Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Jun 7th 2018, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Can anyone recommend an MM2H agent? I will be applying from the USA, but plan to move to Penang.
I guess I should use a Penang-based agent, or does it not matter?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section....
Old Jun 7th 2018, 10:56 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto
Can anyone recommend an MM2H agent? I will be applying from the USA, but plan to move to Penang.
I guess I should use a Penang-based agent, or does it not matter?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section....
No it doesn't matter and you can always do on your own as well, but the majority of folks I know in Penang, including me, have used Alter Domus. I would definitely recommend them. Big advantage of using them is that you don't need to go to Putrajaya KL to do anything. They will do for you. They are in Georgetown Penang. Best of luck.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:23 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I know what you are saying but it's somewhat ambiguous . From a tax point of view we can be tax resident** but fact is it is very clear on the visa stamp that it is a Visit Pass therefore we are Visitors. Yes it does leave some of us in a bit of a No Mans Land.

Permanent residency was available in the past. I have no idea if it is still available. It required an eye watering amount of dosh to be lent to the government.

**not sure about Americans and Aussies
Well we can at least agree that the MM2H visa confers the right to be tax-resident in Malaysia whereas a tourist visa (be it for Malaysia or elsewhere) does not.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 2:23 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't matter and you can always do on your own as well, but the majority of folks I know in Penang, including me, have used Alter Domus. I would definitely recommend them. Big advantage of using them is that you don't need to go to Putrajaya KL to do anything. They will do for you. They are in Georgetown Penang. Best of luck.
+1 for Alter Domus
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Well we can at least agree that the MM2H visa confers the right to be tax-resident in Malaysia whereas a tourist visa (be it for Malaysia or elsewhere) does not.
Yes. Though not sure for some countries' citizens and residents e.g. USA and Australia.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 4:51 am
Just Joined

macmagrduer is an unknown quantity at this point

another +1 for Alter Domus. They had my MM2H approval 5 months from application. With their clear assistance the application process took less than a month. VERY EASY to work with and very helpful. Highly recommend if Penang is your intended destination. https://www.penangmyhome.com/contact-alter-domus
Old Jun 8th 2018, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

US is a bit weird. They can tax you on either US based or Foreign earned income...but offer both credits and deductions for the latter. In order to qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, taxpayers must pass either the “Bona Fide Residence Test”, which proves to the IRS that your residence in the foreign country is legitimate, or the “Physical Presence Test”, which tell the IRS that you have been residing in your foreign country 330 days out of a 365-day period.

One additional advantage of living abroad is that you may not face State taxes. The rules on whether you are no longer a state resident is state dependent and depends upon whether you continue to reside in, have assets (property), earnings or "ties" to the state.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers everyone I guess Alter Domus it is.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Dr M: Malaysia welcomes foreign investments, less so immigrants

KUALA LUMPUR, June 11 — The Malaysian government is always open to foreigners who wish to invest and develop the country, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today. However, he said the government has a stricter policy on taking in immigrants who wish to “settle in the country”.

“They can develop, but we will not allow foreigners to come and settle in our country,” he said in a press conference with the Japan National Press Club broadcast “live” from Tokyo where he is attending the Future of Asia conference hosted by Nikkei.Dr Mahathir was referring to the Forest City project in Iskandar, Johor that was started by a private company from China and said his Pakatan Harapan government “generally don’t believe FDIs includes developing Malaysia to bring foreigners to settle in our country”.“All countries practise the same thing. Even America is building a wall against Mexico. They want to keep their country to themselves, so does every other country and Malaysia has a right to deny entry of immigrants into Malaysia,” he said.
Any impact on the future of MM2H do you think?
Old Jul 9th 2018, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Bangkokgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan to apply by myself and I currently reside in Thailand. Will they accept application by mail? Thanks!
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

On-Line Submission for the Peninsula. Of course, some of the post-acceptance steps require one to be in Malaysia.

Steps To Apply - MM2H Official Portal

Sarawak requires a direct submission. But the process is accelerated so one could get everything done in a few days (including health checkup), obtain approval within two months, and return within the six month window to set up fixed-deposit (if required) and pay the visa fees.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

According to this article dated 30th December 2018, Peninsular MM2H is suspended:
DCM glad MM2H is not suspended here

Briefing the Minister on the current status of MM2H, Chong said the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture (Motac) has stopped processing applications from interested parties intending to make West Malaysia their second home.

"However, MM2H Sabah is not adversely affected for now," he said in response to public queries.
Sabah MM2H appears to have the same rules as West Malaysia, and you are allowed to live in either place.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

I have a physical copy of form IM.12 with a unique serial number on it. At the bottom it says "This form should be typed." Really? Or is very neat handwriting permissible? No one uses a typewriter these days.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Social Visit Visa Form

If the Registration number is not important go to above Download to pdf. Then in the upper right should be a "Fill and Sign" option (in Adobe). Click. Then a panel should appear below that Select "Add Text". Fill in the needed information. Print and sign.

Probably could scan your doc to pdf and do the same thing retaining the Registration Number.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedApe
Social Visit Visa Form

If the Registration number is not important go to above Download to pdf. Then in the upper right should be a "Fill and Sign" option (in Adobe). Click. Then a panel should appear below that Select "Add Text". Fill in the needed information. Print and sign.

Probably could scan your doc to pdf and do the same thing retaining the Registration Number.
Excellent! Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.