Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Britain powerless to stop tens of thousands of Bulgarians and Romanians moving to UK

Britain powerless to stop tens of thousands of Bulgarians and Romanians moving to UK

Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:33 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice
Default Re: Britain powerless to stop tens of thousands of Bulgarians and Romanians moving to

1066 was the date of the last successful foreign invasion of the british mainland, well so the history book would tell! Looking up and down my high street all I see is shisha bars, polski cleps, aljazera supermarket, patels newsagents, santanda bank, curry in a hurry, the list is endless!
Ladies wearing what look like cotton black bin liners, men with look alike beards, people speaking every language except english!
London bus drivers who cannot or do not want to speak english, but know how to be rude to fare paying customers.
For a country that were named a nation of shop keepers I wonder who is keeping the shop!
The scum of Europe are already on our shores bleeding our benefit system dry, and now more scum is planning to come here.

This will do wonders for the crime rate, Ive done some research on nationalities in British prisons

1. Jamaica 963
2. Nigeria 752
3. Irish republic 647
4. Vietnam 620
5. Poland 617
6. China 472
7. Somalia 463
8. Pakistan 445
9. India 368
10. Romania 357
11. Lithuania 330
12. Iraq 262
13. Iran 244
14. Portugal 233
15. Bangladesh 215
16. Zimbabwe 209
17. Turkey 164
18. France 163
19. Albania 162
20. Ghana 154

These are just the ones who got banged up, what about the thousands that they dont lock up eh!

Even if we do pull out of the EU how will we clear up this mess?

For those of you who cannot understand why getting your spouse a visa is so tough, just trawl around the uk visa forums and you will be enlightened to the abuse that is really going on, these people are like leeches, its time to stop being one of the PC brigade and start talking to your local MP etc, before your street losses its dignity.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain powerless to stop tens of thousands of Bulgarians and Romanians moving to

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
A big part of immigration is from other countries in the EU. The next issue with the immigrant numbers is that student visas are counted in the "hundreds of thousands", and most students don't have any intention on trying to stay permanently - so it would be better to have this figure separate.
Good point.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
Yes, it is a requirement and I totally agree with the OP. As the American in our UK/US relationship I do not want to stay behind nor should I have to. It is not right to put additional burdens on UK citizens wanting to return home with their non EU spouses.

If we did not meet the financial requirement then I, as the spouse, would have to stay here in the US and either rent an apt or maintain our home until my VISA came through costing us $1000's of dollars in living expenses not to mention being separated from my husband and my son. It is not right that a real marriage of over 10 years(in my case 28+) should have to jump through so many hoops have additional financial burdens placed on us just so we can stay together as a family.

What is UKIP?
Ah that's a different story. So it's not that the US spouse can't emigrate to Britain without £18K, it's that she needs a visa prior to entry. That seems pretty standard. That's why we have "countries" so that we can control the number of outsiders who want to come in. It's a matter of patience not $$$.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
A big part of immigration is from other countries in the EU. The next issue with the immigrant numbers is that student visas are counted in the "hundreds of thousands", and most students don't have any intention on trying to stay permanently - so it would be better to have this figure separate.
It's having two bad knock-on effects:

1) Student visas are displacing space allocations for true immigrants (people who want to settle in the UK at least in the medium-term in order to work).

2) It is really hurting UK higher education. International students a) bring in more money for fees, b) contribute to intellectual development and global cultural awareness of UK students, and c) create future international business opportunities for UK PLC when they return to their countries. Reducing international student numbers and/or making it insanely complicated to be an international student (which the IBS does) is not helpful to the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ah that's a different story. So it's not that the US spouse can't emigrate to Britain without £18K, it's that she needs a visa prior to entry. That seems pretty standard. That's why we have "countries" so that we can control the number of outsiders who want to come in. It's a matter of patience not $$$.
No, I think it's that she can't get a visa without sufficent money/income, leading to her having to be apart from her husband for several months while he works and/or saves up, and creating an additional financial burden that makes it even harder to save up the necessary money or show financial means.

It creates a Catch-22 situation and does not illustrate David Cameron's supposed concern for families.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:59 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's having two bad knock-on effects:

1) Student visas are displacing space allocations for true immigrants (people who want to settle in the UK at least in the medium-term in order to work).

2) It is really hurting UK higher education. International students a) bring in more money for fees, b) contribute to intellectual development and global cultural awareness of UK students, and c) create future international business opportunities for UK PLC when they return to their countries. Reducing international student numbers and/or making it insanely complicated to be an international student (which the IBS does) is not helpful to the UK.
By the way, I meant IPBS (Imiigration Points-Based System) not IBS (Irritable Bowel Sydnrome) - though I'm sure if you were an expat struggling to get your spouse into the country, it would aggravate your IBS!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle
1066 was the date of the last successful foreign invasion of the british mainland, well so the history book would tell! Looking up and down my high street all I see is shisha bars, polski cleps, aljazera supermarket, patels newsagents, santanda bank, curry in a hurry, the list is endless!
Ladies wearing what look like cotton black bin liners, men with look alike beards, people speaking every language except english!
London bus drivers who cannot or do not want to speak english, but know how to be rude to fare paying customers.
For a country that were named a nation of shop keepers I wonder who is keeping the shop!
The scum of Europe are already on our shores bleeding our benefit system dry, and now more scum is planning to come here.

This will do wonders for the crime rate, Ive done some research on nationalities in British prisons

1. Jamaica 963
2. Nigeria 752
3. Irish republic 647
4. Vietnam 620
5. Poland 617
6. China 472
7. Somalia 463
8. Pakistan 445
9. India 368
10. Romania 357
11. Lithuania 330
12. Iraq 262
13. Iran 244
14. Portugal 233
15. Bangladesh 215
16. Zimbabwe 209
17. Turkey 164
18. France 163
19. Albania 162
20. Ghana 154

These are just the ones who got banged up, what about the thousands that they dont lock up eh!

Even if we do pull out of the EU how will we clear up this mess?

For those of you who cannot understand why getting your spouse a visa is so tough, just trawl around the uk visa forums and you will be enlightened to the abuse that is really going on, these people are like leeches, its time to stop being one of the PC brigade and start talking to your local MP etc, before your street losses its dignity.
You left out the far greater numbers of Scots, Welsh and English in gaol. Given your reasoning they are a bigger problem.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

To get the Visa to immigrate you have to have the £18K if you have a job or £62,300 without a job and that is just for the spouse if your family has any children that the UK partner is not the biological parent of then the amount goes up!

By the way, I meant IPBS (Imiigration Points-Based System) not IBS (Irritable Bowel Sydnrome) - though I'm sure if you were an expat struggling to get your spouse into the country, it would aggravate your IBS!

Last edited by Maltoo; Nov 12th 2012 at 12:07 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:10 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I don't appreciate the prejudiced tone of the title to this thread, but the point about the UK discriminating against UK citizens with non-EEA spouses is a good one. UK citizens are now also suffering the consequences of the UK's growing Xenophobia. It's bad when that affects any nationality, and ironic when it's a UK citizen.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

just wanted to add if getting the Visa even with the monetary requirement not an issue is anything like renewing your expired UK passport, God help us all!

I give up UK consulate please just send my OH his passport!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:19 pm
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by nun
You left out the far greater numbers of Scots, Welsh and English in gaol. Given your reasoning they are a bigger problem.
Yes true, there are lots of british in british jails, every country on earth has its fair share, the way the EU works now, any body with an EU passport can walk straight through our borders, not real checks if any are made.
Whats the point in having a border control?
Look around the country open your eyes to what is really happening, if you cant see then make an appointment with your local optician ASAP!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:22 pm
Ping-ponger

If more of our own citizens were prepared to work hard for a living, I think that immigration would be less of a "problem".
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:22 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Maltoo
To get the Visa to immigrate you have to have the £18K if you have a job or £62,300 without a job and that is just for the spouse if your family has any children that the UK partner is not the biological parent of then the amount goes up!
Do you mean you have to have 18K cash, even if you're working and sponsor the spouse? Is that an absolute requirement?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:26 pm
advocatus diaboli

If more of our own citizens were prepared to work hard for a living, I think that immigration would be less of a "problem".
Yes so true, although so many brits tend to move overseas I guess the place would feel a little empty without our former colonial citz.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:26 pm
Ping-ponger

Do you mean you have to have 18K cash, even if you're working and sponsor the spouse? Is that an absolute requirement?
Sort of, but not exactly. It's all described in this thread.

Essentially, you can not bring a "non-EU" spouse to live in the UK without meeting financial restrictions that for many people are not easy to meet. It also focuses on cash (job earnings and savings) and ignores things like home ownership (which obviously reduces necessary living expenses), retirement status and other common-sense indicators of faithful intent (such as being married for 20 years!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.