Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a Bank Account in Kuala Lumpur

Regarding rental cars, my latest was in the US and it was explicitly stated that debit card was not accepted. (And that the limit of the credit card should be sufficient to cover for max liability)
Where to Rent a Car Using a Debit Card | USA Today
Old Nov 19th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Air Asia sometimes will reject cards or charge more from other than their affiliated bank (or Malaysian-based banks) but when I looked they treat the CC and the Debit card from those banks the same.
I have a different experience with AirAsia in that they would charge a payment with (any) VISA credit card something like RM 45 whereas with a debit card of a Malaysian bank (e.g. CIMB) only a few RM. I forgot whether that was RM 3 or 4. I remember this as it is one of the very few exceptions where I paid online with a debit card instead of a credit card.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

You are sure that it was the debit card and not CIMBclicks with the RM4 fee? If you not have accounts with CIMB or Maybank you can book AirAsia for RM4 also with the other online banking option called FPX or similar.

By the way, FD rates are quite good at the moment with numerous 1 year 4,xx % options. As my MM2H FD is passing the 12 months again, I am fighting at the moment for climbing over 4% again after being pulled down from 4,50 to 3,95 last year.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, did it with 4,20. That should allow a couple of steaks more in 2018
Old Dec 28th 2017, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by eCdD
Yeah, did it with 4,20. That should allow a couple of steaks more in 2018
What bank do you have ? And do you have to bargain every year at renewal, even when it's locked with them for the mm2h FD ?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Have many, but the MM2H FD is @ OCBC

And yes, you have to bargain every year. Only other option is to choose a bank that does 60 month FD. Affin Bank is doing this for around 4%. Would have preferred this, but I did not have an agent, so I did not have the information how to handle the FD best. And did not know this forum. I just took the bank that offered the best rate when I had to place. At least I did not end up with HSBC whch was my original plan.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

So OCBC offering 4.2%? Much better than on their website. It seems like your bargaining power is limited when you can't move the FD. Do you have other FD with them also that you can threaten to move?

How is affin bank? Online they state rate for MM2H is 3.45%, 4% would be quite good.
CIMB also offer 60month FD, but not sure if they do that for MM2H?

I'm also looking at who has best FD rate for USD, might put some there, as the rates are much better than in the US.

Last edited by stepen; Dec 28th 2017 at 8:33 am.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

OCBC have have: https://www.ocbc.com.my/personal-ban.../FixedDeposit/

Promotion finishes on Friday. "Fresh funds required" is always negotiable. And yes, I also have other FD with them, but much more important is a good relationship with your priority manager.

CIMB usually has good FD rates, I just did 3,9 for 3 month. But so far they never offered me anything longer than 12 months, at least not with preferred rate.

So far I did not make business with Affin, plan to do so next year.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

OCBC have have: https://www.ocbc.com.my/personal-ban.../FixedDeposit/

Promotion finishes on Friday. "Fresh funds required" is always negotiable. And yes, I also have other FD with them, but much more important is a good relationship with your priority manager.

CIMB usually has good FD rates, I just did 3,9 for 3 month. But so far they never offered me anything longer than 12 months, at least not with preferred rate.

So far I did not make business with Affin, plan to do so next year.
To have a "priority manager" you have to deposit above the threshold for priority accounts right? so if you do smaller amount is it still possible to bargain?
Old Dec 29th 2017, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone faced problem while open secondary bank account recently?
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stepen
To have a "priority manager" you have to deposit above the threshold for priority accounts right?
In theory yes. But you can open a priority / preferred account directly and tell them that the funds will follow. Anyway you need an account first before you can transfer in with Transferwise or bring in the MYR from the moneychanger. Actually at CIMB it took me a couple of months to reach the required 200k.

Originally Posted by stepen
To have a "priority manager" you have to deposit above the threshold for priority accounts right? so if you do smaller amount is it still possible to bargain?
All is negotiable in Malaysia
Old Jan 5th 2018, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiat137
Does anyone faced problem while open secondary bank account recently?
I remember from last year that either AmBank or Public Bank does not accept MM2Hers as customers. I think it was AmBank, but I am not sure.

Many do not give out CreditCards to MM2Hers, but that is a different topic.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 12:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Many do not give out CreditCards to MM2Hers, but that is a different topic.
Some require you to take out a fixed deposit to act as a kind of safety net for them in return for a credit card.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Some require you to take out a fixed deposit to act as a kind of safety net for them in return for a credit card.
Is there any bank that does not require this?

I am talking about the banks that not give a CC even with putting in this deposit.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:58 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any bank that does not require this?

I am talking about the banks that not give a CC even with putting in this deposit.
I don't know. I use mainly ATM debit cards for purchases. Maybe someone else can suggest....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.