Downsizing and Up-pricing.

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Downsizing and Up-pricing.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Our robins (American style) are driving us crazy this year. They are nesting all over the garden, including a couple of pairs in the barn which makes it harder to get out the riding mower etc. I was in Norfolk all winter and enjoyed seeing the robins (English style.)

As for plans - Not bad. I'm back & forth, four months in Norfolk, two months or so in New York. My wife absolutely can't leave here, what with quilt group on Saturdays and band on Fridays! I'm flying back to Heathrow in ten days time, spending the summer in England. This winter, we're hoping to visit her cousin down in Sarasota, FL. My cunning long term plan is to move our U.S. operation down to Florida, but we'll see about that...
Yes it's quite hard to compete with those clubs. I noticed though that crafts of various kinds seem to be really popular here - I bet she could find other quilters! Good luck anyway. Plenty of info on here about Florida
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I know it has to be done, and I'm sure I'll adapt in time, but it certainly is frustrating looking at property where you get half the house at twice the price than the one you currently reside in.

Just wondering how others have coped with the transition, if they have been in a similar situation.
2 1/2 years ago we moved from our 5,000 sq ft house with acreage into our 950 sq ft condo in Toronto. All we took with us was clothes and a few personal bits and pieces. Moving from a very small town in the US to Canada's largest city is quite a contrast. From our condo we have fabulous views across Lake Ontario, stores, mall, restaurants, bars, theatres etc are all within walking distance.

So far so good...but I do miss the space. An extra 1,000 sq ft would be nice.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Aha...I do by marriage...actually we were talking about going up there for a weekend sometime soonish - so it would be canny to have a drink like
Whey, yer married to a Geordie pet? Y've gone reet t' the top of me canny list.

I think we'll be around from about the 21st of June until about the 18th of July.

Giviz a bell.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Whey, yer married to a Geordie pet? Y've gone reet t' the top of me canny list.

I think we'll be around from about the 21st of June until about the 18th of July.

Giviz a bell.
Why aye pet, will dee that
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Plenty of info on here about Florida
Yeah I might yank their chain on the U.S. Forum, ask them about buying a pool maintenance company or something...
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 10:39 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Waking up and not hearing the dock workers boots on the road cobbles so down the front stairs to get the milk off the step but rattling the letterbox to make sure there isn't a bank of snow waiting to cave in. Down the back stairs with a kettle full of hot water to melt the ice in the outside nettie and hang some more newspaper on the nail. Across the street to buy two red hot stottie cakes for breakfast stopping at downstairs corner shop for a quarter of salted Norwegian butter straight out of the cask. Two jumpers on to fight the fret off the sea because it is summer in South Shields......
Old Jun 4th 2016, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Waking up and not hearing the dock workers boots on the road cobbles so down the front stairs to get the milk off the step but rattling the letterbox to make sure there isn't a bank of snow waiting to cave in. Down the back stairs with a kettle full of hot water to melt the ice in the outside nettie and hang some more newspaper on the nail. Across the street to buy two red hot stottie cakes for breakfast stopping at downstairs corner shop for a quarter of salted Norwegian butter straight out of the cask. Two jumpers on to fight the fret off the sea because it is summer in South Shields......
Wow! Are you a writer? If not you should be.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hi Sally

Ours is extreme.

Our English flat is 700 sq ft. and cost five times as much as our New York house (3,000 sq ft., four bedrooms, five acres of land.)

Wildlife-wise, all we have in our English flat is those giant bathroom spiders that are ubiquitous in the UK. In America we have chipmunks, mice and red squirrels in the house. We had rats for a while, but I was quite strict with them and they're gone.
You've given me the shivers mentioning the spiders. A few years ago I stayed at my brother's converted barn in Warwickshire, and one day found a spider completely covering the water in the loo. But worse, there were little spiders all over the room including in the bath, and in 2 days I killed more than 60. I had noisy possums in South Australia, and at one time had a licence to catch 12 a year and relocate them in a national park. In the end I gave up, they just kept coming.

As for downsizing, I have a 2-bedroom flat after living in a house in Oz, and after 4 years here, I still can't get used to my tiny kitchen. Walking space is only 6' 6" by 3' 3" with scant working top and 3 minuscule drawers. I had originally thought the kitchen would be adequate, but I soon found out that I was wrong.

For expats who live in bigger houses and planning to return to the UK, it is probably wise to leave furniture behind, and see what room is available when they move back. I gave all mine away in Oz, to family, new immigrants with nothing, and charity shops. It was sad to see my life disappearing like this, but once gone, very little was missed.

Nevertheless, adapting to expensive Lilliput/UK isn't easy!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 5:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Our house in Devon has one of the smallest kitchens I've ever had. We considered building an extension, but eventually settled for moving the boiler to create more space. The new external oil-fired boiler is being installed right now. Then we are having the kitchen gutted and refitted from scratch. It is the most expensive house-renovation project I've ever paid for; just thinking about the cost brings on a mild panic attack. Yet, when the work is done I'll still have a small kitchen, only one with granite worktops and Neff appliances.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 6:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Go north young man.

(South Shields has a brand new rather impressive library now, probably them evil bureaucrats in Brussels' doing).
Old Jun 4th 2016, 9:57 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Go north young man.

(South Shields has a brand new rather impressive library now, probably them evil bureaucrats in Brussels' doing).
Ha ha my memories of growing up in Alice Street Sneaking big North sea crabs up our jumpers to get past the pier master, shouting abuse at the fishing boats at North Shields coming back loaded with cod and collecting the herring in newspapers that the fishermen threw at us to get grandma to make roll mop. Going along to Marsden Grotto when the sea and sand were both frozen. Buying 6d of winkles in the market with pin and asking the fish and chip shop for free scraps (batter).........split pea soup in a billy can.....bag of crab claws....
Old Jun 4th 2016, 10:11 pm
Born again atheist

Ha ha my memories of growing up in Alice Street Sneaking big North sea crabs up our jumpers to get past the pier master, shouting abuse at the fishing boats at North Shields coming back loaded with cod and collecting the herring in newspapers that the fishermen threw at us to get grandma to make roll mop. Going along to Marsden Grotto when the sea and sand were both frozen. Buying 6d of winkles in the market with pin and asking the fish and chip shop for free scraps (batter).........split pea soup in a billy can.....bag of crab claws....
Hmmm. Perhaps you've been away too long. Marsden Grotto is no more. I used to pop in there now and again in my youth, but it no longer serves booze and the funicular thingy is derelict.

Oi vey.

As to the rest of your reminiscences ... get over it. Tempus fugit. Except that the North Shields fishmongers are still doing OK.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'm north and although we have the same number of rooms 3bed/2bath and a garage, we really miss the massive garage we had. I was an extra deep one so bigger than a normal two car garage and here we have a single, wide enough to get the car in, but not wide enough to get a car door open to get out. Dh has enough room for all his tool chests and stuff, but only has a walkway around the centre tool bench not much room to do/make anything.
We talked about downsizing, from a 2 story here to a bungalow, but they seem to build them with minuscule rooms, neither I nor my furniture has shrunk (all furniture is from UK and not oversized), why do they make them so small you can't move around, with no room for more than one slim person in the kitchen and a bathroom so small I bump bum on the wall if I bend over to pick anything up.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 8:54 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm north and although we have the same number of rooms 3bed/2bath and a garage, we really miss the massive garage we had. I was an extra deep one so bigger than a normal two car garage and here we have a single, wide enough to get the car in, but not wide enough to get a car door open to get out. Dh has enough room for all his tool chests and stuff, but only has a walkway around the centre tool bench not much room to do/make anything.
We talked about downsizing, from a 2 story here to a bungalow, but they seem to build them with minuscule rooms, neither I nor my furniture has shrunk (all furniture is from UK and not oversized), why do they make them so small you can't move around, with no room for more than one slim person in the kitchen and a bathroom so small I bump bum on the wall if I bend over to pick anything up.
Muah'Dib will know.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:13 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I had no issue down sizing.

In Canada we lived in a 5,500 sq ft house which I loved at first, then started to resent.
We hardly used our huge rec room in the basement, along with a spare bedroom and large storage room. The kids got the most use out of the basement when they had friends over.

Our living space on the first floor was great and we had a real fire in the lounge. But our bedroom was the whole of the 2nd floor. Who needs that? we had no furniture to fill the space it was so huge!

The maintenance on the house was ongoing. We weren't financially well off in Canada (Nova Scotia) so were unable to keep up with everything and the house fell into disaray. This is why I started to resent it really. The house was wood and we had to paint the outside to keep it weather resistant. The roof tiles started coming off. Roofs had to be replaced every 20 years or so. The real wood floors in the lounge/diner were totally wrecked when we got our puppy. All the windows needed replacing. I hated the bathrooms and the bath was too short to relax in so never had one.
Just the day to day cleaning of a house that large was horrendous.

Anyway, I love my little detatched 4 bed with manageable garden now. It's cozy and I am a lot happier, even though it cost quadruple what our Canada house did!
We are a lot more financially well off here with hubby working IT in London. We have already done a lot more to this house than we ever did in Canada and have more free money for nights out and holidays. Very happy

Last edited by Lorry1; Jun 8th 2016 at 9:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.