Madras/Chennai

Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:29 am
Just Joined

lashworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Madras/Chennai

There is a large possibility we will be moving to Chennai in November for a couple of years. Can anyone give me an idea of how much a decent western house/appartment with 3 or 4 bedrooms would cost to rent in a good area and if you know of a good real estate company to deal with.

What areas would you also recomend for living in?

Many Thanks

Lisa
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:23 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madras/Chennai

Beware of flooding in Chennai - they had big problems near the port during the tsunami and I heard that tidal incursions did happen.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

netbeat is an unknown quantity at this point

Where will you be working? If you will be in the IT corridor then OMR (Old Mahabailpuram road) is a good place. In Chennai like the rest of India, it all depends on how much your budget is.

A decent flat will set you back by about 30-40K per month maybe more.

Have you considered purchasing? If you plan to stay there a couple of years then purchasing might be an option espcially as Chennai is enjoying a boom and there are developers chomping at the bits to offload some of their properties.

Rajiv
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:28 pm
Banned

Location: Goring-by-Sea,West Sussex, Algarve,Portugal and Cochin,Kerala
Blue_Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Adayar is nice. The area around the Theosophical Society. My uncle was the Director of Fisheries in Chennai. When he retired, he settled down there.

Don't know where you work, but Adayar could be a bit out of town.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by netbeat
Where will you be working? If you will be in the IT corridor then OMR (Old Mahabailpuram road) is a good place. In Chennai like the rest of India, it all depends on how much your budget is.

A decent flat will set you back by about 30-40K per month maybe more.

Have you considered purchasing? If you plan to stay there a couple of years then purchasing might be an option espcially as Chennai is enjoying a boom and there are developers chomping at the bits to offload some of their properties.

Rajiv
My husband is going to be working in the Velacheri area, we did visit a few weeks ago and liked the Beant Nagar area and the boat club area. Does anyone kow a good realestate person, the guy we had seems to inflate the rates!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lashworth
My husband is going to be working in the Velacheri area, we did visit a few weeks ago and liked the Beant Nagar area and the boat club area. Does anyone kow a good realestate person, the guy we had seems to inflate the rates!
can an English person buy property in India, someone told us we would not be able?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue_Max
Adayar is nice. The area around the Theosophical Society. My uncle was the Director of Fisheries in Chennai. When he retired, he settled down there.

Don't know where you work, but Adayar could be a bit out of town.
we liked adyar as well, but I am not sure how easy it will be to get a house there that we like.
Do you know of any agents?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:38 pm
Banned

Location: Goring-by-Sea,West Sussex, Algarve,Portugal and Cochin,Kerala
Blue_Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lashworth
we liked adyar as well, but I am not sure how easy it will be to get a house there that we like.
Do you know of any agents?
I only visit Chennai once in while. Don't know any agents. You might find them on the net but may best to get a recommendation from colleagues at work.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Victor-PP is an unknown quantity at this point

hey

I've lived in chennai with my parents last year for 6 months and I can assure you one of the best areas in Chennai is Adyar(especially Indira Nagar). It's a great area. My flat was clean, the highest floor, in a great area, new and with 3 bedrooms was 35 or 40 thousand rupees. It may seem expensive but it was worthwile.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Victor-PP is an unknown quantity at this point

hey

I've lived in chennai with my parents last year for 6 months and I can assure you one of the best areas in Chennai is Adyar(especially Indira Nagar). It's a great area. My flat was clean, the highest floor, in a great area, new and with 3 bedrooms was 35 or 40 thousand rupees. It may seem expensive but it was worthwile.