Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Retirement and MM2H
Reload this Page >

Besides Penang Where Would You Be Happy To Retire

Besides Penang Where Would You Be Happy To Retire

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Besides Penang Where Would You Be Happy To Retire

As most expats tend to move to Penang to retire,while those expats coming to work obviously favour KL,what would have been your second choice?
Or perhaps it was Penang or nothing?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 7:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Besides Penang Where Would You Be Happy To Retire

Do you mean just within Malaysia,or elsewhere?

We first retired to Phuket but it drove us nuts and didn't seem like a long-term option.

After that, our options were to check out Penang, Hua Hin, Rayong area (can't remember the name). We went to Penang first and that was that. Have visited a few other places in Malaysia but this is the only place that I wanted to live (well, so far).

I know a couple who started off in Kuantan, moved to Penang, and have ended up back in Kuantan again. Sometimes you just have to try out places.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I are planning to retire to Melaka, perhaps as soon as mid-November if all goes well. My wife is from Melaka, and most of her family still live around that area.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Do you mean just within Malaysia,or elsewhere?

We first retired to Phuket but it drove us nuts and didn't seem like a long-term option.

After that, our options were to check out Penang, Hua Hin, Rayong area (can't remember the name). We went to Penang first and that was that. Have visited a few other places in Malaysia but this is the only place that I wanted to live (well, so far).

I know a couple who started off in Kuantan, moved to Penang, and have ended up back in Kuantan again. Sometimes you just have to try out places.
I meant within Malaysia yes.It seems Penang is way over subscribed in the numbers going there...wouldn't fancy KL myself,but like I say,I would imagine that is more for working than retirement in mind.
Melaka has a few....Jahore even less....Kuantan, not sure of the couple byt I think teak was living there for a considerable time.
One person was moving to Port Dickson(NS) but no further news on how she was fearing.....can't recall many others.

In all other retirement countries, Spain, Portugal,Malta,Cyprus,Thailand,the folk are found in far more locations within the country.
It just seems to me Malaysia has in the eyes of most retirees far more limited options available.

So if Penang was not an option is there another location in Malaysia that would warrent a second place...plan B if you like....or as I suspect would Malaysia no longer be a suitable retirement option?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
My wife and I are planning to retire to Melaka, perhaps as soon as mid-November if all goes well. My wife is from Melaka, and most of her family still live around that area.
Melaka would probably be my choice as well. Not sure about all the changes if I'd fel the same after a longer stay. There a saying about not returning to a place you once knew....
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:51 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

There are folks all over Malaysia I think, but maybe not all of them come on this forum.

The couple in Kuantan - no, not Teak. Yes I remember a lady who went to Port Dickson too.

I know of retirees in Langkawi - too quiet for me - but if you're into boating/yachting a possible option. I know a couple in Ipoh - they love it there. I know a few folk in Johor. I know some couples in and around KL.

Penang has a lot going for it and you have to think about long-term retirement (eventually). It's got an international airport. Plenty of good hospitals and clinics and support from other MM2Hers. Something to think about.

As you say, it's great that there are more folks on the forums who are talking of Melaka. I'm sure there must be a big community of retirees there. Nice that people are now posting info. It will attract more retirees that way.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bakedbean
There are folks all over Malaysia I think, but maybe not all of them come on this forum.

The couple in Kuantan - no, not Teak. Yes I remember a lady who went to Port Dickson too.

I know of retirees in Langkawi - too quiet for me - but if you're into boating/yachting a possible option. I know a couple in Ipoh - they love it there. I know a few folk in Johor. I know some couples in and around KL.

Penang has a lot going for it and you have to think about long-term retirement (eventually). It's got an international airport. Plenty of good hospitals and clinics and support from other MM2Hers. Something to think about.

As you say, it's great that there are more folks on the forums who are talking of Melaka. I'm sure there must be a big community of retirees there. Nice that people are now posting info. It will attract more retirees that way.
I've never been to Langkawi but like you fear too quiet for me as well. Ipoh I have only stopped once for a night,many years back and other times just pased through. Can't say it left an impression though but not infers little.

The Cameroon Highlands has an attraction but unlikey to be. Rather expensive as well.

Be really grand to be able to build up a Malaysia network as such with so many folk having moved over there.

I guess we can all play out part by posting on a regular basis and encouraging those that post to stay with us.

I'd really like to know how the lady that moved from Serembam to Port Dickson found the move.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:28 pm

Send her a PM??

I've heard good things about PD. She's probably having a ball
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:48 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All, I would like to add Kota Kinabalu to the list of places to retire to. I must confess I have yet to visit anywhere in Malaysia other than Sabah so cannot compare (any volunteers?), but I like the place. It's the home of my wife, our younger son, daughter in law and 2 grandchildren so no plans to retire anywhere else.