Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:56 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring in Malaysia - Malaysia My Second Home Visa (MM2H)

Just a slight correction. Private health insurance is not compulsory for MM2H if you are over 60, but advisable of course.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected... i didnt know they have changed that since i renewed mine.
However, I would strongly advise getting some though, the difference in standards between private and "GH" hospitals is far more than the UK difference. It's cheap.
Re previous posting.. just chacked my visa.. states...
" Permitted to enter and remain in West Malaysia and Sabah until.... ... any form of employment prohibited etc etc"

So yes... Sarawak not included.. shame that as it's such a nice place.
BTW, British passport last 10 years... MM2H visas last 10 years... so they will get out of sync. You will find youself doing 2 MM2H trips within 10 years.. one to renew visa, the other to put the second half of your visa into your renewed passport.

Last edited by meinkl; Oct 1st 2015 at 5:27 pm. Reason: forgot something! i tend to do that at my age :-(
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:32 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meinkl
MM2H visas last 10 years... so they will get out of sync. You will find youself doing 2 MM2H trips within 10 years..
No I won't. The agent here does that for me

As you say, you must check out all places carefully if retiring here, or at least give one place a go, then go on somewhere else. Even on Penang island for example, Bt Ferringhi is a million miles different to say Tanjong Tokong.

I haven't been over to Bt Ferringhi for a while but will have to believe what you say about tourists.

Yes some of the north coast of Penang Island is very busy now and lots of concrete sprouting up. It's like a second rate Singapore in places. But there is good and bad to that. In retirement, handy to have all these places within spitting distance....supermarkets, banks, hospitals, polikliniks.

Fact is though....everywhere in the world changes over 20 years. If I went back to where I was living 20 years ago, I am sure it is changed. You need to plan for "Now".

Anyway, wish you well in your next life journey. Ol' Blighty has some attractions and especially if you have family back there. Have you discovered the Moving Back to the UK section on this forum? Lots of good tips and information.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

meinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond reputemeinkl has a reputation beyond repute

I was blissfully unaware of the 2012 changes to nonEU spouse permits until i went online to apply, so the Jan 2016 business plan is now out the window along with all other plans. This whole forum is a mine of information especially the section you mention.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:28 am
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Having read through this and other threads can i offer my 2p worth..
I have been in Malaysia for 20 years, working then semi retired, and now actually thinking of moving back to UK if my wife can get a visa!

I assume you are retiring here and not working (not that you can if you have MM2H)
So you have to ask yourselves why do i want to live in Malaysia and what do i want to do. Quiet tropical beaches or busy expat community?

Wherever you are in West Malaysia you can fly cheaply to Singapore or KL on Firefly/AirAsia etc many times a day. You can, as i have many time, drive from KL or even Penang, to Singapore within 5 (9) hours (and have your car with you in Singapore). So suggest that living near (Johor) is not worthwhile unless going to Singapore often.

IMHO..
KL is not worth it unless you need to be near work.. too much traffic jams, haze, and getting expensive with RM dropping. Masses of expat haunts (i am in one now!) and good shopping.
Penang is expensive and full of tourists from everywhere and recent expats. Property inflated prices.
Langkawi is quiet, some tourists but quiet ones, beaches everywhere and clean water, but slow island life.
Johor is expensive and nothing much to offer.
Melaka (where my wife if from) is touristy and busy at weekends with Singaporeans and Johorians as well as KL, but nice place, cheaper than KL and part way to Singapore. Good property investment (see note below)
Port Dickson.. well.. its near the airport, property cheap, and IMHO boring.. nothing much to do... however it is the place most likely to develop especially if the new KL/Sing rail link ever gets built

Note, you as MM2H can only buy property if above a certain level, most of which is currently overpriced and about due for a housing price crash in my opinion.
Unless you know Malaysia well, I would come, rent and explore... THEN decide.

Re the question about EAST Malaysia... the excluding Sarawak clause used to be on work permits as a west Malaysia work permit was not valid in Sarawak, only Sabah.... i will check my passport tonight and see if its on the MM2H permit.
I respect your opinion re Port Dickson meinkl, but I feel I must give my opinion to counter your ‘boring’ label. Have you visited recently?

My wife and I bought a villa in Port Dickson a couple of years ago in line with a plan to retire there in a few years. It is quiet during the week, which suits us, becoming busy at weekends with locals who come to visit the many beaches, resorts and restaurants, taking part in the multitude of activities they provide. We enjoy the ‘small town’ feel of Port Dickson but it still has plenty of the necessary everyday facilities such as banks, medical clinics, local markets etc and a huge range of restaurants, from the local coffee shops through to the five star resorts. There is even a Starbucks now if you enjoy the modern Western style experience; a Tesco store was being built during our last visit.

The Royal Port Dickson Yacht Club is a fantastic facility, with a swimming pool, tennis, squash, billiards/snooker, library, cheap bar etc, entertainment every weekend with good, dining available every day. Membership is relatively easy to come by, once you have an initial sponsor.

The city of Seremban is 30 kms away and anything you can’t find in PD you will find there. With about a 50 minute drive to KLIA and 90 mins to KL city we have found PD ideal and it has certainly met all of our needs so far.

I hope this alternative view is useful.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:27 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Penang has become far more crowded (all the apartments on the north coast) and you have to admit Batu Feringghi does have a lot of tourists these days since european charter flights started in the late 90's.

Great to read your insight meinkl.

Living here in Penang we find Batu Ferringhi quieter than usual this year. The tourists coming here have changed a lot over the years. In its heyday, Penang International Airport used to receive direct flights from the UK, Japan, Australia and other foreign destinations, which augured well for the tourism industry. But over the years, these flights have slowly been halted due to lack of passengers or the airlines choosing to fly to more lucrative destinations. I don’t think there’s any charter flights from Europe to Penang these days is there?

We’ve noticed a marked decrease in the number of Europeans holidaying at Batu Ferringhi, and an increase in the number of Singaporeans, Malaysians and people from the Middle East.

This year the hotel occupancy rates are significantly down. Lots of reasons no doubt, including the aviation tragedies last year for MAS, and the slowdown in the global economy. It'll be interesting to see whether the weakness in the ringgit helps to improve tourist arrivals.

Some interesting statistics here:

Penang hotel occupancy rate down - News | The Star Online

http://corporate.tourism.gov.my/imag...s_Mac_2015.pdf

JC3
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry... I didn't mean to offend PD or its inhabitants... my only adverse comment was that some people might find it quiet compared with Penang and KL (even Melaka).
Good to know there are expats like me that like the quiet, rural, local life rather than the Bangsar style.

I personally think its the best place for investment/retirement property as still underdeveloped, prices low(ish) and will benefit greatly from the proposed YTL rail link from KL-KLIA-SING that will pass nearby, giving fast transport to KLIA plus north and south (when that eventually happens).
I often sail down from Klang to Admirals Cove and use the yacht club nearby (reciprocal membership), which is nearly always full and good value.

I do agree with your view of PD.. it has lots of potential, especially for buying property. The highway branch made it a lot easier to get from KL and i am surprised it's taken so long for people to discover PD.
I hope i can still visit PD without being lynched... as have many friends there. Well i hope i still have !
I will admit that Starbucks is new since i was there last and great that Tescos is building.

Actually, thinking about quiet areas, Pangkor/Lumut is another quiet area that some people may like if they want to get away from cities... Sitiawan nearby has grown from sleepy rural "crossroads" town to a sprawl with Tescos etc.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

JC3
Thanks for the recent insight into Penang... I remember the Air Jordan and other "holiday" flights starting (90's) and thus bringing in a lot of Middle Eastern tourists, that were still there when I was last there (last November due to medical limitations on my travelling).
Its a shame if Penang economy suffers from drop in tourists, but as Penang state is probably richer than KL due to the masses of foreign companies manufacturing there, I dont expect it will suffer as much as the likes of Langkawi.

From what i have seen the Ringgit drop to 6.7 to UKP (today) has not sparked a surge of last minute tourists surprisingly. It does help anyone with investment income in UKP though, just as it did when it was 7 to the pound 10 years ago.

I also hope that MAS, or MAB as it is now, has not suffered due to unfortunate and tragic incidents... there are many other airlines with far worse records. I have, and always will, fly with then as first choice as have always found them the (nearly) best airline i have used.

I do hope i didn't "start a my town is better than yours" string to the thread.. i was just giving my personal impression based on the changes i have seen. Everyone sees things differently and i was hoping to be objective and helpful.
Bottom line is ... there is somewhere for all tastes in Malaysia.... just take your time and find it.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:23 pm
Now a MM2Her.

Scuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond reputeScuba Tyke has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry... I didn't mean to offend PD or its inhabitants... my only adverse comment was that some people might find it quiet compared with Penang and KL (even Melaka).
Good to know there are expats like me that like the quiet, rural, local life rather than the Bangsar style.

I personally think its the best place for investment/retirement property as still underdeveloped, prices low(ish) and will benefit greatly from the proposed YTL rail link from KL-KLIA-SING that will pass nearby, giving fast transport to KLIA plus north and south (when that eventually happens).
I often sail down from Klang to Admirals Cove and use the yacht club nearby (reciprocal membership), which is nearly always full and good value.

I do agree with your view of PD.. it has lots of potential, especially for buying property. The highway branch made it a lot easier to get from KL and i am surprised it's taken so long for people to discover PD.
I hope i can still visit PD without being lynched... as have many friends there. Well i hope i still have !
I will admit that Starbucks is new since i was there last and great that Tescos is building.

Actually, thinking about quiet areas, Pangkor/Lumut is another quiet area that some people may like if they want to get away from cities... Sitiawan nearby has grown from sleepy rural "crossroads" town to a sprawl with Tescos etc.
Thank you meinkl for your updated response, I certainly didn't take offence at your original comments, just wanted to air a different point of view.
I agree that there is much potential in PD for investment. There are now plans to re-open the rail line from Seremban, although I'm not going to hold my breath!

We will next be there in January, maybe we can get together for a beer at the Yacht Club if you are up that way anytime then?
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:19 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

JC3

I do hope i didn't "start a my town is better than yours" string to the thread.. i was just giving my personal impression based on the changes i have seen. Everyone sees things differently and i was hoping to be objective and helpful.
Bottom line is ... there is somewhere for all tastes in Malaysia.... just take your time and find it.
Hi meinkl,

I don't think you have, I hope I haven't too!
And I agree with your bottom line - plenty of variety here.

JC3
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

KSAMS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. Newbie here so if I am posting on the wrong thread please redirect me.

We have been away from the UK for the past 20 years in the Middle East and now looking for somewhere to base ourselves abroad for the next 5 or so years for tax reasons.

MM2H looks a good deal in that we can make our modest income go further before the pension proper kicks in.

We like Sailing, swimming, diving, running, walking, yoga, seeing different cultures, having a bit of space to live in preferably with a view and cooking / entertaining. Well SWMBO mainly likes the cooking, I do the eating but that may change a bit once we have more time on our hands.

We don't like big cities that are choked, polluted and hassled

Nascent plan would be to spend Jan through to April/May based in Malaysia but travel about in country and within the region a bit.

We are planning on doing a look see next July as that is when leave is best for me.

Questions:
1. Is it worth going to Penang in July when the weather may be not ideal and not what we would experience during our target time for Malaysia or is there a more representative place to go for a glimpse of the climate?

2. If we are only around for 4 ish months and probably travelling for 2-3 weeks during this can we get reasonable rental accommodation and be able to leave a couple of suitcases behind for our return?

3. What is the best way to plug in to a community quickly given we will not be in the country all the time so we need to find some like minded souls fairly quickly and keep in touch while we are away? Hitherto we have always had work, children or both that have given us starting points.

Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:18 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum KSAMS. I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies to your questions from members here. I would just start by saying that the lifestyle you are seeking doesn't seem to match too well with what you're likely to find in Penang therefore you may need to consider other places in Malaysia.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Welcome to the forum KSAMS.
I would have a read through this thread fo an idea of what each area has to offer.
Sailing = RSYC at port Klang or RLYC at Langkawi or Admirals Cove in Port Dickson
swimming, diving, = big house with pool or condo
running, walking, = Langkawi or Prot Dickson good
yoga, = anywhere where there is a fitness centre
seeing different cultures, = anywhere in Malaysia, but Melaka most mixed
having a bit of space to live in preferably with a view = condo overlooking sea = Port Dickson, Penang or Langkawi
and cooking / entertaining. ... anywhere

I would recomend Port Dickson or Langkawi if you like rural and peaceful.

Avoid September October rains a lot in Langkawi - West Malaysia weather same all over, (now the haze has lifted)
... other 2 questions best answered by Penang community which is where a lot of MM2Hers are based.
KL based are more of the working or semiretired bunch

BTW my boat is for sale :-)
Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KSAMS

2. If we are only around for 4 ish months and probably travelling for 2-3 weeks during this can we get reasonable rental accommodation and be able to leave a couple of suitcases behind for our return?
Most of the upmarket condos seem to have rules against subletting for periods less than 6 months. We were able to find plenty of alternatives using airbnb. Many places on there will offer monthly rentals. They can be a bit basic but offer a much cheaper alternative to several months in a hotel. It also gives an opportunity to try before you buy into the lifestyle of living at home and doing the occasional bit of cooking etc.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 5:41 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

If you're really only going to spend Jan to Apr here, I would be thinking about checking the weather at that time, to be honest.

This year, July wasn't too bad but very very humid. It will still be humid in Jan to April, but not as bad as July. August and September we had awful haze and I imagine that would put off anyone moving here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.