Bad News About Baby

Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:30 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bad News About Baby

I am hoping someone out there with some knowledge on this subject can give me some advice.
My new little grandaughter who was born yesterday has become quite sick. She wouldnt feed properly, her temperature was quite low so they put her on an electric blanket, but now she has been taken to the special care unit because her blood sugar levels got really low (1.6)
Her mum did have gestational diabetes. I am presuming this had an effect on the baby??
Any info greatly appreciated.

I am worried sick now. Been trying to comfort my daughter who is extremely upset. I am itching to just jump on a plane. I feel dreadful.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bad News About Baby

It must be so hard for you being this far away......if its any help, my son was born premature and had to go into the SCBU for a while. They were really fab (it was in York Hospital)... my son came out, and is now ten years old. Try not to worry, the baby is in the best place possible.... they will prob do some tests etc just to find out whats going on. When they are satisfied all is well... and it may take a while, they will let the baby go home with mum..
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

karni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nicekarni31 is just really nice

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
It must be so hard for you being this far away......if its any help, my son was born premature and had to go into the SCBU for a while. They were really fab (it was in York Hospital)... my son came out, and is now ten years old. Try not to worry, the baby is in the best place possible.... they will prob do some tests etc just to find out whats going on. When they are satisfied all is well... and it may take a while, they will let the baby go home with mum..
FleaFlyFloFlum,

Am really sorry to hear about the little bub. Am sure she will be just fine. I know it must be tough for u being so far away..

Am sorry dont have any practical advice on this but just want to let u know am thinking of u..
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:47 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I am hoping someone out there with some knowledge on this subject can give me some advice.
My new little grandaughter who was born yesterday has become quite sick. She wouldnt feed properly, her temperature was quite low so they put her on an electric blanket, but now she has been taken to the special care unit because her blood sugar levels got really low (1.6)
Her mum did have gestational diabetes. I am presuming this had an effect on the baby??

I am worried sick now. Been trying to comfort my daughter who is extremely upset. I am itching to just jump on a plane. I feel dreadful.

oh my good, how scarey for you, i bet you are so worried......... your granddaughter will be fine though - im sure. If her mum had gestatonal diabetic the little bub will be used to high blood sugars off her mummy, so when she comes out into the big wide world, her body goes "wheres the sugar"!! coupled with trying to breathe and keep warm, all of which have been done for her up to now, so her blood sugar will dive, its expected and the staff should have been watching for it.

what they will do, is pop her either under heat pads, or in incubator to keep her warm and take away some of the jobs she has to do, and if your daughter is breast feeding (which uses more energy!!) she may need some top ups, of either expressed breast milk or formula, maybe even a drip if they struggle to maintain it.

please try and take comfort that usually its only a short term problem, until her body adjusts and her feed patterns are established.

any other qustions feel free to fire them my way

mand - midwife
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:01 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
oh my good, how scarey for you, i bet you are so worried......... your granddaughter will be fine though - im sure. If her mum had gestatonal diabetic the little bub will be used to high blood sugars off her mummy, so when she comes out into the big wide world, her body goes "wheres the sugar"!! coupled with trying to breathe and keep warm, all of which have been done for her up to now, so her blood sugar will dive, its expected and the staff should have been watching for it.

what they will do, is pop her either under heat pads, or in incubator to keep her warm and take away some of the jobs she has to do, and if your daughter is breast feeding (which uses more energy!!) she may need some top ups, of either expressed breast milk or formula, maybe even a drip if they struggle to maintain it.

please try and take comfort that usually its only a short term problem, until her body adjusts and her feed patterns are established.

any other qustions feel free to fire them my way

mand - midwife
Mand, you have no idea how much your post has helped me i burst into tears with relief.
Not being there is so difficult as i cant ask my own questions to medical staff and i dont want tto bombard my daughter with it all as shes got enough on her plate.

Does this mean the bub could get diabetes or is it purely a reaction to the birth?

She also has another problem. She was born with tilapes. I discovered via the internet that it used to be called club foot.
I found a website which gave so many different sorts of treatments for it and was confused as to how they will deal with it. I dont think she has a chronic case of it, but one foot has a very slight bend and the other a bit more prominent. Nurses told my daughter it can be fixed but i am not sure if it would mean plaster casts and stuff.

Thankyou so much Mand
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:08 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Mand, you have no idea how much your post has helped me i burst into tears with relief.
Not being there is so difficult as i cant ask my own questions to medical staff and i dont want tto bombard my daughter with it all as shes got enough on her plate.

Does this mean the bub could get diabetes or is it purely a reaction to the birth?

She also has another problem. She was born with tilapes. I discovered via the internet that it used to be called club foot.
I found a website which gave so many different sorts of treatments for it and was confused as to how they will deal with it. I dont think she has a chronic case of it, but one foot has a very slight bend and the other a bit more prominent. Nurses told my daughter it can be fixed but i am not sure if it would mean plaster casts and stuff.

Thankyou so much Mand

thats ok, i cant imagine how you must be feeling all these miles away.

no baby unlikely to be diabetic, just reaction to high blood sugars in the womb. Was your daughter on insulin?

have sent you a pm about the talipes!! just noticed it on the other thread, it could just be positional , as in only the soft tissues involved- most cases are, true club foot (meaning bone) not very common in comparisons to the amount of births there are per yr. if positional do as i said in the pm! and if it is bone, go with the flow........... its hard to say what would happen if it is bone, in the sense of casts etc depends on the severity, BUT what i do know that it all can be fixed and thats the main thing! she will walk and do everything she should.xx
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:13 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by mandtooz
thats ok, i cant imagine how you must be feeling all these miles away.

no baby unlikely to be diabetic, just reaction to high blood sugars in the womb. Was your daughter on insulin?

have sent you a pm about the talipes!! just noticed it on the other thread, it could just be positional , as in only the soft tissues involved- most cases are, true club foot (meaning bone) not very common in comparisons to the amount of births there are per yr. if positional do as i said in the pm! and if it is bone, go with the flow........... its hard to say what would happen if it is bone, in the sense of casts etc depends on the severity, BUT what i do know that it all can be fixed and thats the main thing! she will walk and do everything she should.xx

Thankyou so much Mand. I need to go off for a bit i feel very overwhelmed right now. You have made my day.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 4:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Must be awful for you being so far away. Fingers crossed everything will be OK.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:05 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Flea, you must be so worried and feeling very useless being here and not there.

Mand has been such a help to you and put your mind at rest. People are so kind on this site aren't they?

Hope everything works out well. I'm sure it will. Big (((((hug)))))
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:15 am
I don't give a damn

Thanks to you all for being so kind.

Yes, the people on this website are such a great support.

I was in a bit of a state earlier as i had a huge bout of the guilts for not being there. You feel like the worst mother in the world.
Ive had a tough time with both daugthers recently what with this one and my other daughters waters breaking early and breaking a rib. Thankfully she has mended pretty well and still awaiting the birth. Fingers crossed for her.

I did go into a tail spin panic early this morning and was going to jump on a plane. My ex husband talked me out of it and told me to wait and see.

I am soooo over being in Australia. Every waking minute i have the urge to go to the airport.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Look up old posts of 2 lovely posters Hevs and HUP. Their little one Flynn was born very premature last year and all his ups and downs were posted on here and the final outcome has been wonderful. It might just give you a boost just now.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:17 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Fleaflyfoflum, Just wishing you and yours the best.Keep strong.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:22 am
I don't give a damn

Thanks NB will take a look tomorrow.

And thanks to you Dreamcatcher.

Had a bit of good news tonight. Bub is back on normal ward as her blood sugar raised up.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:20 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I had gestational diabetes...my son was also sick...he was not putting on weight...it was the diet the hospital had me on I was breast feeding and my milk was lacking suger...he became sick within days...once I had some mars bars and suger tea he picked up over night...he was on his way to special care too....I would of thought doctors would know gestational diabetes goes within days or hours of giving birth...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:24 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much Mand
My son also had a club foot...put right with wearing good shoes from an early age...so start saving...he was walking at 9 months so it never held him back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.