Sarawak M2H

Old May 30th 2018, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sarawak M2H

I've had a reply from Extreme Events. They are even more expensive than those mentioned above: RM10,000 for the main applicant, plus RM1,500 for each dependent, plus medical and MM2H fees.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:08 am
Em9
Just Joined

Em9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I'm considering the Sarawak MM2H FD road. But I'm slightly confused about where in the process the fixed deposit needs to be made / shown (and for how long - 1 year / 5 years / 10 years?). Biggest concern: opening a fixed deposit and being rejected for the visa. Am I at that point stuck with a useless fixed deposit or can it be 'undone'?

Thanks for any answers,

Martin
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

1) The fixed deposit is made after you submit your documentation to Immigration and your application is approved by the Committee.
At that point you will receive a Conditional Letter of Approval.

2) You take that to the local bank and establish a Fixed Account for the term of the visa. Sarawak only issues a 5-Year Renewable Visa so the maximum term would be 5 years.

3) You take proof that you have made the deposit (and completed any other conditions that you may have neglected that are in the "letter") and they will award the Visa (5 Years or for the length of your remaining passport eligibility if shorter). Of course you must pay and fees for visas at that point.

Technically the only way you'd get stuck with a "useless fixed deposit" would be if you never submit the documents for the visa required by the Conditional Letter. [I'm not sure if the bank may terminate the deposit since you actually never received the required visa].

If you decide to quit the program before your full visa terms you can apply to withdraw the Fixed Deposit. Otherwise (after the first year) you can only withdraw money for legitimate purposes...children's schooling, property purchase, healthcare costs in Malaysia. You must always maintain at least RM60,000 in the Fixed Deposit.

It might help to establish beforehand which banks will accept the approval letter, offer good rates, and can approve your account fairly quickly. Some people have suggested that you request the bank establish a second savings account for accrued interest on the Fixed Deposit. If the bank will let you establish a parallel savings account that's a benefit since you can transfer more into that and use it for personal banking.

If you decide to renew (i'm told that the process is fairly automatic and largely only requires a new health check and renewal form) you will have to renew or move the Fixed Deposit. I think the renewal amount is RM60,000 (but you can't withdraw anymore for health, education, property).

Last edited by RedApe; Jun 1st 2018 at 7:54 am.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 7:58 am
Em9
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RedApe
1) The fixed deposit is made after you submit your documentation to Immigration and your application is approved by the Committee.
At that point you will receive a Conditional Letter of Approval.

2) You take that to the bank and establish a Fixed Account for the term of the visa. Sarawak only issues a 5-Year Renewable Visa so the maximum term would be 5 years.

3) You take proof that you have made the deposit (and completed any other conditions that you may have neglected that are in the "letter") and they will award the Visa (5 Years or for the length of your remaining passport eligibility if shorter). Of course you must pay and fees for visas at that point.
Thank you, that really covers it all. Sounds similar to the mainland MM2H.

One other question I have is about the sponsor. The official PDF states 'originating from Sarawak / resident of Sarawak'. I can't figure out if the slash is an OR or an AND (I'm inclined to read it as OR). I do have a sponsor in someone being born in Sarawak, but he moved to the mainland (still registred with IC in Sarawak). Wondering if he would qualify.

Thanks again,

Martin
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd talk to Sarawak immigration about the order they want the FD made...but they'd have to issue some sort of letter to get the backs to clear it. And the banks have to get permission from KL HQ. I suspect if you talk to one bank they'll either say yes or no...about the letter. I have to admit I'm not absolutely certain since I did not actually have to establish an FD. But I did talk to several banks about the FD and other accounts and I recall they wanted a letter to at least finalize the process.

My understanding is that your potential sponsor is Sarawakian. You provide a copy of the MyCAD that they will sponsor you. The issue will be that he will have to accompany you to Immigration and also undergo an in-person interview. That might not be very convenient since he currently doesn't live in Sarawak. Maybe he could get a relative to act in his place?
Old Jun 4th 2018, 6:24 am
Em9
Just Joined

I'd talk to Sarawak immigration about the order they want the FD made...but they'd have to issue some sort of letter to get the backs to clear it. And the banks have to get permission from KL HQ. I suspect if you talk to one bank they'll either say yes or no...about the letter. I have to admit I'm not absolutely certain since I did not actually have to establish an FD. But I did talk to several banks about the FD and other accounts and I recall they wanted a letter to at least finalize the process.
Well, I'm sure they'll issue some kind of confirmation for the bank to act upon. The mainland MM2H route (regarding the FD) sounds the most logical. But when I'm ready I will write them in advance to make sure. Overall I find the documentation very confusing, because I'm sure they would also like to know how you're going to support yourself, since you can't touch the fixed deposit. So what are the questions asked if you do the FD? Do you still need to show income (which they claim is not necessary) or are you supposed to live off savings (and if so, how much would satisfy them)? In that sense I find the mainland one more logical (FD + income), albeit a bit steep perhaps.

IMy understanding is that your potential sponsor is Sarawakian. You provide a copy of the MyCAD that they will sponsor you. The issue will be that he will have to accompany you to Immigration and also undergo an in-person interview. That might not be very convenient since he currently doesn't live in Sarawak. Maybe he could get a relative to act in his place?
That's a good suggestion, although if immigration is flexible with their dates, I think it's not a big problem. My sponsor is willing to travel (still has family there he visits a lot). But a familiy member would also work.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

You ask some good questions. But I suspect that they may not have actually put themselves in the logical position of the applicant.

But if they did a (FD+Income) requirement then why just have a Income/Pension only option at the same level. Who would go for the FD option if you already had to show income of RM7000/RM10,000?

Unless, of course, immigration would specify a lower figure for income/savings + FD.

Just on the safe side you might want to bring along your bank/income warrant information for the previous 3 consecutive months close to the date you apply. Of course, this would be before you make your FD transfer. If their requisite income for the retirement option WITHOUT FD is RM7000 (single)/RM10,000 (couples) then maybe half that (plus your bank account) would satisfy them if they are curious. One could certainly live on RM3500/5000. Maybe a RM2000/month small apartment and RM1500 for other items. The FD would be accessible for emergency health issues. If you really were on a tight budget there are 1 BR - shared bath rentals for RM450 in boarding houses.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:11 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

You ask some good questions. But I suspect that they may not have actually put themselves in the logical position of the applicant.

But if they did a (FD+Income) requirement then why just have a Income/Pension only option at the same level. Who would go for the FD option if you already had to show income of RM7000/RM10,000?

Unless, of course, immigration would specify a lower figure for income/savings + FD.

Just on the safe side you might want to bring along your bank/income warrant information for the previous 3 consecutive months close to the date you apply. Of course, this would be before you make your FD transfer. If their requisite income for the retirement option WITHOUT FD is RM7000 (single)/RM10,000 (couples) then maybe half that (plus your bank account) would satisfy them if they are curious. One could certainly live on RM3500/5000. Maybe a RM2000/month small apartment and RM1500 for other items. The FD would be accessible for emergency health issues. If you really were on a tight budget there are 1 BR - shared bath rentals for RM450 in boarding houses.
kuhcing is expensive. In Miri and Bintulu you can rent a 3 bed terraced house for 2k/ month. A 6 bed 4 storey semi d costs. 4K/ month (though Aircon bills add another 1k+/month)
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

I've seen a few like that or even lower (RM1000-1500) if one is willing to live away from the downtown in places like Batu Kawa, Matang or Samarahan. Some are near the larger Malls. But near the waterfront and museums its going to be higher. One can't buy in Bintulu (yet) but nothing in the Sarawak M2H prevents one from renting anywhere (well maybe government subsidized housing). One could find a bungalow on the beach, or arrange to live in a small village, if one wanted.

I was just providing a hypothetical as to what the IMMIGRATION might believe is a reasonable living expense. If one starts saying that you will be living on RM800/month they will likely give you a "Suspected Hippy in Transit" Pass. You want the visa first, then can worry about what you want to live on as a comfortable (or spartan) budget.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

trane22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Redape for all your valuable info...you have answered a few of my questions in the past...im about a month away from packing all up , into my rucksack, and spending my first spell in Sarawak, mainly to befriend a sponsor.. off thought, (i came back to settle, but one harsh winter is enough, Id give my right nut, for some enak street fare),so to Sarawack to soonish apply under the Sarawak MM2H, ....my "offs" have been spent in Bali and Malaysia for years....your last pointer, have to agree, 3000 Rm p/m is quite comfortable, yeah easily done....humble apartment, running an old Honda X...eating well, basic net/phone plan.......humidity , storms, sun.........not for everybody....but suits me...my only worry is ill get board, but i have my projects....but again being back here, ive had enough
Old Jun 19th 2018, 2:08 am
Just Joined

covdave is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having difficulty finding a sponsor and I want to avoid paying the 10K agency fee for providing a sponsor. Any ideas on how to find a sponsor? I will give a sponsor the security bond plus payment for being a sponsor.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Trane22...I'm away from Sarawak for a few weeks but will be back for the Rainforest World Music Festival. You'll likely just miss that...plus all the places that fill up at that time. Guesthouses might reduce their accomodation costs after the festival (usually it goes up 20-30% the week of the Festival). Let me know when you are in town.

Covdave...at this point there is no way around the issue of finding a sponsor. Technically the agencies are not legal. My advice for finding sponsors are to befriend the managers of your guesthouse and see if they will sponsor. Alternatively contact members of the associations that you may wish to join, or members of professional associations re. your former or current profession. I would think that covering the bond plus a little more would be fair value, particularly if they assist through the immigration process and other sundry things (finding longer term accommodation, giving a town orientation re. services, immigration interview, assistance with banking, Medical checkup, etc.). I have a local friend working on clarifying these issues with Sarawak Immigration but it could be a few months yet.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going to some churches and asking the pastor if he knows anyone who wants to earn a few MYR. Thing is I am not to good at hitting on people(strangers) to help me out.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Is there any period of time that you have had at to of known the sponsor?
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

There is no written "rule" as to the length of time that a sponsor needs to know you, though that might be something that immigration has as an unwritten criteria. My impression is that the sponsor should be willing to vouch that you are indeed intent on actually using Sarawak as a retirement base, not intending on working, are not a person of criminal background or a missionary (to their knowledge), and have "sufficient means". Much of that information will be provided by you to immigration anyways. They should be well aware of what's in your "cover letter" (former job, children, spouse, nationality (obviously), why you like Malaysia/Sarawak, etc.).

If you are concerned about some of the above DQ'ing you...perhaps get a local police department letter of good conduct to back up your package. The more documentation the better. If they don't want it at least you have covered all potential bases. I carried everything that was required for the peninsular MM2H, just in case. One never knows when policies will change. As I mentioned above I'm still trying to find out a way for individuals to submit the bond directly, as on the peninsula.

Obviously a longer period of contact would be better. I wouldn't just come to Sarawak without a visit first to see if you really like it. Come on a tourist visa, make the contact, check out places that you might want to rent/buy, come back the next year with a real visa to avoid the Journey Performed Fee.

Last edited by RedApe; Jun 21st 2018 at 6:29 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.