UK license to swap for one where he is, in fact he couldn't have swapped it in any case.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed with the other posters.

Obtaining a drivers license (sic) in a US state as an immigrant who presently holds no driving licences at all
is barely more arduous than as an immigrant who can presently drive on a foreign licence/license.
So the OP should just go through the Tennessee(?) process as a new driver.

And deal with the UK licence if/when he has an actual need to drive in the UK.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

I will hold a permit and pass a practical test, I was cleared to drive only a few weeks ago.

Yes the NHS had everything to do with my licence being revoked in 2010 before I had any plans of moving. I went through THREE court tribunals to access unemployment because I was told to leave my position due to my condition. I didn't do an employment tribunal, I had the DWP to fight so I didn't loose my home.

The whole moving away from Britain thing was extremely well silver lined ... However I will fight for my rights and I don't believe I should be locked out of a DVLA process to restore my privilege to drive in my own home nation, while being registered on the Electorial Register there ... Which is more than some born citizens of Britain can claim to have.

I am of course venting about the EEC 1997 Directive that is screwing us all over here. I hope to raise the issue with my local MP and have it discussed as part of Brexit that British Nationals should have a route to maintaining thier records with the DVLA.

Like I said previously ... I am allowed to pay my student loan and keep my voter registration current. While my case is very specific every single expat is facing the same issue with the residency rule.

Either an alternative form to D1 for expats could be processed or an exception made in D1 for British Nationals.

I'm am blaming the EU because that's not something Britain has done to us. I am blaming the NHS because they had my licence revoked on a misdiagnosis. Lastly had I not moved abroad I may have been treated wrongly for decades for a condition I don't have. So yes, the NHS has to take some flack there.

I don't wish to drive in America on my GB state licence. Missing the point. I don't wish to return home maybe aged 45 to have to get a medical 3 year licence for a condition that was misdiagnosed by a failing healthcare system when I was 28.

I do not see why I should be locked out of starting 7 years of proving a misdiagnosed condition is under control.

Last edited by tennesseestud; Nov 17th 2017 at 5:47 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tennesseestud
However I will fight for my rights and I don't believe I should be locked out of a DVLA process to restore my privilege to drive in my own home nation, while being registered on the Electorial Register there ... Which is more than some born citizens of Britain can claim to have.
You do have the privilege to drive in the UK, namely on the license of the place you are a resident for - Tennessee.

I am of course venting about the EEC 1997 Directive that is screwing us all over here. I hope to raise the issue with my local MP and have it discussed as part of Brexit that British Nationals should have a route to maintaining thier records with the DVLA.
The records are maintained; in fact, I recently looked mine up at the DVLA, despite having been out of the country for 30+ years.

Like I said previously ... I am allowed to pay my student loan and keep my voter registration current. While my case is very specific every single expat is facing the same issue with the residency rule.
It's not an issue. You are eligible for a license in your place of residence and can use it worldwide. If you return to take up residence in the UK, you will be able to apply for a UK license there.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just take a few lessons at a US driving school to get refreshed on all the rules, take your theory and then the practical test? It can barely be more expensive than the paperwork route you are talking about? Sure it's bad luck to have lost your UK licence this way.. but what does it cost these days in the US...$ 10 or something...?
Old Nov 18th 2017, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see why I should be locked out of starting 7 years of proving a misdiagnosed condition is under control.
Because those are the rules in place.

And to clarify, EU regulations are set by the EU. EU Directives are set by each national government within the parameters of the relevant Directive.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Was the mis-diagnosis anger management?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

tennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond reputetennesseestud has a reputation beyond repute

Ok you all are missing the point. I was cleared to drive a few weeks ago. I am almost ready to take the written test, I know more about driving knowledge in this state than the US Citizens around me. That not the issue.

Forget Tennessee. Forget other countries.

The UK (more accurately, the EU) are saying I cannot apply for my revoked licence back because of the residency rule. I have to sign the D1 and admit I am breaking the law ... In order to begin the process the DVLA want me to follow.

It's entrapment.

Because of that my residency in the US now delays the process of being medically assessed by the DVLA.

Aka ... I cannot start the 7 year medical review process. I'm trying to make the case that I've been without the DL for 7 years and that during that time my diagnosis of Narcolepsy has been overturned and the sleep apnea went from severe to mild (almost non existent). During those 7 years I had been medically assessed and treated and 7 years on from the misDX I'm safe to drive.

However on the D1 ... I have to BREAK THE LAW to even have my case processed.

Regardless of left hand drive right hand drive issues, the DVLA are refusing to allow me to interact with them and get my full licence reinstated.

Last edited by tennesseestud; Nov 19th 2017 at 3:53 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
You could not "swap out" a UK driving licence for a TN one even if you had one.
Yes this is not in doubt the title.of the post speaks of the residency rule. I'm not aiming to drive in America on a UK DL though I'm sure many people have.

I have no DL.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Was the mis-diagnosis anger management?
Good one. I mean anyone would be angry ... Being told by the NHS you don't have sleep apnea be pushed onto Ritalin and other controlled substances including Amphetamine only to access a robust healthcare system that calls all of that into question and fixes the problem.

You'd think it would be the other way around, America pushing Amphetamine on you. But nope, I was actually denied access to Amphetamine here and pushed onto CPAP which didn't work. I had to have my nose broken, re-set, flesh scooped out and my tonsils removed as an adult. This fixed it in America ... But during all that I was denied all controlled substances and had to rely on Coffee alone.

The first doctor I went to wanted to have my jaw broken and moved. I didn't go for that as I thought that was too extreme for the situation.

Yeah to be booted out of your job, be denied welfare and have your DL taken away ... All based on a lie ... Yes you'd be angry too.

Nothing to do with America, everything to do with the BS back home.

Last edited by tennesseestud; Nov 19th 2017 at 4:42 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok you all are missing the point. I was cleared to drive a few weeks ago. I am almost ready to take the written test, I know more about driving knowledge in this state than the US Citizens around me. That not the issue.

Forget Tennessee. Forget other countries.

The UK (more accurately, the EU) are saying I cannot apply for my revoked licence back because of the residency rule. I have to sign the D1 and admit I am breaking the law ... In order to begin the process the DVLA want me to follow.

It's entrapment.

Because of that my residency in the US now delays the process of being medically assessed by the DVLA.

Aka ... I cannot start the 7 year medical review process. I'm trying to make the case that I've been without the DL for 7 years and that during that time my diagnosis of Narcolepsy has been overturned and the sleep apnea went from severe to mild (almost non existent). During those 7 years I had been medically assessed and treated and 7 years on from the misDX I'm safe to drive.

However on the D1 ... I have to BREAK THE LAW to even have my case processed.

Regardless of left hand drive right hand drive issues, the DVLA are refusing to allow me to interact with them and get my full licence reinstated.
Are you planning to move back to the UK? If not, why are you worrying about having a UK licence anyway?!
Old Nov 19th 2017, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are you planning to move back to the UK? If not, why are you worrying about having a UK licence anyway?!
Nobody plans. My parents at some point will die or other family might get sick and I might go home for a while. In that case I'd come home and drive on my American licence, if I had one (driving on an American DL, while having UK one revoked).

It's going to take 7 years of sleep studies when I return home ... After already have undergone 7 years of sleep studies aged 30 to 37.

If I came home today ... I wouldn't get my full UK unconditional DL back until the age of 44. If I came home aged 60 ... I'd have to start the process aged 60.

The D1 is saying I can't start the medical screening process unless I break the law and lie about being resident.

Last edited by tennesseestud; Nov 19th 2017 at 4:51 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Like I said. Venting. The DVLA told me to have my mom get the form and send it to me. The DVLA now say not to post it, they can't process the case.

It's the straw on the back of 7 years of crap and when I found the reason is the residency rule it just broke my patience.

My local MP will get a letter, I fight.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:32 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said. Venting. The DVLA told me to have my mom get the form and send it to me. The DVLA now say not to post it, they can't process the case.

It's the straw on the back of 7 years of crap and when I found the reason is the residency rule it just broke my patience.

My local MP will get a letter, I fight.
But you aren't a UK resident, so why should you involve an MP you are not a constituent of?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The D1 is saying I can't start the medical screening process unless I break the law and lie about being resident.
And you'd need to be resident in the UK with a UK doctor for those studies....

You'd also have to satisfy the Habitual Residence Test (including the part about whether you came back for medical treatment.

I wouldn't lie to a government department either. You're not resident in the UK, nor do you appear to intend to do so at this time. Yet you want the UK rules that the rest of us expats have to follow outside the UK. Yes, it sucks that you were wrongly diagnosed (though what was the U.S. treatment for?), but that's an NHS-DVLA problem. Most countries in the world including non-EU countries, and all U.S. states have residency requirements for driving licences. Stop blaming the EU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.