Drive by Xmas gloat

Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drive by Xmas gloat

Let me explain the thread title. In my ironman triathlon world the pinnacle race to qualify for is the Hawaii Ironman World Championships (it's very tough to qualify for, even at my age of 45 yrs I'd have to turn in a time of sub 9hrs 40 and I'm currently on 13.5hrs ).

So when anyone qualifies on the various forums people always put up questions that let people know they're off to Ironman Hawaii. eg: 'Which race wheels should I take to Hawaii?'. This is known as a 'drive by gloat'

So here's mine:

We are having Xmas at my sister's house in the Cotswolds (followed by a Boxing Day 5km fun run at Aylesbury. My question is, on Thurs 30th we are off to Vienna for 3 nights of NYE fun. How cold will it be, what coat should I take and what is the hot chocolate like there? :

(runs for cover).
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Drive by Xmas gloat

Love this thread !
How many mince pies is it acceptable to eat during a four week visit to the uk over christmas .Also do you think its ok to go to Marks and Spencers ,Tesco ,Sainsburys ,next and asda all on the same day !!!!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 9:58 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to say except I hate you both...... and no, I am not even a teeny bit jealous. But not about the 5km run obviously, as that's just madness. I'm more tour-the-shops-and-stuff-my-face-with-mince pies connoisseur type.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, cant compete with that - imagine "going to Ballarat for Christmas" really isnt a "gloat" so much as a drive by "for G*d's sake, pity me". Have a great time, Vienna should be magical!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:32 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Vienna.... right near the top of my bucket list - visit Vienna in winter and attend a Christmas concert there.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
Vienna.... right near the top of my bucket list - visit Vienna in winter and attend a Christmas concert there.
We are hoping to attend some kind of concert but have probably left it a bit late. A guy ay work said he and his wife went to Vienna for NYE 4 yrs ago and the classical concert was 160 euro back then

We might just go to the street party.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Nah not jealous at all.........

You may have Christmas in the Cotswolds and New Year in Vienna on your agenda, hot chocolate and all...........but what's to envy?

Here in Ooorstraya I have a stinkin' hot Christmas and New Year to look forward to, my daughter is soooo "over the whole English thing" so it will be throw another shrimp on the barbie for us, chuck us a cold tinnie and let's eat some mediocre chocolate..........

And Mrs TB wants to come back to this???
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Nah not jealous at all.........

You may have Christmas in the Cotswolds and New Year in Vienna on your agenda, hot chocolate and all...........but what's to envy?

Here in Ooorstraya I have a stinkin' hot Christmas and New Year to look forward to, my daughter is soooo "over the whole English thing" so it will be throw another shrimp on the barbie for us, chuck us a cold tinnie and let's eat some mediocre chocolate..........

And Mrs TB wants to come back to this???:eek:
She's not well
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:26 pm
sjz
Forum Regular

sjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nice

Here’s a couple for you...

I’ll be in the Cotswolds for Christmas. Can someone tell me what the state of the roads is likely to be? Is it just the fields and houses that will be covered with snow?

Paris for NY’s. We’re staying in the ‘village’ of Versailles. Has anyone been to the gardens at Versailles when they’re under snow? Are there likely to be a lot of tourists there or will we have the place to ourselves? Will the restaurants, cafes and the village market still be operating over this period?

Ho ho ho…
Old Dec 9th 2010, 3:56 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Not in the least bit jealous Ha, yeah right!. BOOO HISSS
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Minstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CindyGirl
Love this thread !
How many mince pies is it acceptable to eat during a four week visit to the uk over christmas .Also do you think its ok to go to Marks and Spencers ,Tesco ,Sainsburys ,next and asda all on the same day !!!!
CindyGirl I share your pain, so many places to shop with so little time to do it justice and not enough room in the suitcase to put all the swag. This is my plan for my visit this christmas... focus (after family stuff, no truly after family time) will be on M & S first and foremost, there is just no other sensible plan. I have told my husband that what I really want for Christmas is a minimum of 2 hours in M & S with my Mum and without him and the kids distracting me!! I may have to do this more than once. I plan several leisurely visits to Sainsbury's during which I will be amazed at the selection and wish beyond all reason that they would open a store in Canada where I live. I will skip Asda, I am a Sainsbury's girl through and through. A whole other day will be committed to Next, Boots, WH Smiths and Thorntons.

Can't give any advice on mince pie consumption, horrid stuff why eat them when Cadbury's mini rolls are available!, my problem will be how much bitter lemon (with the ocasional gin in it) can i consume before my skin turns turquoise?

My big personal dilemma is should I worry about the kids getting frostbite when we go see Birmingham City play Manchester United on the 28th? It's an evening game and it may be chilly! I am thinking the kids should take their snow pants, maybe if it is too damp we should skip the game and stay home?

Oh I can't wait for all the dilemmas we will have to cram into 12 days.

Last edited by Minstrels87; Dec 10th 2010 at 8:00 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Going to melbourne for christmas, what do I pack for a fly/locust plague?

Will the weather be 4 or 40C or both in one day?

Floods or Fire this year?

How do you entertain english relatives on Xmas day, including a hyperactive 78 year old backpacker ( quite serious here )

Gloat your heart out NOT
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

How do you entertain english relatives on Xmas day, including a hyperactive 78 year old backpacker ( quite serious here )

Gloat your heart out NOT
Weather - 4 or 40C = yes
Floods or Fire = probably both
Locusts or flies = definitely both, need one of those bee keeper hats
Hyperactive elderly backpacker = give them a packed lunch and tell them to bugger off and do their own thing (speaking as an elderlyish semi hyperactive backpacker myself!)
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich

oh jad you have made me chuckle so much
it wouldn't be funny if it weren't true!
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
We are having Xmas at my sister's house in the Cotswolds (followed by a Boxing Day 5km fun run at Aylesbury. My question is, on Thurs 30th we are off to Vienna for 3 nights of NYE fun. How cold will it be, what coat should I take and what is the hot chocolate like there? :
I'm loving your drive-by gloat!
We've done Vienna for Christmas a couple of times now, and it is very special.
Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.