The Bulgarian & Romanians

Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:01 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Bulgarian & Romanians

Originally Posted by TheCreature

Mass migration of unskilled labour has achieved has given firms exactly what they want, a huge pool of 'cheap people'. It's managed to depress the living standards of those already at the bottom of the heap even further.
It's actually the growing practice of no-hour contracts that has given firms exactly what they want.

The westernization of Britian to US "at-will" employment.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
It's actually the growing practice of no-hour contracts that has given firms exactly what they want.

The westernization of Britian to US "at-will" employment.
What's the chances they could get away with that if their was a labour shortage, rather than a glut of people ready to work for a pittance?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Are immigrants qualified or not, taking jobs away from Brits that do not want to do those jobs that who would rather sit idle or collect welfare.
I love that line

Mass migration of unskilled labour has achieved has given firms exactly what they want, a huge pool of 'cheap people'. It's managed to depress the living standards of those already at the bottom of the heap even further[/B].
if there are jobs in the car wash or whatever other jobs for unskilled labour - why do you think Brits on JSA or welfare do not want to do minimum pay jobs?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

People have short memories.

The same jobs that paid the minimum wage before the A8 countries joined in 2004 the EU were the same jobs that paid the minimum wage after they joined. Only difference was that many of them were now filled by Poles who worked a lot harder with a lot fewer excuses and complaints. I was a poor student at this time and worked behind bars and in warehouses for minimum wage. The difference between most of the British workers and their Polish counterparts was night and day.

I also remember stories in the papers of stockbrokers quitting their City jobs to retrain as plumbers and electricians due to the shortage of skilled tradespeople and being able to make more money due to the astronomical prices being charged.

Whilst the previous government massively underestimated the numbers of people who would come to the UK from Eastern Europe, and therefore failed to impose transitional controls like most of the rest of the EU, the fact there was a large influx of both skilled and unskilled workers was undeniably a real boon to the UK.

Unlike in 2004 the UK did impose transitional controls on Bulgaria and Romania this time around so the effect will probably be unnoticeable given that a lot fewer people are going to be spread out over many more countries.

I was a young Bulgarian or Romanian I would be heading to Germany. A lot more job vacancies, higher wages and closer to home.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
People have short memories.

The same jobs that paid the minimum wage before the A8 countries joined in 2004 the EU were the same jobs that paid the minimum wage after they joined. Only difference was that many of them were now filled by Poles who worked a lot harder with a lot fewer excuses and complaints. I was a poor student at this time and worked behind bars and in warehouses for minimum wage. The difference between most of the British workers and their Polish counterparts was night and day.

I also remember stories in the papers of stockbrokers quitting their City jobs to retrain as plumbers and electricians due to the shortage of skilled tradespeople and being able to make more money due to the astronomical prices being charged.

Whilst the previous government massively underestimated the numbers of people who would come to the UK from Eastern Europe, and therefore failed to impose transitional controls like most of the rest of the EU, the fact there was a large influx of both skilled and unskilled workers was undeniably a real boon to the UK.
Unlike in 2004 the UK did impose transitional controls on Bulgaria and Romania this time around so the effect will probably be unnoticeable given that a lot fewer people are going to be spread out over many more countries.

I was a young Bulgarian or Romanian I would be heading to Germany. A lot more job vacancies, higher wages and closer to home.
Was it?

If that's the case how come the levels of migration into the UK are now such a massive issue? Over 70% believe its 'too high'.
How come all political parties are now saying it needs to be reduced?

Surely if was such a great thing then people would massively in favour of just opening the doors and letting the entire world come and go as they pleased?

Just because you think it was "a boon" doesn't make that the reality.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Was it?

If that's the case how come the levels of migration into the UK are now such a massive issue? Over 70% believe its 'too high'.
How come all political parties are now saying it needs to be reduced?

Surely if was such a great thing then people would massively in favour of just opening the doors and letting the entire world come and go as they pleased?

Just because you think it was "a boon" doesn't make that the reality.
And just because 70% of people now "believe" immigration is too high doesn't mean it is. Economic realities tell us otherwise. Blaming immigrants is a easy dodge for politicians rather than facing some difficult truths about their own failings. The media is happy to play along as fear and misery sells a lot more newspapers.

I hold my opinions based on my own personal experience. Given that most of the people on this forum live outside the UK, often for many years now, I'm not sure where these vehemently held opinions that the UK is ''too full'' and immigration is destroying the social fabric of the nation come from other than what they've read online somewhere.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
And just because 70% of people now "believe" immigration is too high doesn't mean it is. Economic realities tell us otherwise. Blaming immigrants is a easy dodge for politicians rather than facing some difficult truths about their own failings. The media is happy to play along as fear and misery sells a lot more newspapers.

I hold my opinions based on my own personal experience. Given that most of the people on this forum live outside the UK, often for many years now, I'm not sure where these vehemently held opinions that the UK is ''too full'' and immigration is destroying the social fabric of the nation come from other than what they've read online somewhere.
3.8 Million in ten years? Too many? I'm guessing you're saying its not. So what is too many?

"70% of people now "believe" immigration is too high doesn't mean it is"
Sorry, but yes, it does. If the majority of the UK population are not happy with the current levels then its too high, regardless of how you want to spin it as some media conspiracy.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 11:54 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

3.8 Million in ten years? Too many? I'm guessing you're saying its not. So what is too many?

"70% of people now "believe" immigration is too high doesn't mean it is"
Sorry, but yes, it does. If the majority of the UK population are not happy with the current levels then its too high, regardless of how you want to spin it as some media conspiracy.
There use to be a time where most of the people in the world believed it was flat.

Here's an interesting article which comes at both sides.

http://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2013...f-immigration/

"If we want the facts and figures to have an impact we need first to reframe the immigration debate. There is not much point in showing that immigrants do not come to sponge off the welfare state, or that they benefit the economy, if we have already accepted that immigrants are a problem. We need rather to view immigration from an entirely different perspective. We need to acknowledge the movement of peoples as neither an aberration, nor as an evil to be tolerated, but as an inherent part of human life. We need to view the social changes that immigration brings not as a loss of something precious, but also as the gain of something valuable, the creation of a more open, vibrant, cosmopolitan society. We should regard the clashes and conflicts in ideas and values that immigration often creates not as something to be feared and minimised but as something to be prized, the basis of social engagement, the means by which we can break out of our narrow cultural boxes and create possibility of a common language of citizenship.

Adopting such an approach is difficult because it runs counter to so much of what is regarded as social wisdom. That is why it is all the more important to view immigration in this fashion. To do so requires, however, conviction and courage. And those are two virtues noticeable by their absence in contemporary politics."
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:58 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
all for nothing was Y2K

along the lines of ....

A few of them will collectively pool their money & likely own their first of many car wash outlets, as well one or two houses rented to British folks on welfare or many more of their country folk that end up in the UK - all the while British workers & scroungers [as reported in the Daily Mail] will be up in arms that the Romanians & Bulgarians are taking over the country. Or, that that came to the UK to take jobs, from Brits, saved their money then left back to their countries with bags full of money.

'what we need is a change of government'

The other point on this following the first lad to land is that he is working a 8-6 shift for minimum wage & what he earns in one shift is approx what it took him 10 days to earn back home.

If that lad in the car wash was my child I would be proud.....

But its too early to judge the outcome a year from now

Proud? ok... but while I respect this guy for trying to lift himself from poverty. I do not think he should be allowed to come here to work. 1, He is clearly unskilled. 2, We have millions of unemployed. 3, We have enough car washes. This man and his family will receive all the benefits going. Which he will send home. He will burden our NHS and other services. Good for Britain?

Absolutely not.

said it before and i'll say it again call me a fool? just wait a while folks lol
Old Jan 5th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

There use to be a time where most of the people in the world believed it was flat.

Here's an interesting article which comes at both sides.

http://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2013...f-immigration/

"If we want the facts and figures to have an impact we need first to reframe the immigration debate. There is not much point in showing that immigrants do not come to sponge off the welfare state, or that they benefit the economy, if we have already accepted that immigrants are a problem. We need rather to view immigration from an entirely different perspective. We need to acknowledge the movement of peoples as neither an aberration, nor as an evil to be tolerated, but as an inherent part of human life. We need to view the social changes that immigration brings not as a loss of something precious, but also as the gain of something valuable, the creation of a more open, vibrant, cosmopolitan society. We should regard the clashes and conflicts in ideas and values that immigration often creates not as something to be feared and minimised but as something to be prized, the basis of social engagement, the means by which we can break out of our narrow cultural boxes and create possibility of a common language of citizenship.Adopting such an approach is difficult because it runs counter to so much of what is regarded as social wisdom. That is why it is all the more important to view immigration in this fashion. To do so requires, however, conviction and courage. And those are two virtues noticeable by their absence in contemporary politics."

"There use to be a time where most of the people in the world believed it was flat"
That's actually a myth and a totally irrelevant analogy anyway. If the bulk of a population of any nation say that the inward movements are "too much" than that's the fact of the matter. To say otherwise is just elitist 'we know better' type nonsense.

Kenan Malik is a classic example of that 'we know better' type. He dismisses anybody who disagrees with his views with a haughty wave of the hand.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 4:07 am
WhiteRabbit

"There use to be a time where most of the people in the world believed it was flat"
That's actually a myth and a totally irrelevant analogy anyway. If the bulk of a population of any nation say that the inward movements are "too much" than that's the fact of the matter. To say otherwise is just elitist 'we know better' type nonsense.

Kenan Malik is a classic example of that 'we know better' type. He dismisses anybody who disagrees with his views with a haughty wave of the hand.
And you are not doing what you accuse him of?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

And you are not doing what you accuse him of?
Why, because I disagree with you? I'm not dismissing your view, I just don't agree with it. There's a major difference.

The governments, any government, first aim should be to try and protect and where possible improve, the interests of its own people.
I simple don't agree that the surge in migration to the UK over the last ten years has done that.

Last edited by TheCreature; Jan 5th 2014 at 5:52 am.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

So - I want to make it personal. I was born in the US to a British mother (making me a British citizen by descent). While I live in the US and am currently doing a Master's degree here, I have more family in the UK and when I'm back there (which hasn't been as much lately as it used to be, sadly, when I'd spend large parts of my summers in the UK growing up) I feel more at home that I do in the States.

Who here would deny me the right to move back to the UK? I'd hope not very many, but if you would, I won't be offended.

If you wouldn't, what's the difference between me and a well-educated, hard-working Romanian looking to move to the UK for any reason - culture, economy, opportunities, etc?

Furthermore, what's the difference between them and MOST people on this board? For an immigration-related board, there sure is a pretty strong anti-immigrant sentiment.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markuhde
So - I want to make it personal. I was born in the US to a British mother (making me a British citizen by descent). While I live in the US and am currently doing a Master's degree here, I have more family in the UK and when I'm back there (which hasn't been as much lately as it used to be, sadly, when I'd spend large parts of my summers in the UK growing up) I feel more at home that I do in the States.

Who here would deny me the right to move back to the UK? I'd hope not very many, but if you would, I won't be offended.

If you wouldn't, what's the difference between me and a well-educated, hard-working Romanian looking to move to the UK for any reason - culture, economy, opportunities, etc?

Furthermore, what's the difference between them and MOST people on this board? For an immigration-related board, there sure is a pretty strong anti-immigrant sentiment.
Its not the people who are the issue. Its the NUMBERS.
The US has strict visa controls. The UK, as far as European Union countries is concerned, effectively has none. It means anybody and everybody who wants to go to the UK can just walk in, no questions asked.
How would the US handle it if it dropped all visa controls to all of South America?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not the people who are the issue. Its the NUMBERS.
The US has strict visa controls. The UK, as far as European Union countries is concerned, effectively has none. It means anybody and everybody who wants to go to the UK can just walk in, no questions asked.
How would the US handle it if it dropped all visa controls to all of South America?
Well, I think the American economy would see a huge boost. There might be some strain on transit and housing, but I don't imagine nearly as many would flood up as some think. The US is a country founded on immigration - immigration that devastated the local population in a way no immigration today could dream of - and it became one of the most economically prosperous nations in the world as a result.

Imagine the land we call the US today if it WASN'T for unrestricted immigration here. It would be far worse off economically (now, culturally, you can argue, I sure am not one to say the way settlers treated the native population was right, it wasn't).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.