Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Originally Posted by kebi
Never say never and no one will ever know what a government will deicide to get some extra dollars from the taxpayer.

According to the current law MM2H participants and most of other foreigners living with different visas in Malaysia don't have to declare or pay tax for any income from outside Malaysia.
Originally Posted by saiprasad
Thanks for this info. So that I don't have to look for a CA for their advise
since my pension and old age insurance is paid outside of Malaysia:-)
For clarification, the UK State Pension is definitely taxed at source. UK Private Pensions may also be taxed. Having said that, Bakedbean has indicated that if you live here permanently, you can apply for some sort of document from Malaysia which you provide to HMRC and should mean you will not have to pay tax on the private pensions. There is no getting around the State Pension however. If you still own a house in the UK and rent that out, the rental income is also taxable. None of the above are taxable in Malaysia, only in the UK. Kebi is correct to say that any monies coming into Malaysia are neither taxed nor taxable in Malaysia. Hope that clarifies things!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

saiprasad is an unknown quantity at this point

bakedbean, tks for the note.
No, I am not a Brit. However a 8.4% will be withheld by my country while receiving the pension and old age allowance. I was worried additional taxation could happen in MY during my stay under MM2H Visa which is not the case. So I will have to dig out the possibilities as to how the 8.4% can be claimed back as refund:-)
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bluenose 1
Tks for the clarification. Though I am not from UK, the 8.4% tax withheld is of similar situation from my country of residence. This could be reclaimed only if there is Tax Treaty and by providing Certificate of Residence from MY
But for me things are clear. I am putting this note for other reader's information which may be of help.
Cheers & Thanks :-)
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kebi
As far as I understand this sentence this applies to nearly all foreigners who are in Malaysia and want to visit another country. I.e. any foreigner can go to the Thai Consulate in Penang and apply for a visa for Thailand. According to the Thai Embassy's web page you can get a 30 day visa on arrival by plane. If you cross the boarder overland by car they will give you only a 15 days visa. So if you want to stay longer you will need to apply for a visa which can be collected the same day of application.
With ASEAN coning on line during 2015 and visa restrictions being lifted for the partaking countries. Any one have any information on how this affects us foreigners who are resident with regards to needing visas etc if have moments of wanderlust and wish to country hop within ASEAN?,
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends what you mean by Resident. I have the MM2H visa. It's a long term social visit visa, no matter that I am resident here all year. A visa. So I think that makes me (officially) a long term tourist.

Is the ASEAN thing not to do with ASEAN citizens? What's your take on it, mikemike?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I guess it depends what you mean by Resident. I have the MM2H visa. It's a long term social visit visa, no matter that I am resident here all year. A visa. So I think that makes me (officially) a long term tourist.

Is the ASEAN thing not to do with ASEAN citizens? What's your take on it, mikemike?
My take is utterly confused as some retirement visas in ASEAN are Permanent resident status, no expiry date.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

ASEAN is only an economic association. I don't think it has yet developed where there is any standard immigration policy. Each member has their own.
I do know that Indonesia allows free Visa on Arrival (VOA) to other ASEAN member citizens but that, to my knowledge, is about as far as their policy goes.

On 1 Jan 2016 all ASEAN countries are supposed to increase their commitment to form an Asian Economic Community zone (AEC), which might include the free-flow of labor and expertise, where some new arrangement might be enabled.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I know what mikemike is on about as I also read something about it a little while back on the ASEAN site. Just been googling. One link mentioned it was about "certain classes of workers" across 10 Asian nations.

Well I think the "work" bit might rule us out for starters.

And in any case MM2H doesn't give Permanent Residence so....sorry folks.

Cannot speak for Philippines retirement visa. As I recall, from what I've read, it's a pretty good retirement visa and one of those rare countries where you automatically get the UK State Pension rises. If anyone is interested in reading up on it, there's a Read Me sticky topic in the 'Peens section.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Are European foreign nationals arriving for a permanent stay in MY with MM2H Visa
required local registration or reporting to the immigration office at the nearest foreign registration office. For instance in Petaling Jay (Selangor)? What are the procedures? :-)
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:49 pm

If you have the MM2H visa stamped in your passport, you don't need to report anywhere. It is a multi entry long term visa. You just come and go as you please. When you arrive at the airport in Malaysia, you show Immigration your MM2H visa page in your passport. That's it. Easy

No procedures at all until renewal of the visa, or expiry of current passport which will require transfer of the visa into new passport.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks bakedbean for the info. Actually what I meant to ask was (my apology for that)
whether one need to register the Community/municipality/township authority in Petaling
Jaya, Selangor? and not the FRO:-)
Old Sep 17th 2014, 2:08 pm

You don't need to register anywhere. MM2H office has your details. That's it.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent. This piece of info is of great help. Thanks:-)
Old May 10th 2015, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Anbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really niceAnbar is just really nice

We are also thinking about the MM2H visa. Which is the main reason we will be in Penang towards the end of the year.( If anyone wants to buy a French farmhouse pm me )
Is the visa only valid for the mainland state it was issued in. Could we rent for 6-8months in Penang then move to Port Dickson for a while. How about renting off the mainland in Sabah or Sarawak on the same visa. many thanks.
Old May 11th 2015, 8:38 am

That's a very good question about Sabah and Sarawak. The MM2h government website is no longer clear on the subject. They used to put not valid for Sabah and Sarawak I think, but I cannot find anything on the site now.

It might be best to check directly with MM2H gov office if you wish to do this. I suspect it's as before and that you have to apply to Sabah or Sarawak if you want to live there.

JoyStay (agents) are usually on the ball with everything, and they still state NO to Sabah and Sarawak. You can check out this link:
Free MM2H online Assessment for Malaysia My Second Home Programme

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.