A bit odd......

Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:22 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default A bit odd......

Before I got back to the UK, I had been steeling myself for every single member of my family (immediate and otherwise) to say I was stupid to come back. And do you know what? Not one of them has. They've asked why I came back, but never said I was stupid. Hmmmm. It could be because a lot of them actually have lived abroad and didn't like it, so they'd be a hypocrite for criticizing, or that the UK really isn't such a bad place to live.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A bit odd......

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Before I got back to the UK, I had been steeling myself for every single member of my family (immediate and otherwise) to say I was stupid to come back. And do you know what? Not one of them has. They've asked why I came back, but never said I was stupid. Hmmmm. It could be because a lot of them actually have lived abroad and didn't like it, so they'd be a hypocrite for criticizing, or that the UK really isn't such a bad place to live.
Isn't it funny you prepare yourself for a certain reaction and think carefully about how you'll respond and then at the end of the day you're pleasantly surprised.

When we were back home over Christmas and mentioned we were thinking of moving back we only heard positive comments. I think the negative comments are more likely to come from people who don't know you very well or have never travelled.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

the positive side of fear is hope and knowing that many of our fears never materialize. ...
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

The reaction we've had from everyone we've told about us going back to the UK has been positive - well, with the exception of my in-laws here. They're all being really supportive and no 'told you so' attitude at all. It's such a relief because I know my hubs particularly has felt embarrassed about what's happened and that we couldn't make a go of it.

Making the decision to leave has been one of the hardest we've had - I know going home will be hard too - but it definitely helps to know that the people you know and love will support you in whatever you do.

Sarah
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by horrigans
The reaction we've had from everyone we've told about us going back to the UK has been positive - well, with the exception of my in-laws here. They're all being really supportive and no 'told you so' attitude at all. It's such a relief because I know my hubs particularly has felt embarrassed about what's happened and that we couldn't make a go of it.

Making the decision to leave has been one of the hardest we've had - I know going home will be hard too - but it definitely helps to know that the people you know and love will support you in whatever you do.

Sarah
No-one should feel embarrassed about giving it a go. What's that saying - failure isn't to do with whether you fall down, it's to do with whether you pick yourself back up again (someone take me out of my misery and remind me how the saying goes ...)