As an American I have to say...

Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:31 am
  #16  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,884
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Rete
Her Muslim bedfellows who fund her charities and campaign chest, benefit from the charities and hold places of importance in her office is one of the several reasons why I chose not to have her in the White House.
How sad that you dismiss people based on their religion.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:34 am
  #17  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,884
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Lots of people trying to take comfort from the supposed fact that Clinton has won the popular vote but since three states have yet to declare the chances are Trump will win that too given how close it is.
Unlikely. Clinton is 700k ahead in votes and those numbers are cumulative. The states that haven't declared are close to 100% of reporting precincts at this point.

But the popular vote is irrelevant anyway.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2016 at 8:39 am.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:36 am
  #18  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,384
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Rete
]

I do not disagree but of the two choices, honestly, I preferred a loud mouth smart business man than a woman who should have been in federal prison for the her acts against her country. Her Muslim bedfellows who fund her charities and campaign chest, benefit from the charities and hold places of importance in her office is one of the several reasons why I chose not to have her in the White House.

So, Donald's Russian backers didn't worry you at all??
mikelincs is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:39 am
  #19  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,578
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
How sad that you dismiss people based on their religion.
How sad that you see "Muslim" and immediately assume a pejorative.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:42 am
  #20  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,884
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How sad that you see "Muslim" and immediately assume a pejorative.
Odd because I didn't. Rete expressed a view that Clinton having "close advisors" that were Muslim was one reason she voted against her. Why would the religion of such a person be an issue?
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:47 am
  #21  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,578
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Odd because I didn't. Rete expressed a view that Clinton having "close advisors" that were Muslim was one reason she voted against her. Why would the religion of such a person be an issue?
Who said it was? She objected to some advisors, they happened to be Muslim. I don't think you'd have batted an eyelid if she had said "Christian", in fact you would probably commended her for her atheist sentiment.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 8:53 am
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,884
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Who said it was? She objected to some advisors, they happened to be Muslim. I don't think you'd have batted an eyelid if she had said "Christian", in fact you would probably commended her for her atheist sentiment.
Why do you think she specifically called attention to close advisors who were "Muslim" as opposed to explaining why she had issues with those advisors? Why is their religion relevant? I would also suggest that starting that sentence with "Her Muslim bedfellows" is a big clue as to her intent.

If she had said a similar statement with the word "Christian" in it, my reaction would have been the same, as it would had her comment been race-based - "Her black bedfellows..." for example.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 10th 2016 at 9:02 am.
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:31 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Location: Rural BC
Posts: 256
Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

The issue is that the US electoral system is so out of date with this electoral college idea.
Although the democrat got more votes she lost, same as in the first past the post system in the UK and Canada.

Also 49% of the electorate did not vote at all, so the new President Trump only really represents less than 25% of the people who can vote.

The failure here was not getting enough people out to vote and the way the votes are added up, its not fair.
However, you have what you have and I don't think Trump will get away with anything too outrageous as the Senate and Congress will have checks in place to stop him..........the nuclear codes are not only in that one bag which follows the President around but with several others and they all have to agree to launch.
Trump may not be a politician but the rest of his cronies are and they will watch out for themselves first and the party second, the people come last.
Benson55 is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:25 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Finally moving!
Posts: 1,236
holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
...
If he were president, Donald Trump—who likes to say he doesn't spend a lot of time conferring with others ("My primary consultant is myself," he declared in March)—would be free to launch a civilization-ending nuclear war on his own any time he chose."
It's a risk certainly.
But fulfillment of Hillary Clinton's promise to impose a no-fly zone over Syria would highly probably have led to a worldwide nuclear war. In which we all die.

Those who tipped the balance were voting against Hillary Clinton more than they were voting for Donald Trump.
holly_1948 is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2016, 3:34 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Downton Gabby's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 280
Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by holly_1948
It's a risk certainly.
But fulfillment of Hillary Clinton's promise to impose a no-fly zone over Syria would highly probably have led to a worldwide nuclear war. In which we all die.


Those who tipped the balance were voting against Hillary Clinton more than they were voting for Donald Trump.


1. That's quite some conclusion you're jumping to!

2. Um. How could you possibly know that? You'd have to interview every person who voted for him. And frankly, you're wrong. If you don't think that most people who voted for him really LOVE what he stands for, you're mistaken.
Downton Gabby is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:07 pm
  #26  
Return of bouncing girl!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Fourth Reich
Posts: 4,931
Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby


2. Um. How could you possibly know that? You'd have to interview every person who voted for him. And frankly, you're wrong. If you don't think that most people who voted for him really LOVE what he stands for, you're mistaken.
By the same token, how can you possibly know that? You'd have to interview every person who voted for him.

I share your feelings regarding the outcome of the election, but I also personally know several people who voted for Trump and I know that they don't really love what he stands for. Unfortunately it would be fair to say that their vote has legitimised his platform of bigotry, misogyny, racism and xenophobia so that those who DO love those things feel they can now express them more openly.

In no particular order, these are the main reasons I believe most reasonable people who voted for Trump did so:

1) The Supreme Court. I disagree, but understand the reasoning. The fact that the vacancy should already have been filled is an absolute disgrace and I'd hope that anyone, no matter which side of the aisle they stand on, would be able to agree that there was no legitimate reason to hold this up. Still, given that it was held up, it became a reason to vote Republican in this election.
2) Change. People are sick and tired of establishment politicians. I disagree with the person they chose to represent this change, but I agree with the principle.
3) Healthcare. The ACA needs a massive overhaul - while there are many great aspects of it, too many hard working families have suffered. A personal friend who is middle class and self-employed can only afford catastrophic coverage for her family. Her premiums are over $2K per month. I totally understand where she's coming from - it's completely unacceptable.
4) Lies. For some reason many people seem to be determined to believe that Clinton lies more than Trump, despite all the evidence to the contrary. I neither understand nor agree with this one.
5) Corruption. They were apparently willing to overlook Trump's corruption while simultaneously holding it against Clinton. I don't understand this double standard, personally.
6) Criminal charges. The fact that Clinton was cleared of criminal wrongdoing and that Trump is facing charges of his own is apparently irrelevant. I don't understand this double standard either.
7) Actual policies. This is fairly low down on the list, as I don't think this election has been fought primarily on policies. I understand the reasoning, even though I disagree.

If you're not LGBTQ, or a legal citizen with illegal family members, or a Muslim, or an African American... if his rhetoric and bullying won't impact you or your loved ones, maybe that made it easier to turn a blind eye to it. Now that those (who I still believe are the minority) with the "deplorable" attitudes have been given a platform and a voice, I sincerely hope that those who DID turn a blind eye to it will now stand up against the results wherever and whenever they can. I do feel they owe the rest of the nation at least that courtesy.
Wintersong is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:53 pm
  #27  
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,830
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

As an American the outcome of the election left me feeling shame and anger. I'm a proud Republican but more than that I'm a patriot to the United States. But what took place on Nov 8th was the watering down of an office that was once held in high esteem. That is no longer true. We allowed a racist xenophobe to stain the reputation of a nation simply because he convinced a percentage of our fellow citizens that he could deliver to them a few shillings of gold. They sold out their country in hopes of enriching their pockets. Sadly they will soon learn that not only did they fall prey to a convincing conman with nothing positive to show for their obedience but the harm Donald will inflict on our rights, riches and honor might take years to restore. I like many Americans feel soiled.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2016, 7:58 pm
  #28  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,384
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by Wintersong

In no particular order, these are the main reasons I believe most reasonable people who voted for Trump did so:

1) The Supreme Court. I disagree, but understand the reasoning. The fact that the vacancy should already have been filled is an absolute disgrace and I'd hope that anyone, no matter which side of the aisle they stand on, would be able to agree that there was no legitimate reason to hold this up. Still, given that it was held up, it became a reason to vote Republican in this election.
.
The non-replacement of a judge on the Supreme court was not down to Obama, but down to the fact that the republican congress and senate vowed to block anyone he put forward, they were waiting for the election and, at that time, hopefully a republican victory, then they would get a supreme court justice who would be on their side.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:11 pm
  #29  
Was in Canada, now home.
 
Editha's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,388
Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

At this moment, Russia has 330,000 troops stationed on its western borders, nuclear capable missiles in Kaliningrad and two warships armed with cruise missiles in the Baltic Sea. This compares with NATO's recently stationed 4,000 troops in the Baltic states.

In the course of his election campaign, Trump said that under his presidency the USA may not come to the aid of its NATO allies if attacked. That is the basis of the NATO alliance, that an attack on one is an attack on all. It is why 453 British soldiers, and many from other European countries have died in Afghanistan.

Putin, on the other hand, has made his territorial ambitions clear, and they extend far beyond the parts of Georgia and the Ukraine, that he has already annexed. In particular, he does not recognise Latvia's right to exist as an independent nation. Latvia is a NATO member.

If it is uncertain whether the USA will not come to Latvia's aid, a Russian invasion becomes much more likely, and that makes a nuclear confrontation much more iikely. This is in addition to Trump's lack of experience in state-craft, his apparent ignorance of world affairs, narcissism, lack of concentration and emotional instability.

So Holly, if you didn't vote for Clinton because you thought you were making the world a safer place, you were sadly mistaken.

Last edited by Editha; Nov 12th 2016 at 10:16 pm.
Editha is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:42 am
  #30  
Return of bouncing girl!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Fourth Reich
Posts: 4,931
Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As an American I have to say...

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The non-replacement of a judge on the Supreme court was not down to Obama, but down to the fact that the republican congress and senate vowed to block anyone he put forward, they were waiting for the election and, at that time, hopefully a republican victory, then they would get a supreme court justice who would be on their side.
I'm well aware of that. As I said, it's a disgrace.
Wintersong is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.