Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone Moved Back to the UK and regretted it?

Anyone Moved Back to the UK and regretted it?

Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of
Default Anyone Moved Back to the UK and regretted it?

Anyone moved back to the UK after emmigratign and then regretted it again?

Have you noticed bigg differences in the UK? I think it has changed massively since the early 90's.

I have itch feet again...One thing I can't get used to is how crowded it is everywhere. Stuck in traffic all the time and going to Tesco on a weekend....don't start me.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone Moved Back to the UK and regretted it?

We moved back fom Oz 3 years ago and we have regretted it (v briefly) - I am a believer in not regretting anything. However, we are now in the process of moving overseas again. Like you i can not believe the traffic - I just abort now unless it is a neccesity - just turn around in the road and go. I feel like I am wasting my life in traffic. I know many other threads talk about coming back and seeing familiar people in the street and feeling home but our town has grown so much I have seen only a handful of people I vaguely recognise. Sometimes I feel like going to visit a medium or someone and getting the answer because I don't know anymore ! Answers on a postcard.We sort of came back for the family connection (amongst many other reasons) but everyone is so busy trying to make money these days they've lost sight of family. Anyway I think I'm rambling - I think I need to get things off my chest - probably not on your posting. Good luck
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:19 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I have been away from UK nearly 10yrs. Last year I intended to go back for good, but have had to return to Aus temporarily. I was there 3mths.

One of my daughters lives in the same street i grew up in on the outskirts of London. The other daughter lives in rural Essex. I have to say that I hated being back where i grew up. Yes, it was a lot busier traffic wise, but it wasnt just that, i realised I had totally outgrown the place and it wasnt the same as when i was a child ( nowhere is i guess)
On the flip side of that. I went to stay with my daughter in Essex and totally fell in love with the place. I had a renewed excitement. Very little traffic in the local area apaert from the odd queue here and there at home time in the evenings. I love it there, so it just goes to show that going back to where you left might not be the answer. Try somewhere new in the UK. We certainly will be
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk

Have you noticed bigg differences in the UK? I think it has changed massively since the early 90's.

I have itch feet again...One thing I can't get used to is how crowded it is everywhere. Stuck in traffic all the time and going to Tesco on a weekend....don't start me.
no,we have no regrets whatsoever.
no probs with traffic either,depends where you live.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

I don't really regret it, there is a big part of me that is glad we have done it, as now my US hubby knows what its like (good and bad), I've enjoyed being back, the question of "what if" will never be an issue... I do regret disrupting my kids, even though they are still small, it still affected them, and I hate the thought of all the effort we made coming over (renting our house etc), and then thinking of having to move back, find more jobs etc.. I hate feeling unsettled, I hate renting. Ultimately, our question of where we as a family will be better off will be answered and hopefully no more ifs ands and buts. Its been great for my parents to get to know my kids but it'll be traumatic for us all when we leave again.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

the elders will become famous soon enough

Hi there
We have now been back in the Uk for 2 months after nearly a year in OZ. It has been a culture shock, but we have no regrets about leaving or being back, just think how dull life would be if one didn't make the most of every opportunity.
We are from South Africa so have now emigrated 3 times, still have itchy feet and will never say no to taking up another adventure.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, there are days when I know we did the right thing in returning from NZ, and there are times when we both feel we have an itch that needs scratching. Its one of those things that never leaves you I guess, once you have experienced life outside the box, you know that there is a whole wide world to explore, but then you get bogged down with life sometimes, and things get settled and more difficult to move. And anyone finds a crystal ball with the answers please do not hesitate to throw it this way.........
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

everyday!!!!!! to be honest we knew we didnt want to come back as soon as we came home for hols(1 year after emigrating)but by then it was too late,,, but going back in 2.5 years b 4 visa runs out,,, i have a good thread on the update forum called moved back and not loving it.... try there
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reading fan
We moved back fom Oz 3 years ago and we have regretted it (v briefly) - I am a believer in not regretting anything. However, we are now in the process of moving overseas again. Like you i can not believe the traffic - I just abort now unless it is a neccesity - just turn around in the road and go. I feel like I am wasting my life in traffic. I know many other threads talk about coming back and seeing familiar people in the street and feeling home but our town has grown so much I have seen only a handful of people I vaguely recognise. Sometimes I feel like going to visit a medium or someone and getting the answer because I don't know anymore ! Answers on a postcard.We sort of came back for the family connection (amongst many other reasons) but everyone is so busy trying to make money these days they've lost sight of family. Anyway I think I'm rambling - I think I need to get things off my chest - probably not on your posting. Good luck

Ive just started to read the MBTTUK section of this website - and saw your to the main post - probably not the right place but I just had to say something, I am due to move out to Canada early next year.... I have thought a lot on weather Im doing the right thing,(Im still single and 37years old so not a whipper snapper anymore), but everytime I get in my car its just complete trauma - traffic! I used to love driving now I detest it - everywhere is so gridlocked! I wouldnt like to add up the amount of my life ive wasted in traffic and waiting at ever increasing amounts of traffic lights!!! Then as you say family and friends that you miss, hardly have any time for you - as you say just too busy trying to earn a crust to get a reasonable standard of living! That said I haven't exerienced actually living in Canada yet...but everytime I m having a bad day there I'll just think... traffic, crowds, ridiculous expense just to live in a decent area and have a reasonble standard of living...etc etc.. any
way Im rambling now aswell.. I may end thinking what have I done - and join limbo land of not knowing where I want to be. I hope not though. There are still some very nice places to live in the Uk...if only you can afford to, and its getting increasingly unlikely that I can. I wish everyone luck with whatever they decide to do. Sorry for the ranting ramble!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Ive just started to read the MBTTUK section of this website - and saw your to the main post - probably not the right place but I just had to say something, I am due to move out to Canada early next year.... I have thought a lot on weather Im doing the right thing,(Im still single and 37years old so not a whipper snapper anymore), but everytime I get in my car its just complete trauma - traffic! I used to love driving now I detest it - everywhere is so gridlocked! I wouldnt like to add up the amount of my life ive wasted in traffic and waiting at ever increasing amounts of traffic lights!!! Then as you say family and friends that you miss, hardly have any time for you - as you say just too busy trying to earn a crust to get a reasonable standard of living! That said I haven't exerienced actually living in Canada yet...but everytime I m having a bad day there I'll just think... traffic, crowds, ridiculous expense just to live in a decent area and have a reasonble standard of living...etc etc.. any
way Im rambling now aswell.. I may end thinking what have I done - and join limbo land of not knowing where I want to be. I hope not though. There are still some very nice places to live in the Uk...if only you can afford to, and its getting increasingly unlikely that I can. I wish everyone luck with whatever they decide to do. Sorry for the ranting ramble!
hope you arent going to toronto as the traffic's worse there than anywhere over here
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk

I haven't regretted moving back (think everything happens for a reason and was something we needed to do) but we dont want to be here anymore and plan to head back to oz. As someone else on here posted the only regret i have is disrupting the kids (not that they are showing any signs of disruption yet) and having to do the whole thing all over again Some people live/work in the same area all their lives - i can never understand that but sometimes get jealous as i am sure life would be a whole lot easier:curse:

As for the UK, i definately think it and people have changed, but then so does everywhere i guess.

BB
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

I used to spend, on average, no less than 1hr 10mins to travel 16 miles when I was living in England.

I'm not saying Canada doesn't have traffic congestion because obviously it does in the major cities, but where I live now, getting caught at a red light on your way home from work is as bad as it gets
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Betty Boot
I haven't regretted moving back (think everything happens for a reason and was something we needed to do) but we dont want to be here anymore and plan to head back to oz.
How long did it take to realise this? months, years?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:26 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Anyone Moved Back to the UK and regretted it?

Originally Posted by Danny B
...but where I live now, getting caught at a red light on your way home from work is as bad as it gets
That's probably also as exciting as it gets where you live as well.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Originally Posted by englishrose
hope you arent going to toronto as the traffic's worse there than anywhere over here
Or Calgary - the Deerfoot at rush hour isn't exactly stress free!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.