Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

After many, many false starts, I'm finally on track for moving home

After many, many false starts, I'm finally on track for moving home

Old Jun 1st 2019, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all
Default After many, many false starts, I'm finally on track for moving home

I have made a couple of threads about moving back to the UK. In 2017, I thought I was finally going to make my dream a reality, only to be let down at the last minute. As of today I have $3,007.17 in my Kiwibank notice saver. My goal is to save 20,000 from my wages from today until October first next year. Added to interest, cashing in holiday pay, and selling stuff, this should give me at least 10,000 GBP after all travel costs are deducted from my total amount. Dispite everything going on there, it is home and my heart keeps calling me to return. Last year I tried to feel like a proper kiwi by becoming a citizen, but I feel no real attachment to New Zealand. It's a beautiful country, and it has been good to me, but that's it. Staying here is like wearing an old, threadbare hoodie on a slightly too warm day - comfortable and familiar but a bit too stuffy and constricting. it's like part of you wants to keep it on, but part knows you really should take it off.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 10:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After many, many false starts, I'm finally on track for moving home

I’m glad to hear you’re taking practical steps to make this happen. It’ll help immensely with your mental wellbeing between now and the move as well. Becoming a NZ citizen was also a smart decision to future proof your decision to move back home. Sounds like you’ve got it all covered.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Thanks! This time I think I've given myself a more reasonable time frame in which to save enough to survive on if I can't get a job there from NZ, and to organise everything.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: After many, many false starts, I'm finally on track for moving home

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
I have made a couple of threads about moving back to the UK. In 2017, I thought I was finally going to make my dream a reality, only to be let down at the last minute. As of today I have $3,007.17 in my Kiwibank notice saver. My goal is to save 20,000 from my wages from today until October first next year. Added to interest, cashing in holiday pay, and selling stuff, this should give me at least 10,000 GBP after all travel costs are deducted from my total amount. Dispite everything going on there, it is home and my heart keeps calling me to return. Last year I tried to feel like a proper kiwi by becoming a citizen, but I feel no real attachment to New Zealand. It's a beautiful country, and it has been good to me, but that's it. Staying here is like wearing an old, threadbare hoodie on a slightly too warm day - comfortable and familiar but a bit too stuffy and constricting. it's like part of you wants to keep it on, but part knows you really should take it off.
Good for you! I'm 'trying' to get outta here also... are you allowed to withdraw your Kiwisaver money? I thought it had to be 'rolled over' into another super fund in the UK? It would help amazingly if I could get my Kiwisaver money out.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Thanks! This time I think I've given myself a more reasonable time frame in which to save enough to survive on if I can't get a job there from NZ, and to organise everything.
Well done you.

Old Jun 7th 2019, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Good for you! I'm 'trying' to get outta here also... are you allowed to withdraw your Kiwisaver money? I thought it had to be 'rolled over' into another super fund in the UK? It would help amazingly if I could get my Kiwisaver money out.
I opted out of Kiwisaver, because even after getting cold feet after my last failed attempt, I always sort of had it in my mind that I wasn't going to be retiring in New Zealand. I can't say for sure, if that's the case, but it does sound like something governments would do.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Well done you.
Cheers! My auntie recommended 5k and a job before I moved, so I figure 10k without a job is do-able, and 10k with a job really good.