Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Old Nov 29th 2014, 8:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Originally Posted by the troubadour

Just back from Malta and Italy and the former very tempting.
Yes, the Med is very tempting. Some naughty person sent me some snaps from their sometime home in Cyprus last night. Oh yes please..... very nice I might have to think about a holiday there one of these years.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang - Why This Asian Paradise May Be The Best Place In The World To Retire

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Not sure which rainy season you mean, as it rains quite a bit throughout the year in Penang but doesn't go on and on and on
LOL perhaps I should have said rainiest months. I was thinking of September and October. Must say I didn'the see much rain on Penang when I passed through in July.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

steveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes we like the rain, because it drops the temperature. Beginning of the year with nearly 3 hot months without rain, we pray for it. Rain is needed and sometimes most welcome.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which rainy season you mean, as it rains quite a bit throughout the year in Penang but doesn't go on and on and on (like you get in Phuket in the wet season). Penang is somewhat sheltered by Sumatra so the south-west monsoon is not as rainy as Phuket gets.

The Haze of course is a different matter
Hi.
Malaysia is def one place I find intriguing,
have been researching Bali as well, then onto Malaysia/Thailand/etc as my 11yr old kid and I need a break after 3yr divorce trauma(blessed as full time single dad) and spoiling ourselves for 6-12 months travel dreams etc before returning to Oz.
Friend living in Bali can arrange me rental of a 2/3 bed home w/pool/Air Cond etc roughly aud$150(450Ringgit) - aud$300(900Ringgit) p/week(around a 2-3mnth stay) but Malaysia(Penang area) this seems impossible as all I see is apartments only, am I correct? Space restrictions on the island causing this?
Am thinking Malaysia as our base for "asia hopping", Thailand, etc
Seatbelt is on and am Prepared to be enlightened by forum members here.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 6:45 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

There are houses to rent on Penang island with a variety of prices.

But, if you're planning on using it as a base and travelling around a bit, why not rent a condo unit? Much easier from a security aspect, and there are tons and tons of empty condo units. And with a condo you get to use all the facilities.... swimming pool and gym are usual. Some condos will have other facilities. Ours has a snooker room, table tennis room. Others may have tennis courts etc.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

There are houses to rent on Penang island with a variety of prices.

But, if you're planning on using it as a base and travelling around a bit, why not rent a condo unit? Much easier from a security aspect, and there are tons and tons of empty condo units. And with a condo you get to use all the facilities.... swimming pool and gym are usual. Some condos will have other facilities. Ours has a snooker room, table tennis room. Others may have tennis courts etc.
Thanks for the reply and I hear you on the security issue but we're both off waterfront living miles from a city, w/pool/ bushwalking etc, kinda promised that although small house/pool what I'd find,
if your a kid, so nice to have bit grassed yard to roll on and a plunge pool, four conrete walls in a high rise is something neither of us have ever experienced and NEVER want to try and tolerate.
Walking distance to a sandy beach as well, after spending more time looking, penang maybe not suitable, any other areas in Malaysia with that brief anyone can think of.
Also need to rent hd for a while there, I know there are hd dealers over there.
(someone else said Thailand, that'll be another time)

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 7:40 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:39 am

Ok. You may get a small piece of grass. A plunge pool.... not sure about that. But, anyway, have a browse through the numerous property sites and see what you can find.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Ok. You may get a small piece of grass. A plunge pool.... not sure about that. But, anyway, have a browse through the numerous property sites and see what you can find.
Thats why I came here, done that for 2 days, they're as clear as mud, terrible webpage layouts for Malaysia, bali was was far simpler to find, expected same,
shame. Shall call some agents come Monday.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 7:45 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:48 am

Ah I see.

Tell ya what, maybe a better idea to start a new topic in the main Malaysia section (not Retirement and MM2H) with title something like....

Where can I get a decent house rental with plunge pool in Penang?

There's quite a lot of regular posters in Penang and some I know live in houses so might be able to suggest a few areas. (Sorry, I'm in 4 walls of concrete )
Old Jan 17th 2015, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Ah I see.

Tell ya what, maybe a better idea to start a new topic in the main Malaysia section (not Retirement and MM2H) with title something like....

Where can I get a decent house rental with plunge pool in Penang?

There's quite a lot of regular posters in Penang and some I know live in houses so might be able to suggest a few areas. (Sorry, I'm in 4 walls of concrete )
Cheers.
Glad that you can handle that.
I'd rather deepfry my eyeballs
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blackey-Oz - sounds like the Perhentian islands on the east coast of Malaysia are for you.
Beautiful beaches - great snorkelling and you can get a simple house right on the beach.
Look at "the Reef" on Perhentian Besar - one of our favourite places.

Have fun with your kid
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fenella
Hi Blackey-Oz - sounds like the Perhentian islands on the east coast of Malaysia are for you.
Beautiful beaches - great snorkelling and you can get a simple house right on the beach.
Look at "the Reef" on Perhentian Besar - one of our favourite places.

Have fun with our kid
^^ There ya go ^^
Big CHEERS, will start searching right now, never heard of it.
THANKS !!
EDITED:- Just checked, looks lovely but rather be on mainland(or island closer like Penang), not sure why, just hunch but cheers.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 17th 2015 at 8:10 am.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:10 am

Thought you wanted a base for travelling around Asia No major airport on the east coast.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Fenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond reputeFenella has a reputation beyond repute

oops - sorry. That'll teach me to read the whole thread :-)
Old Jan 17th 2015, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Thought you wanted a base for travelling around Asia No major airport on the east coast.
now I'm confused, I see KL is closer to east coast but anyway, that island too remote for plans(providing this is it I found on google)
Bit hard to jump on the bike & ride a motorcycle out of home and discover malaysia methinks

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...anu,+Malaysia/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.