To come back or not?

Old Oct 13th 2015, 2:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To come back or not?

That's precisely the question i asked in the original posting... I wanted to know if people who had moved back felt it was worth it coming home... or felt it had been a mistake. However i didnt get much response to that question.
My own experience isn't going to be much help to you. Before migrating, I'd always been happy living in the UK and never wanted to leave. I agreed to spend a few years in Canada for the sake of my husband's career, but only on the proviso that we returned when I'd had enough. I spent eight years in Edmonton Alberta, which is a ghastly hole. Now I'm glad to be home. End of story.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It doesn't really matter what other people feel, because it's what you feel and we're all different. Somebody who hated the UK before, will also hate it today, so there's no point listening. There are plenty of people who just leave the UK for a so called better climate, so anything below 30 degrees will be crap. People expecting the same Britain they had 50 years ago will also be upset, because life has changed everywhere. You can now live in the most remote place and thanks to the internet, you'll find out that somebody got mugged in Scunthorpe last Saturday. It was probably no different 50 years ago, but now we hear and see everything. I suppose we just have to change our way of thinking and say it's actually good that we know somebody got mugged 500 km's away. In other countries it would not even make the headlines and you'd only hear of a killing if it was in your village.

I think you hit the nail on the head ... even 20 years ago I remember trying to check out some usergroups of people in Malaysia to get a feel for the places to live etc... pretty much what people do today on this forum. But then it was only a few dedicated geeks that were online and able to help. Windows was only just out and most usernets were DOS based and pictures took many minutes to download.
In just that past 20 years you now get blasted with every minor wrong done everywhere in the world within minutes, or even quicker if my wife's facebook page and WhatApp is anything to go by.
So yes, you are right.. as the most newsworthy news is bad news then everything will be painted in a bad light, which is a shame.
Malta would not be the place I vaguely remember 55+ years ago, and the UK is now different. It is not that I expected them to be the same... it's just I wanted a second (3rd,4th) opinion.
It was a lot easier to decide to leave.. juicy carrot and everything paid for... those days are long gone. Never thought I would be here so long.
Thanks for your help... a different view always helps. .... now, where did I put that big suitcase?
Old Oct 13th 2015, 7:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that this will open a can of worms but, in my search for an answer, here goes...

My (Chinese Malaysian) wife and I (British) are planning on moving back to the UK early next year… if we can get her visa sorted out. All the additional paperwork and financial requirements have now got me thinking twice about our reasons for returning, so would value the views of anyone in a similar (health, wealth,work) situation as we find ourselves, and their honest thoughts.

Therefore I am searching for other 'returned rovers' who have done likewise to offer their words of wisdom…. Please..
Originally Posted by meinkl
I think you hit the nail on the head ... even 20 years ago I remember trying to check out some usergroups of people in Malaysia to get a feel for the places to live etc... pretty much what people do today on this forum.

So yes, you are right.. as the most newsworthy news is bad news then everything will be painted in a bad light, which is a shame.
During the past 20 years how many times have you been back to the UK for business or pleasure & during that period, has your wife been & seen the UK?

Up thread, I believe you mentioned that doing a recce to the UK may not be possible?

My wife & I left left the UK 48 years ago to come to Canada, spent a few years & odd periods living & working in other countries & yet I have maintained a regular [constant] visit stream back - in fact, it works out that I was back in the UK on average ever second year, making it 24 visits [business & pleasure] for not less than a week at a time & only once was it a 24 hour stay for a funeral then out. My wife on the other hand has been back only 9 times.

And here we are still living in Canada

Good luck with whatever you end up doing

Last edited by not2old; Oct 13th 2015 at 7:31 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

at 60 i would likely be chasing the Pension Credit for 5+ years as the age limit grows annually. born just too late.
Plus need to keep savings for wife's visa application, so can't utilse that, but it will be taken into account when making any such claims. It all a catch 22 situation.
I have been looking for a business for sale there and not spotted any yet... just have to wait.
The whole exercise is getting so much of a struggle for a genuine person trying to do everything the correct way. It's putting me off coming back if it is going to be so difficult. I can't see why so many people want to get into the UK by whatever means... what's the attraction ?.

p.s.
answer re pension credit... c/o uk.gov
You may not be eligible for savings credit if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016..... i reach it on 17 April 2016 :-(
If you really want to come back, NEVER give up working towards your goal and it will happen - some time, some way, some how.

I decided to return six years ago but knew I had a lengthy road ahead of me to make it possible. Curleytops mentioned her experiences since her return; well, for me the last five years were like that in the USA. I was in a state that was the worst hit by the economic depression and work was hard to find. I drained my savings, so much so I decided I had to make an interim move across the country to find a decent job to save enough to come home. After moving, I found a really good job and saved every single penny I could for one year. I am now back in the UK.

I don't regret coming back at all but in some respects it's a mixed bag. The UK has changed in many ways but I am still glad I am home. I think the USA is better for career prospects and earning power. My earning power here is also very good but getting to and from the local city is a nightmare which makes for a very long day. If I work outside the city my potential earnings would drop quite a bit - six and half a dozen. Regardless, even though my earnings potential here is good it is still less than city I left in the USA. But I still don't regret my move. It's part of the adjustment, part of the different way of life and different values here. This is one of the reasons I moved home.

There's not as much sun or high temps in the summer but winters are also much milder. That's fine with me.

What's really bugging me is I don't have a job yet. On the other hand, I have only been here three months and didn't do anything re jobs for the first month. I then was sick for three weeks due to a stupid doctor but I have since swapped him for a wonderful one. In addition, I am just getting over flu I have had for two weeks. I was also extremely tired. Once I arrived I began to feel the tiredness and stress from the last year. I had a good job but in many respects it was horrendous. I worked long hours and travelled internationally but it allowed me to save to come home. I honestly needed the last three months to adjust and rest but now it is time to look for work a little more earnestly.

It's harder to get to work from where I live. Good jobs are in the city which means I have to drive to railway station, take two trains and then walk about 15 minutes. Driving is not an option for this city. This makes for 13 hour days. In the USA it is jump in the car, drive to work, park in underground parking lot and straight to office. Easy!

I also find I lack a bit of confidence when it comes to driving here. I don't know this area well, some of the intersections are bad and traffic is chaotic in rush times.

What I find I am grieving is everything I left behind. I had some things sent over but no furniture. I see my friends from uni many years ago who have been in the same houses since they married. Houses are furnished with furniture and their memories and here I am starting from scratch. I try not to think of it but it is difficult at times. I am still glad to be here, though.

I am trying to find some industrial estates here but they are very hard to find - almost impossible. Will keep looking. I came back to an entirely new area which I think was a good idea but the downside is that I know nothing of the city and the companies there which is a drawback to finding work. I just found out there is a media/entertainment section in the city so I will investigate.

I am also going to see what is required to teach in colleges here but not a clue what the teaching council is called in England. No doubt I will find it. I have already made some contacts in this regard in Scotland, too. Teaching is another option, I hope.

Last edited by windsong; Oct 13th 2015 at 9:36 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

at 60 i would likely be chasing the Pension Credit for 5+ years as the age limit grows annually. born just too late.
Plus need to keep savings for wife's visa application
answer re pension credit... c/o uk.gov
You may not be eligible for savings credit if you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016..... i reach it on 17 April 2016 :-(
Data error 404.

You have a wife and one of those blue gender symbols, so I'm guessing you're male. If you reach pension age in April 2017 you can't be only 60 now.

In addition you can forget pension credit. I think the means test limit is <10,000 pounds in savings.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 7:28 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

That's precisely the question i asked in the original posting... I wanted to know if people who had moved back felt it was worth it coming home... or felt it had been a mistake. However i didnt get much response to that question.
I moved back three and a half years ago and love every minute of it. Best thing I ever did. If I was a religious person, I'd thank God every day for my decision to come back.

BUT, my answering your question is pointless really because my experiences, life story, age, situation, income, personality, outlook, and everything else are different from yours. As is that of every other person on here.

It's perfectly normal to seek reassurance, but the truth is that it can't be found on the outside. Only you can know whether this is the right move for you.

What I would say is that this statement

I can't see why so many people want to get into the UK by whatever means... what's the attraction ?
is very telling, and something you should really think about. If you can't see the attraction, it seems unlikely that you'd be happy when you get here.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute