Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Back from Canada 6 months and missing it terribly

Back from Canada 6 months and missing it terribly

Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

alwaysroaming is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Back from Canada 6 months and missing it terribly

Hi everyone. I am new to forums but I think it is the best place for me to go to talk with people in a similar situation to me.

I have been away from the UK for 5 years. I first moved out to China for over a year and then on to Canada (Montreal) for 3.5years - I moved with my then boyfriend and now fiancee.

I absolutely loved Montreal and completely grew and changed as a person whilst living there. Our decision to move back home was based on a cocktail of homesickness, lack of progressive opportunity for english speakers in Quebec (yes could have learned French but wasn't ready to as have to learn German first - fiancee is German), feeling like we need to be closer to family (although Im not necessarily sure where that comes from as getting away from them was part of the goal in the first place).

Since returning I have been through a whirlwind of emotions. Our friends here have been horrendously disappointing, it has been an enormous financial blow (England is pricey!), a bureaucratic nightmare (fines, bills, documents, rules galore etc.) and generally quite depressive. Family are irritating us and demanding time to a point it is unreasonable and also causing endless drama. It is beautiful in the summer and the people are friendly, albeit alot on the surface, but I just really really miss Canada. I feel like I have lost a part of myself. I had the greatest friends there and finally fit in to a community that was on my level. A progressive society that I felt compatible with.

My fiancee and I said we would give England a good go and if we don't like it we will return but he is allergic to the idea now of doing a spin around and a whole international relocation again. I get where he is coming from and he has moved internationally his WHOLE life, he is tired and wants to just be for a bit.

I guess I am not expecting much advice here but perhaps to just hear if anyone else is in the same situation or has been. How did you cope? Did you find it ever got better? Did anyone go back?
I am still eligble for permanent residency and don't want to loose that status so it is still hovering as an option.

Any chat welcome
Old Dec 21st 2018, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back from Canada 6 months and missing it terribly

Originally Posted by alwaysroaming
Hi everyone. I am new to forums but I think it is the best place for me to go to talk with people in a similar situation to me.

I have been away from the UK for 5 years. I first moved out to China for over a year and then on to Canada (Montreal) for 3.5years - I moved with my then boyfriend and now fiancee.

I absolutely loved Montreal and completely grew and changed as a person whilst living there. Our decision to move back home was based on a cocktail of homesickness, lack of progressive opportunity for english speakers in Quebec (yes could have learned French but wasn't ready to as have to learn German first - fiancee is German), feeling like we need to be closer to family (although Im not necessarily sure where that comes from as getting away from them was part of the goal in the first place).

Since returning I have been through a whirlwind of emotions. Our friends here have been horrendously disappointing, it has been an enormous financial blow (England is pricey!), a bureaucratic nightmare (fines, bills, documents, rules galore etc.) and generally quite depressive. Family are irritating us and demanding time to a point it is unreasonable and also causing endless drama. It is beautiful in the summer and the people are friendly, albeit alot on the surface, but I just really really miss Canada. I feel like I have lost a part of myself. I had the greatest friends there and finally fit in to a community that was on my level. A progressive society that I felt compatible with.

My fiancee and I said we would give England a good go and if we don't like it we will return but he is allergic to the idea now of doing a spin around and a whole international relocation again. I get where he is coming from and he has moved internationally his WHOLE life, he is tired and wants to just be for a bit.

I guess I am not expecting much advice here but perhaps to just hear if anyone else is in the same situation or has been. How did you cope? Did you find it ever got better? Did anyone go back?
I am still eligble for permanent residency and don't want to loose that status so it is still hovering as an option.

Any chat welcome
Sorry to hear you're unhappy. Many people experience the same things, but you always have to stay positive and maybe other doors will open. Even moving to another location in the UK could be an option, or the Republic of Ireland (German speakers are always needed here). Your fiancee doesn't want another international move (I can understand that too), but moving within the UK is not as difficult, or Ireland due to language. Nowhere is perfect and you will always have challenges, so it's just finding the best solution for both of you.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been back? It is natural to miss the stability of what you left behind during the chaos of starting a new life. Common wisdom on this board has been that a two year period should be enough for you to make an informed decision. Keeping busy during that time not only distracts you from unwanted stress, but opens up new worlds of people and places. If you are not working consider volunteering. I have found volunteering as a gardener (we live in a flat) helped me to assimilate well as I went through my own doubtful period.

I agree with Moses that sometimes just moving to another part of the country (if possible) can be a good solution - especially if you would prefer to be a little further away from family.

Wishing you all the very best as you muck through this dilemma. Come back and chat whenever you need it. You will find lots of support here - the people are lovely

As an aside - Moses, is ROI looking for French speakers too?
Old Jan 17th 2019, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Irony of life. I doubt if I would ever miss Canada if I left. Enjoy what you have. I know better. Britain is not that bad. It takes a while but you will be fine.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 5:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elnino05
Irony of life. I doubt if I would ever miss Canada if I left. Enjoy what you have. I know better. Britain is not that bad. It takes a while but you will be fine.
Elnino, I think you meant to say that you know what's better for you. We're all different!
Old Jan 17th 2019, 6:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Elnino, I think you meant to say that you know what's better for you. We're all different!
Exactly right.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

OP hasn't been back to BE in the month since posting but my mind is boggling.

A Brit and a German, they get to live in China for over a year and then get PR in Canada where they live for over 3 years. Is that some hugely in demand qualification/experience or what?

Employee transfer/secondment seems the most obvious explanation but it's almost like the employer asking "where would you like to go this week Mr alwaysroaming?