Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Yet another second home program launched

Yet another second home program launched

Old Aug 27th 2022, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another second home program launched

https://cm2h.com/
https://www.asiapropertyawards.com/e...ign-investors/
https://www.imidaily.com/asia-pacifi...o-citizenship/

Cambodia launched its version of 2nd Home program for foreigners (see links above for details) . At first glance, it does provide a couple of interesting benefits, such as:

- 10 year multi-entry visa with no stay requirements
- Can apply for Cambodian citizenship after 5 years
- NO Khmer language proficiency requirement

AFAIK (As far as I know), the key requirment seems to be USD 100k investment in Cambodian real estate....

From my personal perspective, cambodia offers a much less desirable alternative to Malaysia, my key reasons being:

- lack of quality infrastructure and services
- Higher Petty crime and social stability
- higher levels of official corruption at almost every level
- Lack of English proficiency outside PP

On the flip side, there are some advantages to Cambodia viza viz Malaysia i-e; :
- lower cost of living (outside PP)
- generally tolerant atmosphere around religion and behavior
- (Packets of) beautiful cultural and culinary heritage

I suspect the "Path to citizenship" in five years, will probably the key draw of this program.

Comments?
Old Aug 28th 2022, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another second home program launched

CM2H has its own thread on expat dot com, Malaysia section. There, someone said that the application fee is USD30,000, but that is refundable in case of failure to be approved. If successful it goes towards the USD100K, but that is said by one official to be a donation rather than a recoverable investment. That contradicts the above video that says it's a real estate investment in a very restricted range of projects.

Personally I would be very reluctant to put myself at the mercy of Hun Sen.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I found this on the application form...

"CM2H membership application fee is USD 50,000. Applicant is required to pay USD 5,000 as the initial registration fee (”Initial Registration Fee”)."

Nothing about it being refundable.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
I found this on the application form...

"CM2H membership application fee is USD 50,000. Applicant is required to pay USD 5,000 as the initial registration fee (”Initial Registration Fee”)."

Nothing about it being refundable.
Interesting - they've changed it. The application fee was USD30k when I and others looked at the same form a few weeks ago. Lower down it says:
"The Initial Registration Fee is refundable only if the registration is not approved or refused by the government. An administration fee of USD 250 will be charged in case of disapproval."

With the fees changing and different interpretations of what happens to the 'investment' (donation?), there are too many unknowns.
Old Aug 28th 2022, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

ssoomro is an unknown quantity at this point

Well...:There are known unknowns and Unknown Unknowns:...after all its Cambodia ...

The excerpt from the online registration reads "CM2H membership application fee is USD $50000, Applicant is required to pay $5000 as the initial registration fee, Initial Registration Fee is refundable only if the registration is NOT approved. An administration fee of USD 250 will be charged in case of disapproval".... ...

I think the 'charity' KHCA is handling the application process as well as "approved" real estate projects. ..Too many red flags there ...corruption is endemic there and real estate speculation turns into contact sport sometime ...

Although I must say ..from personal experience.. Cambodians are some of the most humble, friendly and sweet people on earth... considering what they have gone through in recent history ...

The program itself shouts ... Caveat Emptor ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CM2H-Registration-Form.pdf (561.5 KB, 32 views)