Broken Britain?

Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:22 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice
Default Re: Broken Britain?

My own view on Broken Britain, and I would not want to express a view other than my own, But, especially not the Prime Ministers, is that the country is very different to how it was 10 or 20 years ago, I live in a little bubble and I am employed and so is my OH. We see friends struggling I see others where their lives will not change unless an atomic weapon exploded in their back garden, but this is not the same in all parts of britain.

I am not so concerned about the near future, next year, next 3 years even, the problem will come later, the country has so few resources to pay the bills, we have lost our skilled manual workers and soon we will loose our financial center and importantly, the academia. So many overseas students fill our Universities, choking the intelectual strength of this country, those british students in Uni will leave this country, if they are lucky to get the necessary experience, and head for pastures new (Canada, Australia and so on) with that move will go the repayment due for the Uni education provided free of charge. Just another huge mistake made by the elected loonies of this country. This is not a rant, just a point of view, if you don't agree, please choose to ignore it. Thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
My own view on Broken Britain, and I would not want to express a view other than my own, But, especially not the Prime Ministers, is that the country is very different to how it was 10 or 20 years ago, I live in a little bubble and I am employed and so is my OH. We see friends struggling I see others where their lives will not change unless an atomic weapon exploded in their back garden, but this is not the same in all parts of britain.

I am not so concerned about the near future, next year, next 3 years even, the problem will come later, the country has so few resources to pay the bills, we have lost our skilled manual workers and soon we will loose our financial center and importantly, the academia. So many overseas students fill our Universities, choking the intelectual strength of this country, those british students in Uni will leave this country, if they are lucky to get the necessary experience, and head for pastures new (Canada, Australia and so on) with that move will go the repayment due for the Uni education provided free of charge. Just another huge mistake made by the elected loonies of this country. This is not a rant, just a point of view, if you don't agree, please choose to ignore it. Thanks.
Don't worry about international students - the new points-based immigration system will reduce their numbers drastically.

Can I ask where in the UK (approximately) you live? I've never heard of "Up There".
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:41 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't worry about international students - the new points-based immigration system will reduce their numbers drastically.

Can I ask where in the UK (approximately) you live? I've never heard of "Up There".
North Yorkshire. What do you know about new immigration points systems? Are you referring to Canada or UK.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

North Yorkshire. What do you know about new immigration points systems? Are you referring to Canada or UK.
No, this is happening in the UK. To try to prevent the number of international students who in the past never turned up on campus (usually at lower-level institutions), and/or simply "disappeared" after starting their studies, the UK has introduced a draconian bureaucratic system that inhibits genuine prospective international students.

I tied to find a recent article on this issue in theTimes Higher Ed, but couldn't find it.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:54 pm
Banned

No, this is happening in the UK. To try to prevent the number of international students who in the past never turned up on campus (usually at lower-level institutions), and/or simply "disappeared" after starting their studies, the UK has introduced a draconian bureaucratic system that inhibits genuine prospective international students.

I tied to find a recent article on this issue in theTimes Higher Ed, but couldn't find it.
I am a little concerned about the very many Chinese that come and use our Universities to get the best education, denying UK students the chance. In time, they will have the labour, resources, finance and the intellectual capacity. Four aces in any game.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

the problem will come later, the country has so few resources to pay the bills,
If ever there was a nub to the problem that is it. Everything else will stem from that if the correct decisions are not made to turn the ship around and reinstall growth which will replenish the Government coffers and reduce unemployment.

For example, I witness UK benefit and NHS abuse right here in the Caribbean so it must be rife globally and when I hear those abusers, who are very well off compared to most UK residents, justifying their abuse it makes me turn away from them in anger.

I have to say that I don't understand why UKBA, NHS and HMRC cannot integrate resources better to try and put a stop to it through better information sharing now that we are scanned in and out of the UK.

I suppose the bigger fish are the first (HMRC) priority as they are likely to offer a bigger return for time spent.

The UK desperately needs the cost savings and additional taxed income previously lost through tax avoidance measures.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 17th 2011 at 8:18 pm. Reason: tax avoidance
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:01 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
If ever there was a nub to the problem that is it. Everything else will stem from that if the correct decisions are not made to turn the ship around and reinstall growth which will replenish the Government coffers and reduce unemployment.

For example, I witness UK benefit and NHS abuse right here in the Caribbean so it must be rife globally and when I hear those abusers, who are very well off compared to most UK residents, justifying their abuse it makes me turn away from them in anger.

I have to say that I don't understand why UKBA, NHS and HMRC cannot integrate resources better to try and put a stop to it through better information sharing now that we are scanned in and out of the UK.

I suppose the bigger fish are the first (HMRC) priority as they are likely to offer a bigger return for time spent.
Do us a favour - next time, give them a punch on the schnozz.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I am not so concerned about the near future, next year, next 3 years even, the problem will come later, the country has so few resources to pay the bills, we have lost our skilled manual workers and soon we will loose our financial center and importantly, the academia.
I think much of what you say applies to many countries - there's certainly no escape from any of that here in the US.

That's why the Occupy Wall Street movement is so interesting to me. I think we're actually beginning to see the stirrings of mass global unrest - these problems are by no means limited to the UK.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do us a favour - next time, give them a punch on the schnozz.
Then I'll be the one locked up abroad.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think much of what you say applies to many countries - there's certainly no escape from any of that here in the US.

That's why the Occupy Wall Street movement is so interesting to me. I think we're actually beginning to see the stirrings of mass global unrest - these problems are by no means limited to the UK.
You could be right, i can't condone it though, it seems the majority of those demonstrating are student types and their mums. My advice to them would be to go back to uni and this time take a degree in something that will get you a job. Engineering, medicine, health, maths, proper sciences, leave the sociology, psychology, philosophy degrees and get something that will travel anywhere. Oh and media, unless you are after a job at the daily mail.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Utility charges do not shoot up the way they do in Britain by greedy utility companies.
Britain has high utility prices, but according to this recent Economist article, they are even higher in Japan. It also notes that:

... it has ten regional monopolies (TEPCO is one), which hog 97% of the market for electricity generation and transmission
http://www.economist.com/node/21529037

And of course Japan is in deep shit having made such a large reliance on nuclear power that may very well be unsafe there.

As to Britain being "broken", I disagree. That's just a lazy label that certain politicians like to flaunt. Whilst Britian certainly has its share of problems, I find it a far more vibrant and interesting society than was the case a few decades ago.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 17th 2011 at 8:33 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:58 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You could be right, i can't condone it though, it seems the majority of those demonstrating are student types and their mums.
I'm not sure where you got that impression but it's not true. There are all kinds of people down there including nurses, firefighters, office workers etc. I'm assuming you haven't been down there but I have and it's a very eclectic bunch.

But to the extent that young people are involved, that makes me glad. Old people have never changed the world.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
But to the extent that young people are involved, that makes me glad. Old people have never changed the world.
They are also disproportionately affected by what is going on at the moment. The rate of graduate employment and underemployment can hardly be explained away by graduates doing the "wrong" subjects. One example: I work for a very large software development company that usually hires tons of comp sci grads. In the last three years? Nada, except in Beijing.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

I am not too good on politics but I know the recession has hit practically every country worldwide. But having recently returned back from UK (cousins wedding and having to go back twice earlier than that due to dad passing) the dingy areas of UK ie Lozells or East end of London projects, still look the same as they did when I was growing up back in 70's/80's/90's. But the many other areas still look the same and lovely.

As I posted elsewhere re this...to me lots of people were out and about, dressed nice, eating in fancy restaurants. Just happened to be visiting rich areas like Gerrards Cross, Beaconsfield, in Buckinghamshire, they appear to be the same as I remember all those years ago.
With regards to immigrants in the UK. The open borders have obviously allowed more Europeans to enter the country. But consider the US, they have had a long history of different nationalities entering for so long. Irish, polish, orientals, south Americans to name a few. This has been the norm here. (although they are cracking down on Mexico alot)

Many Brits are still used to just having one major ethnic group entering back in the 50's/60's, the Asians (ie Indians/Pakistanis etc)and have gotten used to just that group being the predominant ethnic group in the UK. However such diversity now in our culture is going to take time getting used to. We don't tend to bat an eyelid about this diversity over here in the US much IMO.

Ie New York has been known as the melting pot of the world when it comes to different backgrounds for so long and that is acceptable.
I think we just got to be tolerant of all cultures, everyones trying to make a living wherever they are and my UK family still call it the land of milk and honey and are grateful they live there.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all
Default Women Urinating in The Street

My daughter, who lived in England for a few years and recently returned to Japan, said she was shocked to see so many drunken women peeing in the street in some parts of England. Now, that is something I never saw back in the old days.

Last edited by Returnee; Oct 18th 2011 at 11:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.