Decision made

Old Nov 10th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decision made

After a few months of serious deliberation and years thinking about it, we (my USC wife and I dual UKC/USC) have decided to move back to the UK in the summer of 2016. The date will coincide with my eldest son starting A-levels primarily. We have spoken with schools and have been guided by their input into starting school and A-levels.
I have no concerns regarding employment, immigration for my wife (kids are both UKCs), finding a home, buying a car etc.

My questions to those that have done it are; (given 2.5 years planning to move day):
1. What things do I need to think about that I may have overlooked?
2. What type of questions do I need to ask when getting moving quotes? What good experiences and bad experiences did you have when moving? We are not planning on taking larger furniture items and beds with us, and will buy new in the UK.

The decision has been made, now the fun starts in planning for and getting ready for the move home.

Cheers,
MH
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Decision made

I think you're wise to not be taking big items of furniture with you. We made the mistake of bringing all kinds of sofas, beds, dining furniture etc etc with us and although they fit nicely into the house here in UK, we wished we'd sold them before moving back so we could buy new. The amount we paid from PA to UK was just over $10k and with that amount we could have bought all new stuff here with change to spare!

On the other hand, the items that I gave to charity in USA such as casserole dishes, wall mirrors and the like I wished I'd brought, as although I can get them here they seem to be more expensive than I'd thought.

If you have large area rugs in your home, I'd bring them as they are also a lot more expensive in UK.

With 2.5 years before you leave, you've got a lot of time to sort things and hopefully sell them with time to spare.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 12:42 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You need a good review of the financial, or more importantly, regulatory implications of being a USC overseas. You'll need to be filing taxes every year (filing that is, not necessarily paying taxes) as well as FBAR forms and possibly even FATCA. Should you take ownership of a company there are additional forms to fill out, and you'll also need to make sure your children, if boys, register for US military service when they turn 18.

We have a list of "What to do and when to do it" in preparation for a move. Some of the items there might be helpful.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving
Old Nov 11th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You need a good review of the financial, or more importantly, regulatory implications of being a USC overseas. You'll need to be filing taxes every year (filing that is, not necessarily paying taxes) as well as FBAR forms and possibly even FATCA. Should you take ownership of a company there are additional forms to fill out, and you'll also need to make sure your children, if boys, register for US military service when they turn 18.

We have a list of "What to do and when to do it" in preparation for a move. Some of the items there might be helpful.

Penguinsix,

Thanks for the post. Your list is very detailed, and although it seems aimed at those moving to the US, I am sure most of it is applicable to my situation traveling in reverse. The FBAR and FATCA i don't really think to me as I don't have have over $10,000 in cash saved in an overseas account, although I wish I did!!! The IRS already knows I have a Barclay's bank account with a few hundred quid in it.

I know my sons have to register for the absurd and ironically named "selective service", although I can't quite figure out what part of it is selective.

Thanks for your insight and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

MH
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Consider the three year residence requirement for "home" university fees in the United Kingdom. This may affect your oldest son.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I too will be moving back fingers crossed 2016 with two boys. I'd never heard of having to register for military service...Is that enforceable?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I too will be moving back fingers crossed 2016 with two boys. I'd never heard of having to register for military service...Is that enforceable?
There is no requirement to register for military service in the UK, national Service went out in the 1950s.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 11:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

That link is confusing as it is about moving FROM the UK to the US, many of the items listed have no bearing on a move the other way, which is what is causing some confusion to posters in this thread.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 12:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There is no requirement to register for military service in the UK, national Service went out in the 1950s.
If the boys are United States citizens, they are required to register for military service with the US Selective Service System.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Consider the three year residence requirement for "home" university fees in the United Kingdom. This may affect your oldest son.
That is one of the main reasons we will move when we will. 2 years of A-levels plus a gap year and working will make him eligible for home fees. According to the website of the University of Illinois (where i live) per year expenses as an in-state student are $29,594 - 34,514 per year for 2013/2014. Multiply that by 4, for the whole degree, then doubled as i have 2 kids and I would need to sell both kidneys to pay for it.
The cost of University is a big driving force to return to the UK, apart from wanting to move back home for family, lifestyle and friends.

I know they could go here with little problem, but i would end up cosigning for loans and my kids would be saddled with student loan debt for decades. It makes more sense to go to uni in the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

In a foreign country not enforceable. I know there are some implications that people that don't register are ineligible for federal student loans and other federal government benefit type of things.

Over my dead body would my sons be shipped off in a draft........