Kharkiv Ukraine

Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of
Default Kharkiv Ukraine

I am due to visit Kharkiv in the Ukraine in April to do with work. Won't be there that long really but in my free time I wondered what I must make a point of doing. Which hotel would you recommend? Good restaurants? What is the food like? Does it cater for veggies? And importantly what is the weather like - websites says around 13 degrees in April - is this accurate? Is it is a rather austere place - looks so on the web. I get the impression there will be little to come home with? What are the shops like? I don't yet know much about the currency- is the cost of living high? For example a two course meal with wine?

Any help appreciated.

Carol
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kharkiv Ukraine

Sorry I cant help, but whilst you are there could you ask em where all our Gas is?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sorry I cant help, but whilst you are there could you ask em where all our Gas is?
Need plenty of it to keep us all warm - freezing here as I recover from the worst bout of flu I have had in years!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Lunya Rocha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
I am due to visit Kharkiv in the Ukraine in April to do with work. Won't be there that long really but in my free time I wondered what I must make a point of doing. Which hotel would you recommend? Good restaurants? What is the food like? Does it cater for veggies? And importantly what is the weather like - websites says around 13 degrees in April - is this accurate? Is it is a rather austere place - looks so on the web. I get the impression there will be little to come home with? What are the shops like? I don't yet know much about the currency- is the cost of living high? For example a two course meal with wine?

Any help appreciated.

Carol

Hi, i am originally from Ukraine, and can say that u will find Ukraine pretty nice country. Kharkiv is a huge city with approximately 1,400,000 people, so logically it has alot of nice restaurants and places for relaxing and fun. And yes, it cater for veggies.Temperature in April is really about +13C, but it can be lower or higher, so be ready to see both +2 and +18

Talking about prices for living in hotels u can find different rates, so maybe for u even would be easier and cheaper to rent apartment

but also check these pages
http://www.ukraine-hotel.com to see hotels and prices

http://www.kharkovrent.com.ua/

cost of living..hmm, be honest compare with life in europe its cheaper,especially food..for example in nice restaurant for dinner ( two course meal with wine plus some dessert) will cost to u about 20-35 euro, biggest price for wine of course, but without it u can pay only 8-15 euros, in good cafes it can be even cheaper..but if u will rent appartment i recommend u to buy food in supermarkets,food is really tasty and healthy.Or even on specific markets where old women sell really natural and veeeeeeeeeery cheap products

here the page where u can see some restaurants of Kharkiv, its at russian language but u can see photoes of them and average price of dinner without drinks

http://www.resto.kharkov.ua/restoran_type.php?type=6

and of course if u will have free time to go to Kiev and Lviv i recommend u to do it!! U will be totally impressed with beauty of those cities,totally different by their mood, history and architecture
if u will have any question, you can ask me
Attached Thumbnails Kharkiv Ukraine-345px-kharkov002.jpg   Kharkiv Ukraine-800px-kharkov0001.jpg   Kharkiv Ukraine-800px-%25d0%2591%25d0%25b5%25d0%25bd%25d0%25b4%25d0%25b5%25d1%2580_%25d0%25a5%25d0%25b0%25d1%2580%25d1%258c%25d0%25ba%25d0%25%25d0%25b2.jpg  
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:19 am
Just Joined

liquidtexas is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be there in late April. When I travel to Ukraine or Russia, I usually rent an apartment. It is much better than staying in a hotel. Send me a PM and I will give you much more information about Kharkov.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Libya is on your doorstep. Can't you phone Gadaffi and ask him to fill up your tank?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Lunya Roche and liquidtexas - I am looking forward to the visit. A hotel is being sorted for me and my colleagues so it will just be a question of best places to eat in the evening and what we can see after we have done a day's work. We are being linked up with various people whilst we are there so perhaps they will also provide us with some ideas but just in case your web links will be very useful.
Thanks
Carol
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Libya is on your doorstep. Can't you phone Gadaffi and ask him to fill up your tank?
Yes ...... but what with
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

olenka is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in Kharkiv. It is a big city, but most of the population live in so-called "sleeping areas" away from city centre. "Downtown" boasts some nice hotels and great restaurants. Although, the restaurants look fantastic and promise authentic "french" "Italian" cuisine etc......usually it has nothing to do with those. But there are some great restaurants with traditional ukrainian cuisine. As majority of people enjoy dining and drinking out, there will be no shortage of advice...
As far as sightseeing ......not much there...some grand soviet architecture, few churches, biggest square in Europe, which have seen many parades and peace demonstrations under Communist regime and now a place of celebrations, fairs, drunken youth and broken glass....
There is the biggest "Fashion"market of Ukraine in Kharkiv. It will take days to browse it. Buses arrives from all over Ukraine, bringing people to shop in this low cost, low quality "babylon". You will be impresses!
Shopping is interesting, as there are shops selling all kind if designer gear.....but it is for "label victims" and not real. Couple of brands there "Mango" etc.
Great Underground system, trolleybuses (have you seen one?), trams, a lots of taxis......but usually no seat belts.
But......the people are nice and friendly!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olenka
I was born in Kharkiv. It is a big city, but most of the population live in so-called "sleeping areas" away from city centre. "Downtown" boasts some nice hotels and great restaurants. Although, the restaurants look fantastic and promise authentic "french" "Italian" cuisine etc......usually it has nothing to do with those. But there are some great restaurants with traditional ukrainian cuisine. As majority of people enjoy dining and drinking out, there will be no shortage of advice...
As far as sightseeing ......not much there...some grand soviet architecture, few churches, biggest square in Europe, which have seen many parades and peace demonstrations under Communist regime and now a place of celebrations, fairs, drunken youth and broken glass....
There is the biggest "Fashion"market of Ukraine in Kharkiv. It will take days to browse it. Buses arrives from all over Ukraine, bringing people to shop in this low cost, low quality "babylon". You will be impresses!
Shopping is interesting, as there are shops selling all kind if designer gear.....but it is for "label victims" and not real. Couple of brands there "Mango" etc.
Great Underground system, trolleybuses (have you seen one?), trams, a lots of taxis......but usually no seat belts.
But......the people are nice and friendly!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Olenka - what is the cost of living like? Compared with the Uk? Just so that I know how much cash to take - and are ATMs plentiful?

Carol
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:02 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

ATMs aren't a problem in Ukraine, generally.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
ATMs aren't a problem in Ukraine, generally.
We visited the Ukraine (Kiev) almost two years ago now, and there were ATMs everywhere. The people were amazing and the food fabulous (being part polish I may be a little biased).

Unfortunately we decided to only stay one night to visit the farm and long lost relatives we found after completing our geneology as there were protests against the govt. We would love to go back one day.

Although we had heard stories about the border guards demanding bribes etc to cross over from poland, we had no problem at all. In fact they barely looked at our passports.

Have a great trip. I would love to hear all about it with pics when you get back.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willmore
We visited the Ukraine (Kiev) almost two years ago now, and there were ATMs everywhere. The people were amazing and the food fabulous (being part polish I may be a little biased).

Unfortunately we decided to only stay one night to visit the farm and long lost relatives we found after completing our geneology as there were protests against the govt. We would love to go back one day.

Although we had heard stories about the border guards demanding bribes etc to cross over from poland, we had no problem at all. In fact they barely looked at our passports.

Have a great trip. I would love to hear all about it with pics when you get back.
Thanks for the message - 3 flights to get to Kharkiv - a full day with all the waiting about. I have a busy week at work but I am hoping for some free time in the evenings. I am also hoping the weather will be mild.