moving to madras

Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:47 am
Just Joined

orchid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to madras

Hi there,

We may have the opportunity to move to Madras in the coming weeks. Problem is, we know very little about the place...
We'd be very pleased if someone somehow had information regarding settling down there (health, flat of house rental, safety,...) knowing that we'd bring along our 2-year-old daughter!
We do wait for your kind replies...
Old May 31st 2006, 5:48 am
Just Joined

davidtee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to madras

Hi,

I'm a Brit who has just relocated to Chennai (Madras) and find it great. It is very hot right now and I've had a/c put into the house to make it possible to sleep!

Settling in was made much easier as my wife is Indian and her mother is basically from Chennai. But having said that, people seem very friendly and willing to help. I have not yet felt ripped off by anyone.

We've got a 4 bed, 3 storey house in South Chennai about 1km from the beach. Nice sea breezes on the terrace all day. It costs me Rs25,000 (about £300) per month. You can find cheaper for apartments or in other areas.

The city is busy and getting busier. Traffic is exciting and it might be advisable to get a driver (3-5000 per month).

I feel it is safe here and there seem ot be few health issues. Mosquitoes are around but I don't think there is malaria here. Get the usual typhoid and Hep jabs before coming.

As for your 2-year old, Pampers seem to be in ready supply as do various kids foods. But don't expect all the wonders of Mothercare!

Hope this helps.

David

Originally Posted by orchid
Hi there,

We may have the opportunity to move to Madras in the coming weeks. Problem is, we know very little about the place...
We'd be very pleased if someone somehow had information regarding settling down there (health, flat of house rental, safety,...) knowing that we'd bring along our 2-year-old daughter!
We do wait for your kind replies...
Old Jun 11th 2006, 2:04 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I am a Brit in Mumbai and just to tell you we now have a mother care!!!!!
Not sure if you read the Goa posts put I have had a problem with my internet banking my British bank will not allow me to use it now been
here a few years and all of a sudden they stopped me opening it online
the verbal info was that the UK is changing the banking rules for those in SE Asia
Old Aug 11th 2006, 5:02 pm
Coolest dude

coolguy_7382 is an unknown quantity at this point

Madras (A.k.a Chennai) is one of the safest cities in India. It takes a while to get used to Chennai life style which can be quite borring ( Night life sucks because pubs close down at 12 due to Police order) but there are so many other activities like driving down to Pondy in scenic East coast road and experiencing french tradition and exploring mahaballipuram etc!

It's extremely important to be in good locality as that matters a lot in Chennai. My picks would be " Boat club road - Quite expensive with rentals of around 500-800 GBP" and Poes Garden - extremely posh locality and that comes with high budget.

If you are tight in budget ( around 300-400 GBP) then i would recommend some places of Adayar and Alwarpet. It all boils down to where you work and how long you would be willing to commute.

Chennai also has some excellant schools, I know there is a American British school where all the childern from Consulate used to go, there is also sishya which is up to International standards.

People are friendly but watch out for the Auto guys ( a three wheeled vehicle like a taxi) and always be aware.

I'm a Chennaite but based in Bermuda, give me a shout if you need any help.

Cheers