For those living in Penang

Old Feb 4th 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those living in Penang

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Thanks, both of you!

One thing that interests me is that in the U.K., it's been suggested that a family of four need take home net of around 2500 gbp per month which equates to an almost 40k gbp per year salary. Now given 2500 gbp is around 15,000 MYR, and I would have to pay school fees and medical compared to the U.K., and I start to question if this would be the cheaper option after all.... hmmmm.....
Bear in mind that to get 2500 gbp/month or 30,000 gbp per annum requires an annual income of 40,000 gbp to cover taxation in the UK but if your income (pension) is derived in the UK but you are resident in Malaysia you will not pay UK taxes so you now have an additional 10,000 gbp to pay for schooling and insurance. I have no idea what these cost but an additional 55,000 rm would go a long way in a year.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 10:51 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those living in Penang

Originally Posted by NeonHippy
Bear in mind that to get 2500 gbp/month or 30,000 gbp per annum requires an annual income of 40,000 gbp to cover taxation in the UK but if your income (pension) is derived in the UK but you are resident in Malaysia you will not pay UK taxes so you now have an additional 10,000 gbp to pay for schooling and insurance. I have no idea what these cost but an additional 55,000 rm would go a long way in a year.
Yup. Indeed. Schooling is around 21-25k RM/ child - waaaaay more in KL though!

I've really appreciated this discussion as it has helped clarify a lot for me.

Especially as kids would be seen as overseas students and fees at uni later on....